Misc. Amsterdam questions

One pic says more than thousands words:

2007AMSTram2526-vi.jpg

So when you recommend because of the luggage to use empty tram you must recommend

26 from Central Station to Cruise Terminal

25 from Cruise Terminal to Central Station

For 26 Central Station is the terminal point and you get an empty tram.

For 25 Cruise Terminal is the terminal point and you get an empty tram.

It would not make any sense to recommend someone only to use the 25 tram when you need to wait another 15 minutes if you missed it but there is also a 26 stopping opposite of the Cruise Terminal and in Front of the Central Station.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We are 4 people arriving about 7:30 am and then boarding the Century. Should we just take a cab from the airport or are we better off taking the train and then a cab from the train station? Would we have much traffic by cab the whole way?

Traffic will depend what day you arrive, on weekends traffic is light, during the week the first few miles can be busy. But a cab will be more convenient, since it will bring you all the way to the cruise-terminal. However not all cabs will have enough space for 4 passenger PLUS luggage, so check that too.

Trains during weekdays can be busy until aprox. 9 o'clock (rushhour). Better buy 1 st clas tickets then and keep an eye on your belongings at all times.

Donot forget to bring Euros, or use ATM at the airport

Someone asked earlier in this thread about renting a car to tour the Netherlands. If, and only if, you are going to change your base of operations from Amsterdam to another town (Leiden, Lisse, for example), does a car make sense. Otherwise it is a huge hassle as parking is extremely expensive in Amsterdam and driving there is not that easy with cobblestones, bikes, trams and pedestrians.

The Dutch have such a wonderful and well-coordinated bus/train system that I would recommend that.

Take a train up to Edam. It's very quaint and serene. Take the train over to Haarlem where it's very compact and lovely. Take the train to Gouda where you can enjoy the sights.

Parking, while available in the smaller cities, usually means finding a garage which could be some distance from where you want to explore.

Using a car to strike out into the bulb fields is fun. But, you can also do this by bike - most train stations have bike rentals facilities on-site and the paths are flat and smooth and well marked.

Have a blast!

Someone asked earlier in this thread about renting a car to tour the Netherlands. If, and only if, you are going to change your base of operations from Amsterdam to another town (Leiden, Lisse, for example), does a car make sense. Otherwise it is a huge hassle as parking is extremely expensive in Amsterdam and driving there is not that easy with cobblestones, bikes, trams and pedestrians.

The Dutch have such a wonderful and well-coordinated bus/train system that I would recommend that.

Take a train up to Edam. It's very quaint and serene. Take the train over to Haarlem where it's very compact and lovely. Take the train to Gouda where you can enjoy the sights.

Parking, while available in the smaller cities, usually means finding a garage which could be some distance from where you want to explore.

Using a car to strike out into the bulb fields is fun. But, you can also do this by bike - most train stations have bike rentals facilities on-site and the paths are flat and smooth and well marked.

Have a blast!

Agreed...only Edam doesnot have a trainstation, only buses...

Are there special parking spots for those persons with handicapped/disabled parking tags? If so, will our USA tag be acceptable?

Deb

Yes there are special parkingspots, (not that many) .

The special parking tags are according european rules and I am nut sure whether the USA tag is accepted here.

I will try and find out and hope to report back.

• 2 weeks later...

TGBarbie. regarding disabled parking... I am sorry to tell you that officially the USA tags are not recognised as such in The Netherlands.

You migh find a nice officer who is willing to accept it..(or not..)

It seems that it is the same with the dutch permits in the USA, just luck if it is accepted. (which I must say often does).

If is quite difficult to get a parkingpermit like that, the person has to pass some tests at a physician etc.. If you are staying in the same area for a certain time, it might be worth to try and get one.

We just returned from Amsterdam and used Senior Holland Travel that had been recommended in an earlier post on this thread. Our tour was fantastic and covered so many beautiful places such as the Keukenhof Gardens, Zaanse Schans and Edam. This was the best day of our trip. You feel like you are traveling with a friend and not just a tour guide/driver. The web page is www.seniorhollandtravel.com.

Jaalice:)

We also used Senior Holland Travel and Wynand felt so much like family that we included him in the picture on canal boat in Amsterdam. We had 2 days with him and he introduced us to the tulip fields, including the mural, Lisse with the canal ride through the lake and a great sausage roll from Den Butter Baker (mmmmm). The next day was Amsterdam (with a canal cruise, frites & the red light district), Zaanse Schans for the Wooden shoe demonstration and tons of gifts for the family back home and the most wonderful Farmers Pancake (Who knew these even existed) and, finally to Edam for a walk around tour and cheese, of course. He listened to what we wanted to see and tailored the tour based on what we said. We have already given his card to our friends who will be in Amsterdam in September.

Thanks for all the terrific information on this thread!

Am coming to Amsterdam mid-August 1 night pre-cruise to the Century. Will be on my own, though will have friends in other locations around the city. Am scoping out sights for leading a group next December.

Am looking for a hotel good for a single (I like both large and smaller boutique hotels). My priorities are the Van Gogh Museum, canal cruise, and would like to do the Anne Frank House and get out to the countryside to see some windmills, though I know I won't have the lovely spring flowers.

Any recommendations? I have taken note of the Senior Holland Travel option, and likely will contact him for the out-of-town travel. How easy will the rest be on my own and any recommendations as to schedule? My flight arrives at 9AM the day before the cruise embarks.

I am so glad you all took my recommendation!! Wynand made my trip to Amsterdam most memorale the first week of April!! I was a woman traveling alone and absolutely loved the feeling of touring with a friend!!

Please keep your comments coming! I want to make sure Wynand continues to be successful!!

Marcy

Thanks for all the great information on getting to the cruise terminal. Just to be sure I have it right, we take the train to Central Station, then get either tram 25 or 26 to the cruise ship terminal. Is this correct?

Is the stop at the cruise ship terminal called "cruise ship terminal"?

Thanks much.

Nancy

Just to be sure I have it right, we take the train to Central Station, then get either tram 25 or 26 to the cruise ship terminal. Is this correct?

Is the stop at the cruise ship terminal called "cruise ship terminal"?

If you take 25: it shows PASSENGER TERMINAL AMSTERDAM as final destination. It's the second and final stop.

If you take 26: it shows IJBURG as final destination. It's the first stop: MUSIEKGEBOUW BIMSHUIS - 25 stops also here - but if you have larger baggage parts stay in 25 for one more stop. It's 30 seconds less walking and 5 less steps to the entrance but you stay one more minute in the tram...

Regards,

HeinBloed

the best way to see amsterdam is by boat, so take one from near the railways staiton, it goes out into the harbour and back into the canal system, absolutely fabulous

if you take an early boat, when you get off near the railway station take the train to den haag (the hague), which is only a short distance away but is very compact and quaint, and has some nice restaurants. my son lives there and it's a nice change to the bustle of amsterdam and can easily be done in a day trip

Are there special parking spots for those persons with handicapped/disabled parking tags? If so, will our USA tag be acceptable?

Deb

TGBarbie, let me tell you what we did in England, and maybe Ine can connect you with the right email address. I did a little research on the internet prior to our trip to the Coventry area in England, googling around a bit to look for UK disabled parking regulations. I sent an email to the local police where we were going to stay, and they (bless them) sent an email off to the Blue Badge parking administration office. They replied to me that if we came into their office with our US disabled placard AND our valid certification (in CA it's our receipt from the Dept of Motor Vehicles), they would issue us a temporary disabled placard. And, so they did! Very nice people.

Take your passport with you, as they might need to use the picture on it for the placard. In the UK they have the picture of the individual, while in CA your receipt has your driver's license number on it.

Amsterdam is a great city, unique in so many ways, but there is so much more to Holland and the great thing about it is, it's so small it doesn't take long to get around (avoid driving, use the train). The other thing is you don't need to speak Dutch. Sure it's appreciated, but I don't think I met a single person in Holland that didn't speak some English.

Terry

• 2 months later...
I really don't like organized bus tours. How easy is it to take public transportation from Amsterdam to Keukenhof Gardens. How long does it take? Cost?

Thanks

First of all remember Keukenhof is only open between Mid March and Mid May, because that is the season tulips etc. are blooming.

http://www.keukenhof.nl/nm/english.html

Easiest way by public transport is, take a train to Schiphol airport and from there 2 buses each hour bring you to Keukenhof. I cannot give you the exact times as the schedules for next spring arenot known yet. Returnticket by train: 2nd class Eur. 6.20 1st : Eur. 10.50. For the bus you best buy a strippenkaart at the trainstation - stamp it is zones and can be used by moe then 1 person - 15 zones will be around Eur. 11.-

Probably enough for 2 persons or buy some additional strips at the busdriver.

In total it will take about 1 hour from CS to Lisse.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello and thank you to all of you for your fabulous posts on here (especially Ine - I have found your posts so helpful!).

My fiance and I have just booked a Mediterranean cruise and are planning for our time in Europe before the cruise. Amsterdam was a must-see for us so we have just booked a flight to Amsterdam arriving from Vancouver mid-afternoon Saturday, May 17th. We will be leaving Amsterdam on Tuesday, May 20th headed for Paris.

We would like to stay in a safe but hip area that is easily accessible to most of the sites. My fiance found a bed and breakfast that got good reviews on tripadvisor. It's called Barangay Bed & Breakfast and it's located Droogbak 15 1013 Amsterdam, according to google maps. Is this in an area that we would feel safe walking late at night and other times of day? Is this close to our must sees listed below? Anyone have any reviews of it? The price is good (109 euros/night including breakfast) - at least the price looks good compared to others we've seen.

Ine (or anyone) - would you have any other suggestions for a relatively cheap hotel or bed and breakfast if Barangay is not a good choice?

We will have two full days plus one evening the first day and possibly the morning of the last day. Our *must-sees* are:

1. Anne Frank house

2. A canal tour

3. Red Light District

4. Shopping district (we've read the 9 streets is good but please advise)

5. Royal Palace (not a tour inside but just to see it)

We are not interested in leaving the city to any of the outlying areas and we are not really museum people but - if we were to do just one museum what would you recommend would be the neatest, most worthwhile?

We haven't decided what to do the day we get in but on our second day (which is a Sunday so I'm not sure if lots of things will be closed) we would like to do the first Anne Frank tour of the day, followed by breakfast (I read the Pancake Bakery is good but if anyone has a better suggestion please do tell) and then possibly the Red Light District. I won't lie, we are tempted to try one of the "coffee shops" so would love some smart, safe choices of which to try :rolleyes: Is the Red Light District better seen during the day or at night to really soak up the atmosphere? Or should we do a canal tour after breakfast to get a feel for Amsterdam?

Regarding canal tours: have read mixed reviews of HOHO vs. a guided, fixed time tour.

Sorry if this post is all over the place but there is just SO much to see and do in this fabulous sounding city!

I would greatly appreciate any opinions on our very tentative itinerary or suggestions of what to do on any of the days we're there as I am getting so overwhelmed :confused:

<<<We would like to stay in a safe but hip area that is easily accessible to most of the sites. My fiance found a bed and breakfast that got good reviews on tripadvisor. It's called Barangay Bed & Breakfast and it's located Droogbak 15 1013 Amsterdam, according to google maps. Is this in an area that we would feel safe walking late at night and other times of day? Is this close to our must sees listed below? Anyone have any reviews of it? The price is good (109 euros/night including breakfast) - at least the price looks good compared to others we've seen.

Ine (or anyone) - would you have any other suggestions for a relatively cheap hotel or bed and breakfast if Barangay is not a good choice? >>>

I donot know Banragay, but Droogbak isnot really a great area. It is more or less hidden in the area around Centraal Station, you might hear trains passing. I donot think it is a dangerous area, but I wouldnot feel happy to walk there at night.

Have a look at this B & B, I have heard good reports about it:

http://www.flynt.nl/

It is a different area, but about the price you mentioned.

Or this small hotel:

http://www.hotelbrouwer.nl/index.html

<<We will have two full days plus one evening the first day and possibly the morning of the last day. Our *must-sees* are:

1. Anne Frank house

2. A canal tour

3. Red Light District

4. Shopping district (we've read the 9 streets is good but please advise)

5. Royal Palace (not a tour inside but just to see it)>>

As you say above, make those visits. My personal favorite museum is Van Gogh.

Shopping is in the 9 streets and also in Kalverstraat, the big store Bijenkorf at Dam. Upscale and expensive are shops in PC Hooftstraat near Rijksmuseum and van Gogh.

Make reservations on-line for Ann Frank to avoid the lines.

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=1&setlanguage=2

<<We haven't decided what to do the day we get in but on our second day (which is a Sunday so I'm not sure if lots of things will be closed) we would like to do the first Anne Frank tour of the day, followed by breakfast (I read the Pancake Bakery is good but if anyone has a better suggestion please do tell) and then possibly the Red Light District. I won't lie, we are tempted to try one of the "coffee shops" so would love some smart, safe choices of which to try :rolleyes: Is the Red Light District better seen during the day or at night to really soak up the atmosphere? Or should we do a canal tour after breakfast to get a feel for Amsterdam? >>>

All shops in citycenter are open on Sunday between 11.00 and 5 pm.

For the atmosphere (lighted brudges etc.) RLD is nicer at night, but a little safer during the day. If you stay at the busy streets, you will be o.k.

Regarding canal tours: have read mixed reviews of HOHO vs. a guided, fixed time tour.

Personally I like the fix canaltours as you get more information. Or du the HoHo during the day and make a evening canalcruise (with ot without wine and cheese) at night. Canals, brdigde etc. are illimunated (SP?) at night, which gives a different impression.

If you like special food, try a Rijsttafel at e.g. Indrapura at Rembrandtsplein (make reservation or go early). Many different dishes, meat, vegetables, et.c. cooked the indonesian way.

For public transportation have a look at this site:

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/touristguide/english/Pages/welcome.aspx

For more info about Amsterdam: http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/

Archived