Princess Austrailian Cruisetour

margord

I have also posted this under the Australia/New Zealand board.

Has anyone ever done the Princess cruisetour either pre or post cruise? We are thinking seriously about it. We did one with Princess through the Canadian Rockies and it was fabulous. I am seeing one that goes to the Great Barrier Reef and then back down the coast to Sydney. That one looks most interesting to me. Any information would be appreciated.

I have also posted this under the Australia/New Zealand board.

Has anyone ever done the Princess cruisetour either pre or post cruise? We are thinking seriously about it. We did one with Princess through the Canadian Rockies and it was fabulous. I am seeing one that goes to the Great Barrier Reef and then back down the coast to Sydney. That one looks most interesting to me. Any information would be appreciated.

Hi there Margord - we did a pre-cruise last year 2 nights Sydney 2 nights Cairns (doing the barrier reef) and then back to Sydney to join the ship. We had the most fabulous time ever - it was our first landtour with Princess and I really dont know what I was expecting - we are not usually in to being herded around by bus etc - I have to say the land rep was great, you never felt as though you were part of a group. The tour included a full day out on the outer barrier reef which was simply unbelievable - Go for it you will have the most fanastic time. Jackie

Hi there Margord - we did a pre-cruise last year 2 nights Sydney 2 nights Cairns (doing the barrier reef) and then back to Sydney to join the ship. We had the most fabulous time ever - it was our first landtour with Princess and I really dont know what I was expecting - we are not usually in to being herded around by bus etc - I have to say the land rep was great, you never felt as though you were part of a group. The tour included a full day out on the outer barrier reef which was simply unbelievable - Go for it you will have the most fanastic time. Jackie

Thank you Jackie, nice to hear it was so good. The Candian Rockies was fabulous so I was hoping to hear the same for Australia. Thanks for responding.

Marilee

We looked at a post-tour when we sailed Australia/New Zealand; also interested in the GBR but ended up doing it on our own as it gave us more freedom. We all loved the GBR - we chose to go out to Hamilton Island for 5 days and it was pure bliss. We took a boat out even further/deeper to the GBR for some diving one day and the other days we simply enjoyed ourselves and the resort facilities there. After a 4-day start in Auckland then the two-week cruise and another 4 days running around Sydney it was perfect to be able to relax and unwind a little before heading home and ending our vacation. Whether you do it on your own or through Princess it is totally worth going up to see the reef.

We looked at a post-tour when we sailed Australia/New Zealand; also interested in the GBR but ended up doing it on our own as it gave us more freedom. We all loved the GBR - we chose to go out to Hamilton Island for 5 days and it was pure bliss. We took a boat out even further/deeper to the GBR for some diving one day and the other days we simply enjoyed ourselves and the resort facilities there. After a 4-day start in Auckland then the two-week cruise and another 4 days running around Sydney it was perfect to be able to relax and unwind a little before heading home and ending our vacation. Whether you do it on your own or through Princess it is totally worth going up to see the reef.

Thanks so much for the info.

I haven't done the cruisetour but HIGHLY recommend time in Sydney. I spent a week here before my cruise and could have easily spent another. Lots and lots to do, and very easy to get around. Many different places to visit on the ferries also. I spent one day over at Manly, another at the zoo and took a day trip out to the Blue Mountian area. Fantastic trip.

On the other end I also spent a week in Auckland, I was there for the last Americas Cup. That was also a blast to watch the racing in person.

Sure would love to visit either Australia or New Zealand again!

Doug

We also spent a week in Sydney pre-cruise, and I second the comment that it was wonderful. We opted for a full week there instead of dividing our time between the GBR, perhaps Ayers Rock, and Sydney, and a week there still wasn't enough. The SydneyPass made seeing the entire city easy and fun...we took ferries and buses and trains everywhere (stayed in The Rocks area, very convenient).

Australia is so travel-friendly that, if you are at all comfortable arranging your own travel, you can very easily see whatever you want to see on your own, spending as much time as you'd like in each city. We felt completely comfortable there, with signage, currency, mass transit, and, of course, the incredibly friendly and hospitable Aussies. There is no doubt that you can tour on your own there much less expensively than through Princess.

If you fly all the way to Australia, you have just got to visit the GBR. What a lovely place to see. If you snorkel, or dive, you will be spoiled forever afterwards. Even if you don't do water sports, just a sail through the GBR is still wonderful. And Cairns itself is fantastic.

We haven't done the cruise tour, but did cruise up the west coast of AU twice with overnites in Cairns each time. I could have spent a week in Cairns.

Definitely try to do other things in AU besides just Sydney. A long way to go for just one city and it's surrounding areas. Australia is so different as you go up the coast, and very beautiful and interesting.

Hope you find the perfect tour.

I haven't done the cruisetour but HIGHLY recommend time in Sydney. I spent a week here before my cruise and could have easily spent another. Lots and lots to do, and very easy to get around. Many different places to visit on the ferries also. I spent one day over at Manly, another at the zoo and took a day trip out to the Blue Mountian area. Fantastic trip.

On the other end I also spent a week in Auckland, I was there for the last Americas Cup. That was also a blast to watch the racing in person.

Sure would love to visit either Australia or New Zealand again!

Doug

Thanks Doug in addition to the cruise and cruisetour I hope to spend at least a couple days in both Sydney and Auckland. It is too far to go to miss all the good stuff.

Marilee

PescadoAmarillo where did you stay in the Rocks?

The Holiday Inn Old Sydney...one block back from the Overseas Passenger Terminal. We simply rolled our luggage down the hill to check in. The biggest kick was getting up early the morning the Diamond came in and watching it emerge from the fog and sail past the Opera House. Too cool.

Very close to The Russell...we walked by it several times.

Archived