Cunard's White Star Luggage Service?

Suitecruiser31

Has anyone used the luggage service offered by Cunard? They pick up the bags at your home and they will be delivered directly to the ship. I am interested in using this service and was just wondering if anyone has used them and if the experience was good or bad. I know it costs quite a bit, but is the service worth it?

Thanks,

Brian

I called about this service, but the price was prohibitive for me..It's a great concept tho, an easy way to travel.

I was on a HAL cruise last week and they use FEDEX for $35. per bag I believe, and the truck was sitting outside the terminal when we left.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004

HAL Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

I had also inquired about the White Star service and was quoted a price of $200 to $300 per bag (depending on weight).

Since we are a family of four from NY - an will be sailing from Southampton and plan on arrriving several days before we cruise I thought it would be a good idea to send some of our formal wear ahead - but at those prices - I really have reconsider!!

After several conversations with Cunard trying to come up with another alternative - possibly sending luggage directly to the ship while she is in NY the week before our sailing - there seems to be no other way to do it except for White Star.

If anyone has any ideas on how to send luggage ahead without spending a couple of hundred dollars I would certainly appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

Liz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If anyone has any ideas on how to send luggage ahead without spending a couple of hundred dollars I would certainly appreciate any suggestions!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I have no experience, but a Google search using "luggage delivery service" (in quotes) turned up a few possibilities, such as Luggagefree.

If you decide to go with a service, let us know how it works out.

Crouton

My daughter and I have used Cunard's service twice, so far, and have arranged to use it again on the QE2 on April 25.

I agree it is "expensive" but what a relief it is to not have to struggle with heavy luggage.

We used it in January to and from Ft. Lauderdale for the QE2 and in March, again to and from Ft. Lauderdale for the QM2.

It cost us $400.00 for the round trips--that covers our two heavy bags but would include as many bags as you're taking as long as the total weight is 100 pounds or less. I think we may have had over the 100 pounds but we haave not been charged for overweight.

Thanks everybody for your remarks. I think I will give the Luggage Service a try. I really like the idea of not having to carry my luggage through the airport and to the hotel and again to the ship.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again!!!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I just visited some sites have cruise critic information. but those informations were not sufficient. Here i m glad to have good conversation.

as

this answers was given quite comprehensively

Thanks everybody for your remarks. I think I will give the Luggage Service a try. I really like the idea of not having to carry my luggage through the airport and to the hotel and again to the ship.
I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Thanks again!!!

I think we should encourage this.. Keep it up

I've used the service twice and while it is expensive, it is totally worth it, IMO since I am usually traveling with my mom and we like to pack :)

The nicest thing is that you close your suitcase at home and the next time you see it it is in your stateroom. I've read before about people using other services but there is no other service (that I know of) that will get the luggage onto the ship, the others involve going and claiming it at a 'customs house' and on the day of a departing cruise, I just don't want to have to add that to my 'thing to do' list.

We'll be using White Star again for our trip in November. It's expensive but worth it to me.

Not having to deal with luggage is good, using White Star going from home may work, but at dis embarkation I personally am put off with the fact tht you have to =- Claim your luggage from the sea of luggage in the terminal, attach weigh bills, transport it OUTSIDE to the van and check it in.

Other lines have a much better system if you are flying within the USA with "regular " air lines

You get go to the Pursers desk, pay $15 per bag. receive special tags in your cabin the night before, attach them, put you bags outside the cabin and pouf, you do not have to deal with them again until you are at your gateway airport baggage claim . I have used this several times and it is great but Cunard still will not do this , it is called Luggage Valet.

Not having to claim them in that chaos at the terminal is wonderful

My mother and I use White Star luggage all the time. Excellent service and if anything is missed or damaged good follow-up. As regards putting the weigh bills on in the custom shed. Put those on when you put the luggage out for pick-up

For those interested there is a new Luggage Free service available from an independent broker and they say that your luggage now goes directly on the ship and they are much cheaper. Have not used it yet anyone else heard about it ? I am in the Southern California area.

We used them in Jan. and were very happy with the service. We only sent one bag, one very large bag, it was waiting in our stateroom when we got there. On the return it actually was at our house the next day. I would recommend it but it is a little costly.

We used it to ship our bags from US to UK and it was wonderful not to have to have the hassle of dealing with them while we were in Scotland prior to our cruise. Marvelous to travel with carry-on. Highly recommend this service.

LK

I live in the UK and have used this service on a number of occasions, both for embarking and dis-embarking at Southampton - the service provided is excellent.

For air travel within the UK, most of the airlines are strict in relation to and charge heavily for excess baggage - 20kgs is not a lot for a two week cruise. With so many `low cost` airlines, I have found that sending a suitcase with White Star, it usually works out cheaper than excess baggage fees.

I just registered for White Star today.... one bag to go back home from Southampton after the first crossing on the QE2, then another bag to arrive 4 days later when we embark for the crossing back home on the QM2. We are spending the four days between crossings in Paris and I was NOT going to lug 12 days worth of TA clothes to Paris and back. Yes it is expensive, about $500 total including insurance, but for me it is worth it. I probably could have stored the bags at the SOU airport but I was afraid there would be no room for that much luggage.

• 1 year later...

Back in 1840 when Samuel Cunard set out to deliver the mail across the Atlantic. Little did he realise that he was taking the first step towards a new standard in luxury travel. Since then, Cunard has become a byword for comfort, style, and the ultimate travel experience as defined by successive eras. Today Cunard Line continues to celebrate their golden heritage while exceeding expectations with the legendary Cunard Experience. Thus its famous hospitality is celebrated every day.

Cunard's White Star Service derives its name from White Star Line which Cunard took over in the 1930s. White Star Line was the great rival to Cunard Line on the transatlantic route for many years but was hit hard by the Titanic disaster. In 1934 due to financial difficulties Cunard Line took over White Star Line to become Cunard White Star. In 1949 it completed the full take over of White Star Line and ceased to be called Cunard White Star and instead reverted to Cunard Line. From the time of the 1934 merger, the house flags of both lines had been flown on all its ships, with each ship flying the flag of its original owner above the other; after 1950, only Georgic and Britannic, the last surviving White Star liners, continued to fly the White Star burgee on a regular basis, and even they flew the Cunard house flag above White Star's burgee. All other ships flew the Cunard flag over the White Star flag until 1968. Today Cunard's White Star Service is a lasting reminder of this shipping line's historical connection to White Star Line.

Impeccable service defines and differenciates the Cunard experience most eloquently. From award winning Grill dining to a tasty gourmet snack or that mint chocolate on the pillow, every little detail sets us apart. Nothing is too much trouble. The White Star Service welcomes you from the moment you step aboard and makes you feel welcome and special.

Back in 1840 when Samuel Cunard set out to deliver the mail across the Atlantic. Little did he realise that he was taking the first step towards a new standard in luxury travel. Since then, Cunard has become a byword for comfort, style, and the ultimate travel experience as defined by successive eras. Today Cunard Line continues to celebrate their golden heritage while exceeding expectations with the legendary Cunard Experience. Thus its famous hospitality is celebrated every day.

Cunard's White Star Service derives its name from White Star Line which Cunard took over in the 1930s. White Star Line was the great rival to Cunard Line on the transatlantic route for many years but was hit hard by the Titanic disaster. In 1934 due to financial difficulties Cunard Line took over White Star Line to become Cunard White Star. In 1949 it completed the full take over of White Star Line and ceased to be called Cunard White Star and instead reverted to Cunard Line. From the time of the 1934 merger, the house flags of both lines had been flown on all its ships, with each ship flying the flag of its original owner above the other; after 1950, only Georgic and Britannic, the last surviving White Star liners, continued to fly the White Star burgee on a regular basis, and even they flew the Cunard house flag above White Star's burgee. All other ships flew the Cunard flag over the White Star flag until 1968. Today Cunard's White Star Service is a lasting reminder of this shipping line's historical connection to White Star Line.

Impeccable service defines and differenciates the Cunard experience most eloquently. From award winning Grill dining to a tasty gourmet snack or that mint chocolate on the pillow, every little detail sets us apart. Nothing is too much trouble. The White Star Service welcomes you from the moment you step aboard and makes you feel welcome and special.

Is this spam or advertising or a combination of the two?

J

SATURDAY MAY 16TH

La Margherita Restaurant Bar

1 Town Quay

Southampton

SO14 2AQ

12 NOON UNTILL 5.30PM OR LATER

CAR PARKING NEARBY

HOTELS NEARBY

MEETING IS IN THE CONSERVATORY ON ON THE TERRACE WITH SEA VIEWS

WE CAN ONLY TAKE 50 PEOPLE SO PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME TO THE LIST ASAP

YOU CAN ORDER, MEALS, PIZZAS, OR JUST A DRINK

SO PLEASE JOIN US

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks everybody for your remarks. I think I will give the Luggage Service a try. I really like the idea of not having to carry my luggage through the airport and to the hotel and again to the ship. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks again!!!

Actually, it is the last indication we are really on our way! And I always enjoy hearing that "White Star has been here" (actually, it was DHL).

Pricey? Sort of. But not having to worry about bringing luggage or taking it has always been a pleasure. And, if you are on a long trip, your luggage might not fit in the taxi, sedan, limo or whatever you take to the ship. We travel with four of us, so this is especially the case.

You leave your White Star bags just outside customs. The bags arrive at our home in Virginia one or two days after arrival in New York. They have always been on-time and in excellent shape.

Again, yes, it is a bit pricey. But it is a WONDERFUL service and I would think you will be very glad to have spent the money.

I still wish that Cunard used a luggage system that allows you to put all relevant info on your luggage, put it outside you stateroom and then receive it at your home.

For myself, using Cunard luggage system is more trouble than dealing with my luggage myself.

From home, I would have to wheel the luggage from my condo, down a long hallway, to main door before handing it over to "whoever"

Return, put case outside stateroom, collect from the nightmare of the mass of luggage at terminal, follow a porter through customs,find truck, hand over luggage, then when it arrives at home address I would have to get it back down hallwy into my condo for unpacking.

Frankly I cannot see paying $200-$400 for this hassle.

I take my luggage to main entrance, have the driver of my "limo" load it on the car, at airport , roadside check it through to New York airport, there I use Cunard transport to ship, pay the porters to take my luggage off the transport,wait for it to arrive in stateroom

On return, I place it outside as normal, collect it in terminal, pay porter to take it through customs to bus, at JFK, pay porter to assist me at check in, at Fort myers, I collect at carousel, have driver handle it to car, at home, wheel it down to my condo.

I never trundle my case(cases ) through an airport.

This thread is very helpful. I was thinking of using this service for a Transatlantic next year; I plan a pre-cruise trip to Paris and wanted to have the bulk of my luggage sent directly to the QM2 in Southampton. From some of the comments I take it that one can arrange for a one-way delivery (I'm not concerned about hauling the luggage home from New York).

I will be using a travel agent; does anyone know whether I can deal directly with Cunard on the luggage or whether I would have to go through my travel agent because she would be making the cruise reservations? I think I'd rather just handle it myself (for that matter, maybe this is something a travel agent doesn't handle and I'll have to handle it myself anyway).

• 4 years later...

We need to ship a case of formal clothes from Sydney to Cape Town and were told White Star Service did not apply here! How ridiculous when we have to journey round Africa with an extra suitcase of formal clothes for the cruise.

Anyone got a suggestion for a resolution please?

Archived