which cruise line??

kdvolfan

I have cruised twice before (both on Carnival), but never to Alaska. I'd like some help in deciding which cruise line to use. We don't require anything fancy, just some good food and entertainment. I'd like to get a good cruise for the money. We are looking at taking an Alaskan cruise in the summer of 2005. While we are at it, is there any advantage to taking the Northbound vs. Southbound? Are they just the same thing reversed? Thanks a lot!!

The only real difference between northbound and southbound derives from the idea that the reason to do a "one-way" is to tack on a "land tour"...Taking a Southbound means doing the land tour first...doing the northbound means doing the cruise portion first...

Some of us prefer to get the more arduous (ina and out of hotels, onto trains and buses) land portion out of the way first...

As to which cruise line to take, there is no correct answer...Everyone has their preferences...and people have different criteria and give them different weight...

You can get a great cruise from any of the lines...

Princess, Celebrity, Hal, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and others all do it...and their are a few subtle differences in the itineraries, ie. Princess gives you one less port stop, but has a day sailing into Glacier Bay--which Princess afficianados think is really important...Celebrity (and RCCL) gives you one extra port stop--in the new port, Icy Strait Point...

Princess and HAL are bopth known for owning their own Alaska interior infrastructure (of course, that can be a plus or a minus depending on your view of things...Celebrity put us up in some great hotels--that they don't own)...

Some folks just go with a cruise line they like or know or are comfortable with...Some pick a particular ship...

Any way you choose it, you really can't go wrong...

We chose Celebrity because we really prefer Celebrity--for the service and elegance and quality of the food and the ships...and we were very happy with our choice...

THere is often a price difference in the NB or SB. THis year I have found the SB cheaper. The port times are also different on each run so you should check this. I am a fan of Princess... so I would recommend them. THey are a significant step up from Carnival, but not stuffy or too fancy. I have trips 4 and 5 to AK planned in Sept and would not miss out on Glacier Bay. IMO, the best of the glacier stops. If you add in College Fjord, the Princess itineraries give you the most glaciers.

I have sailed Royal Caribbean and Princess to Alaska and my cruises on Princess were so much better in Alaska.

I love Glacier Bay and College Fiords and will not book another Alaskan cruise with out both of these places.

I have done NorthBound (1x), SouthBound (2x) and RT (1x). I see pros and cons to both. I prefer the times in port on the NouthBound cruises and the times at the glaciers better (in the afternoon verses morning). Also, the secenary gets more beautiful the farther north you go. Though - it is so much easier to fly to Anchorage first and cruise down then end in Anchorage and fly back. I have yet to do a land vacation so I can't advise anything there. If I was to do the land - I would probably do that first.

Good luck in planning :)

If you are doing a land tour first (or on your own touring) IMHO only it's better to do that first and then enjoy some relaxation on the cruise. If you decide to do the cruise only (For whatever reason) the roundtrip cruises from Seattle and Vancouver would probably be your best bet if you are looking for "value"... eliminates extra airfare to Anchorage. If at all possible and esp. if you aren't sure you will go back to Alaska (although I'll bet you will want to!), would definitely recommend that you allot 5-6 days for a tour.. depending on your level of planning interest etc. either by ship tour or on your own.

As the jest here- you need to look at many factors- I have cruised Alaska on 4 different lines- the ship is always less important to me compared to - ports, time in ports, glacier, route, price. For clairfication- I am NEVER rushed nor need to "relax" after my land touring- the reason- I plan it correctly. :) Way too many of the cruisetours are poorly planned with way too much time in transit. So my recommendation is to allow 7 days for an add on. Better may be to go independent and see and do the things YOU want to experience. The bonus of a southbound sailing is the Excellent scenic sailing Vancouver Island - missed out upon with most Seattle sailings however. Alaska is a BIG compromise- make the right choices for you. :)

I am partial to the Radiance class ships by Royal Caribbean. I just love the layout of the ships, they aren't as big as the Voyager class but large enough to have all the ammenities. I also love how you can go and sit on the bow, it was fun to watch everyone do the Titanic routine. :)

Misty

I went on my first cruise to Alaska on Celebrity in 8/99. I went with a group and didn't know much about cruising. But I feel that I got really lucky because everything was absolutely wonderful! My husband and I are going on a 12 day cruise through Alaska next month on Celebrity (my second cruise and his first) and we can't wait. We decided on a 12 day cruise that starts and ends in San Francisco because it was only $600 more than the 7 day cruise that starts and ends in Vancouver because of airfare to and from Vancouver. We live in Los Angeles so we will drive to Marin County (across the bridge from SF) and stay with my mom who will drive us to Pier 35 and pick us up. We will be spending more on pet boarding fees and tipping for the extra 5 days but it was still a better bargain for us. We are going more for the cruise and not for the ports or shore excursions. A great atmosphere, food and service were bigger deciding factors. On Celebrity they have formal, informal (semi-formal) and casual nights. If you like to dress up then it's great but if you don't then a cruise line with optional dress up nights, I think they are called freestyle, is a better option. Good luck with your trip planning!

Lydia

Archived