How staff knows you're in your stateroom:

sea-cruise

That is interesting. I have seen this board on several bridges. However, I really don't think the stewards have access to the bridge to see it. :)

It's actually a piece of safety equipment on the bridge, and used "in case of emergency" only..........except to demonstrate it on occasion to inquiring passengers.

The stewards have access to small pieces of paper!:D

Rick

I don't understand that "small piece of paper" trick. That would only show your door had been opened. You may have just popped into the room to grab a camera or something and immediately left so it doesn't really indicate the room is occupied. :confused:

In the interests of "stirring the pot", on CSI: Miami, there was a murder that involved a cruise ship; they were able to use the ship's keycard software program to tell when the occupants had entered/left the room and also opened their safe (done with their room key). Granted, I know this was TV land, but ...:rolleyes:

On my last cruise on Pullmantur's Holiday Dream (ex Europa from the eighties)

on the outside door jamb, a manual rotating disc with a message window, where you could leave instructions for your steward from a series of pre printed messages on the disc. He would rotate it back to the start after finishing. I had never seen this system before, low tech but it worked if you remembered to set it.

I think it was probably a holdover from it,s Europa days for Hapag-Lloyd.

Hmmm. Every time I entered or left my room I would see my cabin steward working SOMEWHERE along the corridor and I would wave to her. She knew when I was and wasn't in the cabin because she SAW me come and go. I swear, the woman worked non-stop from before I woke up till (at least) 10:00 P.M.!

On my last cruise on Pullmantur's Holiday Dream (ex Europa from the eighties)

on the outside door jamb, a manual rotating disc with a message window, where you could leave instructions for your steward from a series of pre printed messages on the disc. He would rotate it back to the start after finishing. I had never seen this system before, low tech but it worked if you remembered to set it.

I think it was probably a holdover from it,s Europa days for Hapag-Lloyd.

The newer NCL ships have this system. It works great.

Archived