What are our chances of an upgrade?

In January we are going to be sailing on the AOS. Currently we have a Promenade Stateroom that is listed as a GTY. In the past we have always picked our cabin and always knew where we were going to be, this time I decided to risk it and get a GTY, was this a bad idea?

Whether or not you get an upgraade is iffy, depends on how full the ship is and if they choose you to be the lucky one!! Is a GTY a good idea? I think the only drawback is that they may put you in a cabin in a location you don't like ie. too far forward or aft where there is more rocking and could be a concern if you are prone to seasickness or with a Promanade cabin over a pub or club where noise could be a factor. Or you may be assigned to the "perfect" cabin. I hope you get the latter and have a great cruise!!!

My brother and his wife did a guaranty once for a balcony cabin on Celebrity Summit. They got a connecting cabin. They could hear everything through the door (and apparently everything means everything). Also, smoke drifted over constantly. They said they would never risk a guaranty again no matter how much cheaper it is.

Your chances of getting upgraded are greatly reduced is your ship is full. Our upcoming October cruise has been pretty much sold out for the past 3 weeks, so I'm sure the ability to upgrade on our particular sailing will be nil. Good luck!

An upgrade means different things to different folks. I have an atrium view cabin on Deck 7 booked for December. This is a Cat. PR I believe. Cat. I is considered higher because it is an oceanview but it is on Deck 2 with many of these cabins under the diningroom or over the anchors, not an upgrade for me. If you want a specific location book a specific cabin. On the positive side you could end up in a suite but my experience with RCL does not run in that direction. A Guarantee is usually the last cabin picked unless you luck out and someone cancels at the last moment and then anything is possible.

Is a cabin with a connecting door really so bad? We have 7666 on the Brillance in Feb. 2005. The cabin appears to have a bigger balcony. When we chose this cabin in May there were only a few balconies left. Should we try to watch for another cabin if any become available. Now I'm worried because this is a 10 day cruise and we would like to spend more time in the room. Why is storage cut down? It's just a door. If we don't plan on opening it, we can still put things there, right?? Any infor on these cabins on deck seven with the larger balcony or on connecting doors will be appreciated. Thanks

Archived