Voyager v. Radiance class... and why?!

Hi all - a bunch of friends and I are contemplating a cruise for the first week of March 2008. We'd be traveling with a group of about 6-10 folks who range between 25-30"ish" years old.

I've heard so many different things about the Voyager and Radiance class ships. We're looking at caribbean itineraries at this point, so have the choice between both classes. Does anyone have a strong preference for one over the other, and if so, why? What are the pros? the cons? Any thoughts on a good ship and itinerary for our group (we definitely like a good number of ports, and will enjoy all the ship has to offer at night!)?

By the way - have I ever mentioned how much I just love these boards!!

(edited to mention that this will be the first cruise for several folks in our group. I thought about the Freedom class ships, but thought those might be "too" big - but I haven't completely ruled them out.)

to us, the big advantage of Radiance class is the huge amount of glass that always seems to lead your eyes outside to the sea and scenery. By way of contrast, Voyager (and Freedom) class ships are inward oriented - the promenade, which i find reminds me of any shopping mall with an ice skating rink, and i dont need to go on a cruise to experience one more mall. If you are considering balcony cabins, the Radiance class ships have glass/plastic below the railing so you look out to sea even when seated. Voyager and one of her sisters has solid metal there so you have to stand, whether in the cabin or out on the verandah, to see the ocean. One bad feature of Radiance class is that there are only 2 banks of elevators - one forward, one midships. If you are in the aft section you need to either use the stairs or walk to the midships; but with your age group, that should not be a problem. If it were me i would not book Freedom class for first time cruisers - to massive to absorb it all on a one week cruise, and from that point on, they have nowhere to go but up and wait for the Genesis class.:)

Both are great--I prefer Voyager class! I like the open Solarium better than the covered one on Radiance class!

Service is wonderful on either--the food is about the same (depending on the chef!) and amenities are the same, with the exception of the ice rink! (We don't skate, but did enjoy the show!)

Pick according to itinerary, if that matters, or by which ship gives you the best cabin!

DH and I have sailed on both and honestly can't decide which we prefer... We love them both! :)

Our favorite things are the Royal Promenade and the Ice Show on the Voyager Class and the Solarium on the Radiance Class.

Since you like a port intensive itinerary, both Radiance and Jewel have great 6 and 8 night itineraries... the 6 night has 4 ports, the 8 night has 5.

The itinerary options for a Voyager Class ship next March don't seem as good to me...

Navigator will be doing 4/5 night cruises from Ft Lauderdale. If you are looking for that length of cruise, that's a great option, but that's never long enough for me!

Explorer will be sailing out of New Jersey, which may be a great location for you, but she has a lot of sea days and the first and last couple would probably be very cool.

We love Mariner, but she'll be doing the Eastern itinerary that week which only has 3 port days.

If you don't mind sailing out of San Juan (it's a long, expensive flight for us), Adventurer has a great 7 night with 4 ports and Serenade has a 7 night with 5 ports. Both of those look fantastic.

Whatever you decide, have a great time! :D

We've done both Voyager (Western - 7 day) and Radiance (Eastern - 8 days), both were wonderful - I think that I liked the Voyager the best - liked the promenade and the ice show.

Loved the glass on Radiance & the seaview cafe - the 8 days had 5 ports, which "I" think was too much - I really like experiencing new places, but by the end of the cruise all the ports seemed to flow into each other and it's difficult to remember which port had what.

I think any cruise would be great! Jan

I have sailed 3 Voyager class ships and then the Radiance. I love the glass on the Radiance, the bars, quest in the bar and not the ice rink, the "class" and the dinning room.

That said, I prefer the Voyager class of ship. Balconies are not as "crowded" and congested and Radiance, Ship "flow" is better - you never feel as though there are as many people as there are and on the Radiance if you have an aft cabin-forget about it! I love the promenade for parades and the shops, the ice show and the full court sports deck. ALso sitting out by the pool on deck 12 ther are 2 rows of chairs instead of 1.

WHen we were in Nassau in Feb on the Explorer we wer enext to the Radiance and the Soverign. Have been on them all. Soverign small but good, Radiance 1/2 the size of Explorer nice but my heart is with Explorer.

to us, the big advantage of Radiance class is the huge amount of glass that always seems to lead your eyes outside to the sea and scenery. By way of contrast, Voyager (and Freedom) class ships are inward oriented - the promenade, which i find reminds me of any shopping mall with an ice skating rink, and i dont need to go on a cruise to experience one more mall. If you are considering balcony cabins, the Radiance class ships have glass/plastic below the railing so you look out to sea even when seated. Voyager and one of her sisters has solid metal there so you have to stand, whether in the cabin or out on the verandah, to see the ocean. One bad feature of Radiance class is that there are only 2 banks of elevators - one forward, one midships. If you are in the aft section you need to either use the stairs or walk to the midships; but with your age group, that should not be a problem. If it were me i would not book Freedom class for first time cruisers - to massive to absorb it all on a one week cruise, and from that point on, they have nowhere to go but up and wait for the Genesis class.:)

You have me worried :confused: . I booked the Explorer and from the pictures, you can see the ocean sitting on your balcony. Am I mistaking ? I would be a little disappointed if I had to stand to see the ocean.

no, you are not mistaken. that is why I said Voyager and one of her sister ships - and I was not sure which one. The RCCL designers corrected the deficiency in the Voyager class that came after the first two - guess they had a lot of b***ching from passengers who had previously said on Radiance class. Sorry for misleading you.:) :)

Thank you so much for all of these responses! This is great information...

I've read a few opinions that indicate that the "nightlife" isn't as exciting on the Radiance class ships as on the Voyagers...any thoughts on this, or are the two roughly the same?

no, you are not mistaken. that is why I said Voyager and one of her sister ships - and I was not sure which one. The RCCL designers corrected the deficiency in the Voyager class that came after the first two - guess they had a lot of b***ching from passengers who had previously said on Radiance class. Sorry for misleading you.:) :)

Thank you :D

Archived