Misc. Amsterdam questions

Going to Delft. Have seen websites for at least 2 delft factories: Proceleyne Fles and De Delftse Pauw.

Would love feedback if you've visited either re: quality, price, etc. Also, I recall someone mentioning a factory with a "Seconds" area?

Sorry if this was asked before, but my older browser can't seem to get the Search Function to work.

Thanks,

Martha

Going to Delft. Have seen websites for at least 2 delft factories: Proceleyne Fles and De Delftse Pauw.

Would love feedback if you've visited either re: quality, price, etc. Also, I recall someone mentioning a factory with a "Seconds" area?

I have only been to the Porceleyne Fles which is the Koninklijke Deft's Blue supplier. That means, just like in England, that this is the only supplier of china to the Royal Dutch family. It often also means the best (however, not always).

The 'factory tour' when we were there, was limited to demonstations of throwing a pot on a wheel and the tedious painting by several artists. The items on display were fantastic and the little courtyard was charming.

I cannot compare the two factories for you, but a visit to the Royal Porceleyne Fles is good. To be honest with you, however, a walk around the old town was the highlight of visiting Delft.

PS I like to go with you to the Galapagos.

We were just in Delft a month ago and I liked the little "mom and pop" porcalein(sp?) shops the best. AS you face the front of the Nieue Kirche from the plaza there is a small street down the left side of the church. Along there are several small shops and and one of the smaller "factories." I forget whech one. That got to be a pretty up close and personal discussion with one of the artists. They will also make "personalized" pieces for you (like a Christmas ornament with a grandchild's name). Most of these mom and Pop places did not seem to throw their own pots just paint and glaze. Not quite "seconds" and maybe not for you but we enjoyed a lot.

Greg

Sorry if this was asked before, but my older browser can't seem to get the Search Function to work.

Thanks,

Martha

Although both are wellknown, I think Porceleyne Fles is the best. Any pottery from that factory keeps its value.

Check their website: http://www.royaldelft.com/index.cfm?

And yes they often have seconds. Kind of hidden in a corner of the shop, so look around or ask for it.

There may be many "hand-painted Delft Blue" shops around, none of them will keep their value as those of Porceleyne Fles do.

(Also some "Delft" in other stores will be cheaper but might be made in China).

Are there any rental car agencies near the cruise ship terminal, and where would the closest location be? Thanks.

No there are none near the port. I think Avis has a place near Leidseplein, more or less south of city-center.

Check some website of agencies and let me know if you need more info about location.

Realise driving in NL isnot always a pleasure. Very busy roads, parking can be very expensive and apart from that also the gasprices....

Although both are wellknown, I think Porceleyne Fles is the best. Any pottery from that factory keeps its value.

And yes they often have seconds. Kind of hidden in a corner of the shop, so look around or ask for it.

There may be many "hand-painted Delft Blue" shops around, none of them will keep their value as those of Porceleyne Fles do.

Thanks for your valued opinion, Ine.

It looked to me to be the better factory for a couple of reasons. That's where I'll go. It will be the major purchase of my trip.

Martha

• 4 weeks later...

I have a couple of questions regarding movie theaters in Amsterdam. First, where is the best movie theater to see first run, blockbusters like the new Batman movie that will be released while I am there? We are staying near the museums, but are willing to travel a bit. Secondly, are the movies in English with Dutch subtitles, or in Dutch only or English only? Thanks.

I have a couple of questions regarding movie theaters in Amsterdam. First, where is the best movie theater to see first run, blockbusters like the new Batman movie that will be released while I am there? We are staying near the museums, but are willing to travel a bit. Secondly, are the movies in English with Dutch subtitles, or in Dutch only or English only? Thanks.

All movies are in the original language with dutch subtitles. So Batman would be in english.

The most famous cinema (Tuschinski) is on Reguliersdwarsstraat (near Rembrandtsplein), a nice old classic renovated (kind of Art-deco) building.

On Leidseplein (not too far from the museumarea)and and other places you will find a cinema where various movies will be shown.

You can check locations through Google by putting in " bioscoop Amsterdam".

This link gives the weekly movies shown: http://www.hyperleap.nl/bioscoop/BAN/index.php?action=stadsagenda&stadID=10

• 2 weeks later...

We need your help again ... we are trying to meet up with some fellow cruisecritic members on a Sunday night around 6:30 after we visit the Anne Frank house. They are at the Hotel Hegra and we are at the Hotel Brouwer. Is there anywhere that we could meet them for a glass of wine (not a "coffeehouse"....my 82 year old Mom won't like that) where we would be able to talk...or that has tables outside if it is not too hot on July 27 that is in the area?? Thanks! Galen

We need your help again ... we are trying to meet up with some fellow cruisecritic members on a Sunday night around 6:30 after we visit the Anne Frank house. They are at the Hotel Hegra and we are at the Hotel Brouwer. Is there anywhere that we could meet them for a glass of wine (not a "coffeehouse"....my 82 year old Mom won't like that) where we would be able to talk...or that has tables outside if it is not too hot on July 27 that is in the area?? Thanks! Galen

Right on Dam there is a nice outside terrace, next to the Nieuwe Kerk. I am not sure till what time they are open. Next to Hotel Krasnapolsky (behind the National Monument on Dam) and around the corner in Damstraat there are also some outside terraces.

If the weather it either too hot or too cold, your other option in Hotel De Roode Leeuw (Red Lion) on Damrak, opposite the big sotre Bijenkorf.

They have a glass covered terrace. One of my favorite snacks (great with wine and beer) is "Bitterballen", small fried balls filled with a stew. They have some of the best.

Or let them come to Ann Frank house, in the area around there you will also find some small bars with terraces.

PS When in doubt what kind of bar or coffeeshop it is, when you see the green leave on the window, it is not the type for your mom.

As always, Ine.....You're the best and I thank you.

I gave your rec. of Porceleyne Fles to Wynand at Private Holland Travel by email & that's where we went. Wonderful. The lady demonstrating was a 30 yr veteran. I purchased one of the dishes she was working on.........and she sent a nice note along with it when shipped. Found the 2nds table(struck out there) and a 30% off table (found a large casserole) and also got a hand painted, multi-color picture tile(what else? ship, sheep, trees, fences & barns) (odd sized tile, maybe 6X9 in, framed)just lovely. They also shipped a history book w. artists' ids re: signatures/bios/dates employed to me along with my order. Thanks, Ine. They are all special pieces.

He also took the 3 of us on a long, lovely walk of Delft........very picturesque.

Like 12B@c said.....it was the highlight.

Thanks, agin Ine!

Martha

As always, Ine.....You're the best and I thank you.

I gave your rec. of Porceleyne Fles to Wynand at Private Holland Travel by email & that's where we went. Wonderful. The lady demonstrating was a 30 yr veteran. I purchased one of the dishes she was working on.........and she sent a nice note along with it when shipped. Found the 2nds table(struck out there) and a 30% off table (found a large casserole) and also got a hand painted, multi-color picture tile(what else? ship, sheep, trees, fences & barns) (odd sized tile, maybe 6X9 in, framed)just lovely. They also shipped a history book w. artists' ids re: signatures/bios/dates employed to me along with my order. Thanks, Ine. They are all special pieces.

He also took the 3 of us on a long, lovely walk of Delft........very picturesque.

Like 12B@c said.....it was the highlight.

Thanks, agin Ine!

Martha

Glad I could help you Martha. I always like Porceleyne Fles, it is a special place to see the best of Delft Blue.

Sizes of tiles may be different, since in the USA you measure with inches etc., while we with centimeters. I have things and photos out of the USA and had problems finding frames over here because of that difference.

Delft has such a nice old centre with the big old church on Makrplein and the canals around there. Really worth a visit.

Archived