Orient Beach Questions

bankerbabe

What's interesting is that the vendors at Orient are really nice people. More importantly about 80% of their merchandise is hand made and very well made at that. Of course they all negotiate and it's fun to walk away with some great treasures that would cost considerably more at home.

Look for shell pendants and necklaces. There's even one fellow who sells his own recording on CD. Go ...here... to listen to Dread. He's got an interesting reggae style and has performed on stage in London.

Now the hair braiders are another story. ;)

What else do the vendors sell ? I am a shopper too and love local crafts. Hope I run into Dread, I liked what I heard on his CD. Also, where is the best place to go on the beach if you have kids ? Need activities to keep an 8 and 16 year old busy, but be close to adult libations!

:D

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Bankerbabe, thanks for your review, I enjoyed it. We are going to Orient Beach soon and we want to go to the c/o part of the beach. You had said the area at Pirates was close to the c/o. Is is really close or quite a walk? Were the loungers close to pirates padded?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Bankerbabe, thanks for your review, I enjoyed it. We are going to Orient Beach soon and we want to go to the c/o part of the beach. You had said the area at Pirates was close to the c/o. Is is really close or quite a walk? Were the loungers close to pirates padded?

Thanks,

Cheryl

The c/o portion is located at the southern end of the beach. To understand the layout of the beach, here is Ed's panorama photo of the entire beach, which he shot while parasailing.

http://home.carolina.rr.com/photos2005/LargeOrientPanorama.htm

The photo runs left to right, south to north. There are no vendors allowed in the Club O portion. There is no charge to use any beach, you just pay to rent the loungers and umbrellas. Sitting on a towel is free.

What else do the vendors sell ? I am a shopper too and love local crafts. Hope I run into Dread, I liked what I heard on his CD. Also, where is the best place to go on the beach if you have kids ? Need activities to keep an 8 and 16 year old busy, but be close to adult libations!

:D

Thanks!

It really doesn't matter where you are on the beach, all the kid-activities are just a short walk away. For us, we pick the beach bar with incredible owners, good lounges, a wide variety of reasonably priced drinks and excellent food at a fair price. The owner always saves front row chairs and they're available whenever we arrive.

After many years at Orient, including 3 weeks in April/May, we know the vendors and shop/bar owners very well. The jewelry is probably the best deal on the island. Much of it is hand made and very attractive. Clothing in various beach bars and shops is also very good. My wife is a "professional shopper" and can really find great bargain values. Here is one of our favorite vendors:

Heiki.jpg

Booper.... WOW, what a pic! Thanks:) That must have been quite a thrill seeing all of that from above. We're planning to go to Baie Rouge first for a bit and then head over to Club O and check it out. We want to spend a week on the island next summer (this summer is booked up) and are renting a car there again to check out different places to stay.

Kal... where did you stay while on the island?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Kal... where did you stay while on the island?

We stay on the Dutch side at Simpson Bay for two weeks (timeshare) then one week in a villa on the French side at Orient Village. Sometimes a condo at Simpson Bay Yacht Club.

Booper.... WOW, what a pic! Thanks:) That must have been quite a thrill seeing all of that from above.......

Thanks,

Cheryl

That photo was taken by Ed who hangs out at a different travel website that has heavy coverage of St. Martin. That is his website I directed you to.

He took the photos a couple of years ago so I don't know how things have changed since, but the whole panorama took a lot of work (and he was up in the parasail !)

We stay on the Dutch side at Simpson Bay for two weeks (timeshare) then one week in a villa on the French side at Orient Village. Sometimes a condo at Simpson Bay Yacht Club.

We stayed at the Pelican in 2001, which was ok but not top flight management; I understand that Royal Resorts of Mexico now runs the place and has upgraded it significantly. We stayed at a Royal last year in Cancun and were impresssed by their operation.

Where did you stay?

I own 2 back-to-back weeks at Pelican in the same unit. There have been substantial changes since 2001 when Royal Resorts became the resort manager. By the end of 2007 75% of the units will be renovated at a cost of about $20K per unit. The renovation process guts the entire unit and replaces everything. New flooring, bathrooms, appliances, A/C, flat-screen TV etc. A large infusion of cash due to the new Marina Building.

But hey, the only time we spend there is to sleep, get ready for the beach, and get ready to drink/eat/party/drink. Jump into one of the 7 pools and it's a good eye-opener.

Thanks,

Cheryl

It was very close to Club O, an easy trot. And the loungers at Pirates were nicely padded.

Everything at that end of the beach is close together. I would suggest you have the cab leave you off at Pedros which splits Club O from the rest of the beach. Spend a few minutes walking up and down looking the beach bars over then pick the one you like. If you go the photorama I have posted and drill down, many of the places have their menus on-line.

Or print it out landscape and use as a map.

How was the Noordam, we might book her next year.

Did you see any parasailing while at Orient Beach? Do you remember what area of the beach it was at? Any info you can give me will be appreciated.:)

We parasailed at Orient Beach this past April. We parked ourselves at Pirates and the parasailing was right next door near Pedros. He charged us $40 each for a tandem. Jet skis right there too. Banana boats just a little walk down the beach. It was a fun day!

Yes, she is a vendor at Orient Beach. She's German and usually goes back to France or sometimes the US during the summer low season. Here jewelry is absolutely beautiful. Matter of fact so is she.

Heiki2.jpg

Yes, she is a vendor at Orient Beach. She's German and usually goes back to France or sometimes the US during the summer low season. Here jewelry is absolutely beautiful. Matter of fact so is she.

Heiki2.jpg

Where does she usually set up shop on the beach? Will she be there next week? Or does she vacate in July/Aug?

She normally just walks the beach from beach bar to beach bar. She's going to the US for a trip so she won't be at Orient probably for the summer and early fall.

September 12 is LOW SEASON on the island. I doubt very seriously she will be on island. St. Maarten is pretty much vacated during September due to hurricane season. Many restaurants and shops are closed and a large number of locals leave for vacation.

WOW, that concerns me. So, all the great shopping like Rimas and the jewelry stores, perfume, etc might be closed? What about activities at Orient Beach , like water sports or bars?:(

Thanks for any information!

I'm sure Orient Beach water sports will be available. Rima's will most likely be open too. And of course there will always be jewelry stores available.

WOW, that concerns me. So, all the great shopping like Rimas and the jewelry stores, perfume, etc might be closed? What about activities at Orient Beach , like water sports or bars?:(

Thanks for any information!

September/October is our normal visit for three or four weeks, and Rima's has always been open.

Front Street shopping (also Marigot) has always been open.

There has always been watersports offerings on Orient. Jet Ski, Parasailing, etc.

I don't remember any specific Orient bar/restaurant being closed, but we really don't frequent many of them or remember them closing for the season. Pedro's has certainly always been open if a ship is in. Same for Ms. B's on Dawn Beach.

Certainly the upscale restaurants of Grand Case, and across the island, usually take a vacation during that timeframe, but for casual dining I suspect that you will find plenty of options.

I guess we've been pretty lucky with the hurricanes, with only a handful of close (some very close) experiences over the years, but we enjoy the slower pace of the island during hurricane season.

gary

We've been to Orient Beach and experienced first hand those that enjoy frolicking in their birthday suits. Sad to say many of those suits are in dire need of alterations and pressing. :D

Archived