How staff knows you're in your stateroom:

sea-cruise

I was just posting this information on my RCCL roll call board, and thought that a newbie might find it an interesting read:

When we were aboard the Infinity, Spring 2001 for her inaugural to Hawaii, as some of you already know the ship was late in arriving after having been built.

We had to notify our customers of a change in plans and that our shop would be closed at a different date, so I wrote a certified letter to Richard Fain and expressed my disappointment.

He treated us so well, he upgraded us to a wonderful suite and kept us supplied with champagne & wines as well as setting up dinner with the Captain and tours of the ship.

The interesting thing that we saw on the Bridge was a console with keyboard & screen. He typed in our cabin number and a diagram of our stateroom appeared. If the cabins are occupied there is a green dot (heat sensored) in the cabin. If there is a fire, the dot is red, and if the water is left running for a very long period of time, the dot is grey.

Just thought newbies on this board might be interested in something I remembered seeing. This is probably the reason that the stewards know when it's occupied.

Something's got to be wrong with that. On our recent Galaxy cruise, our steward for the first few nights kept interrupting us after dinner! He seemed to think we were scheduled for late seating when we had early, so they didn't clean our room during our dinner and we had to leave the room afterwards.

We know he felt badly for making the mistake and after two nights there was no problem. I am sure if he had a little light, this wouldn't have been an issue.

On the QE2, as recently as two years ago, they were still using the small fleck of white paper routine. They would balance a small speck of paper (that you and I wouldn't notice) on the door handle, so that when you turned the handle, and opened the door to leave, the paper would fall on the carpet. They could then knock with some assurance that you weren't in the cabin....and do the cleaning...and replace the speck of paper. Our attendant was like a ghost on that last trip!

Of course, assumes that you and your s.o. are doing the same thing at the same time, but we always found the system cute!

Andrew

I know nothing for sure but I believe the green dot would mean that for this cruise the room is rented to be occupied. I doubt that it means that someone is physically in the room. Only that the room is not available and has paying customers.

I know nothing for sure but I believe the green dot would mean that for this cruise the room is rented to be occupied. I doubt that it means that someone is physically in the room. Only that the room is not available and has paying customers.

gofish, I'm only writing what what the Captain showed us, and how he explained it. You can either believe me, or not, it's up to you. Motion sensored, heat sensored, whatever...I am only trying to write a piece of information for anyone who might be interested.

P.S. I'm back to my roll call...so enjoy hashing it over...Happy Cruising to All !

On the QE2, as recently as two years ago, they were still using the small fleck of white paper routine. They would balance a small speck of paper (that you and I wouldn't notice) on the door handle, so that when you turned the handle, and opened the door to leave, the paper would fall on the carpet. They could then knock with some assurance that you weren't in the cabin....and do the cleaning...and replace the speck of paper. Our attendant was like a ghost on that last trip!

Of course, assumes that you and your s.o. are doing the same thing at the same time, but we always found the system cute!

Andrew

They used the small fleck of paper procedure on our November 2006 transatlantic cruise on the Millennium. It's a simple and pretty effective procedure.

I think the cabin stewards live under the beds. With the speed that they clean the room and disappear from view, they have to. One night, we left our room for dinner, walked down the hall about 8 cabins for the elevator, pressed the button and realized we forgot the camera. We went back to our room and found it totally cleaned, new towels, fresh water and ice - and the cabin steward was nowhere in sight. It couldn't have been more than 5 minutes after we left our cabin.

That is interesting. I have seen this board on several bridges. However, I really don't think the stewards have access to the bridge to see it. :)

Char, I think you are correct. I just spoke to DH about it and he reminded me that the Captain had said that it's a safety feature that HIS staff of officers were privy to viewing.

I wonder if they would use the "occupation" feature incase of ship's evacuation...To be sure all cabins were cleared?

I have seen the board on the bridge as well. It is used to determine where a problem on the ship is and to make sure everyone is evacuated in case of emergency. The room stewards don't have this feature, they just use the paper trick.

HajekFam, You are hilarious! I can picture them crouched under there.

MaBell, Now that I think of it...I'm going to use the paper trick on DH when he is napping (only I'm not going to make the bed in the middle of the afternoon)..I am going to think up a trickery that will work in MY favor!

Andrew....I LOVE your dog. We have two doxies and DD has one like yours.

They used the small fleck of paper procedure on our November 2006 transatlantic cruise on the Millennium. It's a simple and pretty effective procedure.

Must be a thing on the Millie because they did it on my Dec 2004 Millenium Caribbean cruise too.

Or, perhaps they just know that when the sales at the martini bar spike, it's a pretty safe bet to clean all those Deck six aft cabins I like so much!!!:D :D

Andrew[/quote

Andrew,

I never thought about that. Maybe they have a spy in the Martini Bar who lets them know when you arrive.:D

Hi Andrew and Joelmarj! Long time no talk.

Anyway, I think I noticed the paper in the door jamb on our second Infinity cruise so I watch for it on every cruise now. I've seen it on all of our Infinity cruises since then and on our Galaxy cruise last October. I'll be looking again in August when we cruise to Alaska. Wish you guys were going with us!

Kathleen

We just returned from a cruise on Oceania and they had a system that we experienced for the first time. Basically you were asked to be a card on the outside of the door when you were ready to have your room cleaned. Once in the morning when you left and once when you departed for dinner. I found the system to work very well and I had not experienced it on other cruise lines. I would imagine that they may have cleaned your room even if you did not put out the sign, but they mentioned it to us the first day and we used it.

Personally we liked the system, but I am always amazed as to how they always seem to know when you depart your cabin.

Thanks Phil...That is nice of you to say & I appreciate it. If you want to read something really funny go over to the Royal Carribean Board and the thread title is "All Things Explorer of the Seas". On page 10 I have just posted something that once happened to me aboard a ship. It's post # 376 & 384.

Archived