Ketchikan Kayak excursion...need help

SakeDad

Need help.....I have never kayaked and would like to try it. But there is a VERY IMPORTANT thing I must have to to make this OK for me. I am an avid photographer so I need a kayak/guide/trip that will make me feel comfortable taking my camera along to take pictures. The kayaking part is not a problem as long as I know my camera will be safe!

Having said that.....which would you choose and why?

Tatoosh Islands Sea Kayaking

PriceAdult $154; Child $103DurationApproximately 4 1/2 hours (1 hr 40 mins paddling) Description Click here for more details Your kayak adventure begins with a ride to the north end of Ketchikan. At the Outdoor Adventure Center, you will gear up for a quick and exhilarating motorized inflatable boat ride to the Tatoosh Islands. Upon arrival, your friendly guides will present an informative kayak class and safety talk before launching from the beach in your double sea kayak. Keep an eye out for bald eagles, minks, land otters, seals and sea lions in the serene island environment of the Tongass National Forest.

NotesMinimum age is 8 years. Maximum weight 230 lbs. Maximum height 6' 7". Approximately 1 hr and 40 mins paddling time.

Eagle Islands Sea Kayak TourPriceAdult $94; Child $72DurationApproximately 3 1/4 hours (85 mins paddling time) DescriptionClick here for more details Your paddle in the Tongass National Forest begins with a ride to Clover Pass at the north end of Ketchikan. At the Outdoor Adventure Center, you will be introduced to your tandem kayak and receive a safety briefing from your guide. Gain confidence as you paddle out to Clover Island. The protected waters of Clover Pass provide the opportunity to experience the tranquil setting of the Tongass National Forest. You will learn about the natural and cultural history of the Tongass National Forest while keeping a keen eye out for bald eagles and their nests, seals, jumping salmon and when the tide is right, starfish.

Pennock Paddling - 2.45 Hours

Courtesy van pick up on cruise ship dock

Fun 2.5 hour paddle

Paddle Ketchikan's historic waterfront

Explore rainforest islands in the Tongass Narrows

Visit a Bald Eagle's nest

No experience necessary

Small group size

Southeast Sea Kayaks invites you to come and explore Alaska’s Inside Passage by kayak, and enjoy a unique view of Alaska’s wildlife, waterways and Ketchikan’s historic waterfront.

[/url]We leave from our waterfront location and go island hopping by kayak looking for wildlife in the protected waterways around Pennock, Snow and Gravina Islands. We follow the shoreline, paddling at times beneath huge branches stretching out over the shore where the rainforest reaches down to the water’s edge. An active Bald Eagle’s nest offers the opportunity to see these great birds nesting. Salmon returning to spawn leap around the kayaks and occasionally we’ll watch as eagles swoop down to snatch one from the surface and return it to the nest to feed their young.

Seals follow the dip of our paddles and brilliantly colored starfish are clearly visible beneath the kayaks in the crystal clear water. Kingfishers and Great Blue Herons feed along the shore and Raven is ever present.

Although there are no guarantees on seeing whales we can see pods of Humpbacks and Orcas. Occasionally we will paddle with Alaska’s endangered Stellar Sea Lions. This trip also offers the opportunity to see Ketchikan’s historic waterfront and to paddle alongside the buildings built on pilings over the water. Creek Street’s old houses and the historic buildings of the frontier red light district lean out over us as we paddle upstream with the returning salmon.

No experience is necessary for this kayaking adventure. Minimum age to participate is six years old. We have triple kayaks that can cater to our younger paddlers. All equipment is provided including dry bags for your cameras, binoculars to share and hydrophones so we can listen to the marine life beneath the water. Raingear is also provided. Southeast Sea Kayaks only uses lightweight fiberglass kayaks, not plastic, for your comfort and enjoyment.

Cruise ship visitors will meet our courtesy van at the visitors bureau rain gauge.. Visitors staying locally can also meet us at our store location.. We ask all parties to meet us 15 minutes prior to trip time.

Group size is limited to 12 unless you are a private party. This ensures we provide you a high quality, personalized trip with better opportunities to see wildlife. Cost is $89 per person. Children under 12 are $59 per child. Space is extremely limited in June, July and August and advance bookings are highly recommended to avoid disappointment.

OTHERS

Orcas Cove - 4 Hours

Adults: $149

Children: $119

Add a Misty Fjords Flightseeing Tour or to this adventure!

We depart our waterfront location and travel by boat to remote Orca’s Cove. Here you will meet your guides and become familiar with kayaking. After a basic lesson we take off paddling, wandering amongst numerous islands, immersing ourselves in the surroundings and keeping a lookout for wildlife.

All around, mountains rise out of the ocean and the rainforest presses right down to the shoreline. Several Bald Eagle nesting sites are active here. Along the shore we may see river otters, bear and Sitka Black Tail Deer. The water is inhabited by seals, sea lions, Dall’s porpoise, Orcas and Humpback whales. On occasion we see Minke whales. Sea birds are numerous and Cormorants dry off their wings on the rocks around us. The inter tidal marine life visible at low tide or underneath the kayaks in the clear water offers a colorful display of starfish, sun stars and sea cucumbers.

The area is frequently used by native peoples for subsistence use. Goose tongue grasses are collected along the beaches and excellent clamming exists at low tide. Steelhead trout run in the streams and encourage feeding eagles and bears. Our guides are trained naturalists and will enthusiastically share their love of the land with you.

Excellent opportunities exist for photographing exceptional scenery and wildlife. Dry bags are provided to protect your camera or video recorder and we encourage you to bring along plenty of film. During the trip you can pass your cameras to the guides to get spectacular pictures of yourself paddling. At trips end we will enjoy a smoked salmon snack and soft drinks before the return to town.

rca’s Cove Adventure is a four hour trip. Approximately 45 minutes is the total travel time by boat. The remainder is spent paddling. We use high quality fiberglass double touring kayaks by Current Designs on our trips – not plastic! The double kayaks we use have a centre pod and so you do not have to coordinate your paddling – making for a far more pleasurable trip. Our paddles are lightweight fiberglass. Rain gear, jackets and pants, are provided for your comfort. Our guides carry binoculars to share with the group and also hydrophones so we can listen to marine life beneath the water. We encourage you to dress in warm comfortable layers. Sneakers are ideal for foot wear rather than large hiking boots – we step into the kayaks from our boat so you will not get your feet wet.

Cruise ship visitors will meet our courtesy van at the visitors bureau rain gauge.. Visitors staying locally can also meet us at our store location.. We ask all parties to meet us 15 minutes prior to trip time.

Cost is $149 for each adult and $119 for each child under twelve years old. Minimum age to participate is six years old. Space is extremely limited for Orca’s Cove Adventure and we recommend you make prior reservations at least 30 days in advance for June, July and August.

Adults: $89
Children: $59

I would go with the last one, Orcas Cove. The price is good, it's in a remote area, it includes a smoked salmon lunch, the kayaks are fiberglass, and I'm not sure what a center pod is that enables you not to have to coordinate paddling, but it's a great idea. I've seen more than a few relationships ruined in a double kayak. The other big advantage is that there are only six people on a tour. Since the group can only paddle as fast as the slowest kayak, this cuts down on the likelihood that someone will be really slow.

Since you are an avid photographer, you might want to invest in a good drybag for your cruise big enough to hold what you consider the minimum in camera gear. I got a couple of small clear plastic drybags from Sierra Trading Post a few years ago for about $15 each that are perfect for my camera gear, binoculars, and rain gear. The clear plastic makes it easy to see what is where and the whole thing fits in my daypack, or I can snap it shut and carry it separately. You can put the camera in a separate ziplock bag for extra security. Even if it's not raining, it is easy to splash your partner while paddling and neither you nor your gear will stay dry. In the very unlikely event that you should tip the kayak (you have to really try to tip over a double), the dry bag not only keeps gear dry, but floats.

Kayaking is a great way to see Alaska and you should get some great eagle shots as well as intertidal critters if the tide is right. Whales, seals, etc. are a bonus.

I second Orcas cove. I did this kayak trip three years ago and loved it. I liked the fact that it is a small group (we had three people) and you are in a remote area-just you and the animals. They did give me a dry bag for my camera but keep in mind that it is Ketchikan and there is a good chance that it will rain. At that time, I only had a film camera. This time I will be taking a digital and I'm not sure about using it in the rain. Orcas cove is very pretty (even in the rain) and we did see a baby orca, eagles, sea lions and one or two other animals. I think that we were lucky to see the whale. They do not give you a lunch, just some salmon and crackers and maybe fruit.

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

I always bring several gallon freezer bags with me to store my cameras, lens and binoculars to keep them dry. Even though the binoculars are waterproof, I don't want to abuse it in the rain unless I have to. Before using the gallon bags, make sure you try to get more air in by expanding it and then zip it up. I will then try to gently squeeze it to ensure the seal is held up ok before I use it.

I am already signed up for the Eagle Island tour, via the ship's pre-paid tour package.

Perhaps one of the other tours would be better, but then again I have never been in a kayak, and would not know the difference. Any tour would be a great experience for me.

"A bad day kayaking, is better than a good day at work"!! :D

And a huge thanks for the great link to view the web site! Very informative, thanks!!

Cheers! :)

How hard is the orca cove trip. I really would like to go on this trip but not sure if we are all able to do the 2.5 hrs of paddeling. I just asked my 14 year old if he thought he could paddel for that long and he said he is not sure. Is the water smooth or is it rough.

Thanks

Nancy

When I did the Orcas Cove trip, the water was very smooth. I had another women in the kayak with me and we had no trouble with the trip. I even had a bad shoulder at the time and I still had no trouble keeping up with the guide. You and your son should not have a problem if you are in reasonable shape. If you want, give them I call. I did this and they were very helpful.

Judy

How hard is the orca cove trip. I really would like to go on this trip but not sure if we are all able to do the 2.5 hrs of paddeling. I just asked my 14 year old if he thought he could paddel for that long and he said he is not sure. Is the water smooth or is it rough.

Thanks

Nancy

Just arrange to have a cute girl in one of the other kayaks and see how fast he can paddle! I took my son, who's a little older, kayaking and he complained about how slow I was....

If you are paddling correctly, it is not hard work at all.

If I'm a single would I have to share a kayak with someone I don't know if they use double kayaks? How would this be if I wanted to paddle over to see one thing and they wanted to paddle over to see another?:confused:

We are cruising on the Radiance of the Seas, July 6, 2007 from Seward to Vancouver and have booked a kayak 'adventure' with South Sea Kayaks in Ketichikan. I am pleased to see the favorable comments on the Orcas Cove tour...this is the one we had chosen because of the calmer waters (with guides) and the assurance that we did not need kayak experience to survive the rigors of a three hour paddle (we are in our 60's). Apparently you stop quite often to take pictures and enjoy the scenery rather than the olympic event I was envisioning. I spoke with Kim Kirby at South Seas who was extremely helpful and assuring, and even suggested an 11 AM tour to avoid possible stress with rushing trying to get off the ship after the scheduled dock time of 9 AM to meet an earlier tour. I expect we will be back by 3 PM and will have plenty of time to explore Ketchikan before the ship sets sail at 7 PM.

We booked Orca Cove through Southeast Kayak last August. Due to itinerary changes at the last minute (Celebrity Infinity) we did not arrive into Ketchican until afternoon. Although Southeast Kayak did accommodate the change and rescheduled us, it is a longer tour than the Pennock Islands tour, which was 2.5 hrs. We decided to go with the shorter tour as we didn't want to get back to the ship at 7:30 pm at night.

For us, it worked our really well. There were only 6 in our group (3 kayaks); the kayaks are the best I have ever been in and were very easy to paddle and steer. Teh other two couples had never kayaked before and had no problems. Our guide was excellent.

The tour goes rain or shine - in our case it was pouring rain but that didn't put a "damper" on our experience. As luck would have it, the sun started to come out and produce what would be a beautiful evening sunset that we were able to capture on the waters crossing the channel. It was magnificant to see the clouds lifting over the mountains - what a beautiful sky at dusk.

We got back to the ship in time for our final formal night and lobster dinner!

Thanks everyone,

I am going to call southeast kayak hopefully monday and book this. You were right about the 14 year old girl, I asked my son if he could paddle 2.5hrs if there was a girl in front of him and of course he said yes.

nancy

SakeDad, if you go as a single ,they will pair you up with someone. If you are an experienced kayaker, you may be able to go in a single kayak. When I did this tour, I was paired with another woman who was by herself. The other person in our group went in a single kayak. I assume that if there was nobody to pair you up wih, you would go with the guide. Right now I am the only person on my tour. I may get a private tour! As far as you wanting to go see something, there really isn't anyplace to go and explore.

Judy

SakeDad, if you go as a single ,they will pair you up with someone. If you are an experienced kayaker, you may be able to go in a single kayak. When I did this tour, I was paired with another woman who was by herself. The other person in our group went in a single kayak. I assume that if there was nobody to pair you up wih, you would go with the guide. Right now I am the only person on my tour. I may get a private tour! As far as you wanting to go see something, there really isn't anyplace to go and explore.

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

We just reserved our spots for the Orcas Cove tour in July. We're joining our friends (Chase&Me) for a wet, wild adventure.

Kim at SE Sea Kayaks is quick to respond to E-mail messages and very helpful. If anyone kayaks with this outfit prior to July, please consider posting about your experience.

Happy Cruising!

SakeDad,

Kayaking is something I have a little experience about. If you are in a single man kayak and are not use to it, you may have difficulty paddling against tides in open water. You may appreciate being with another person. Also the kayak tour may require you to wear a kayak skirt. This is an apron that secures around your waist and then attaches to the kayack to keep the waves out. If this is the case you may be limited to use only the gear you can wear around your neck. One way or another you have to take extra precaution to keep your gear dry. Getting wet will almost be a given. It's a question of how wet? Let me know how it goes. If you enjoy it and come East let me know if you want to go again.

If I'm a single would I have to share a kayak with someone I don't know if they use double kayaks? How would this be if I wanted to paddle over to see one thing and they wanted to paddle over to see another?:confused:

They usually use double kayaks, and the group stays together. When I did the Tatoosh trip a few years ago, I went as a single and ended up with our guide as my paddling partner. Bonus!:D

Archived