Drowning Out Snoring

cruzrgrl

I read another post about bringing a fan on board to drown out undesirable noises and it reminded me of a little tip.

My husband is a snorer so I sleep with a fan on so I don't have to listen to him and lose sleep. On our initial two cruises, I was sleep deprived because I didn't bring a fan with us onboard. On our last cruise I discovered a way to sleep like a baby. I propped open the balcony door and the sound of the waves let me sleep like a baby. I slept to the sound of the waves without hearing one snore.

Of course this only works if you have a balcony cabin. Great excuse for a balcony.

My wife got one of those white noise machines.... saved our marriage. Forget it on our first couple of cruises and was very bad (one night for me on lounge chair in Alaska) now believe me it goes everywhere we go with no exceptions.

After initially seeing this thread title, and before opening it to read your comment, my first humorous thought was, "Yep, if you push 'em over the railing into the drink, they will drown and cease to snore". :o

Best wishes for much quality sleep on your upcoming cruise!

Snoring is definitely no laughing matter. I have lost many a night's sleep due to my husband's EXTREMELY LOUD snoring. Consider this..... I have an 80% loss of my hearing. I wear tiny hearing aids, which work so well that you'd never know I am practically deaf. BUT when I take them out at night, it's another story. I can't hear much (which comes in handy sometimes but is pretty scary other times). Well, my DH snored so loudly that even with ear plugs in my 80% deaf ears, I could still hear him loud enough that I couldn't sleep! Now, that is BAD!!!

Finally, one of my DH's friends talked him into having a sleep test done, to see if he needed a CPAP machine. Sure enough, he needed one. Insurance paid for the thing, too! That little machine has literally changed both our lives. Now, he feels refreshed when he wakes up, instead of being tired all the time. And I can actually sleep again! But aside from this very pleasant side effect of the CPAP, it really IS a life saver. My DH has sleep apnea and would actually stop breathing hundreds of times each night. That's pretty scary! My point in going through all this is that if your spouse (doesn't have to be a man to have sleep apnea!) snores extremely loudly, please urge them to have a sleep test! You will both thank me for it, if they get a CPAP machine!!

Often I would have to go to another room just to get some sleep. Hubby had sleep apnea and now wears a CPAP EVERY night. He loves it and feels like a new man/ I love his too and it has its own white noise.

After initially seeing this thread title, and before opening it to read your comment, my first humorous thought was, "Yep, if you push 'em over the railing into the drink, they will drown and cease to snore". :o

Best wishes for much quality sleep on your upcoming cruise!

:D That was my first thought also. HeHeHe. :D

He needs to get checked out for Sleep Apnea and get a CPAP Machine, life will be great after that.

Fred,

As usual, you are so on with your advice. :)

For the OP and others -

This snoring thing is not as funny as we have made it. Check this out - http://www.sleepapnea.org/info/index.html

Too many people don't understand snoring, Sleep Apnea, and sleep deprivation from the disease. This can be a life threatening situation. Sleep Apnea patients literally STOP BREATHING. The blood oxygen starts to run low. If the brain fails to trigger, the blood runs even lower on oxygen. If this cascades.... well, you get the picture. (You wont have to throw him in the drink.)

Please, get your snoring darling to a doctor.

I've used a CPAP for several years now. CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machines are quiet and compact. (they don't snore!) A humidifier might be prescribed. Most machines have this option built in. There are diffenent head gear types for maximum comfort.

Best of all, I DON'T snore. Now if I can get DW to wear one!

shoot lots, edit later, share often

g.

My husband used to keep the whole family up with his snoring. We would go to sleep before him hoping to avoid the noise. He was tested last year and to no ones great surprise he had sleep apnea and has used his CPAP machine ever since. Trust me, it has helped immensely. He wakes up refreshed. And, best of all, we are all able to sleep.:) :)

My DH is not a loud snorer-just one of those light obnoxious ones. Solved the problem-I am leaving him at home for my cruise next month.

After many years I have learned to sleep with the TV on and if that doesn't work a slight push to turn him over usually works long enough for me to go to sleep.

I can totally relate. My DH snores so LOUD that I have to sleep in the other room so when we travel it is real hard. I think I will try to bring a white noise machine with us this time and see if it helps. I also like the idea of leaving the balcony door open. If the snoring gets too bad I may have to take matters into my own hands and the ship may come back with one less passenger!:)

Snoring is definitely no laughing matter. I have lost many a night's sleep due to my husband's EXTREMELY LOUD snoring. Consider this..... I have an 80% loss of my hearing. I wear tiny hearing aids, which work so well that you'd never know I am practically deaf. BUT when I take them out at night, it's another story. I can't hear much (which comes in handy sometimes but is pretty scary other times). Well, my DH snored so loudly that even with ear plugs in my 80% deaf ears, I could still hear him loud enough that I couldn't sleep! Now, that is BAD!!!

Finally, one of my DH's friends talked him into having a sleep test done, to see if he needed a CPAP machine. Sure enough, he needed one. Insurance paid for the thing, too! That little machine has literally changed both our lives. Now, he feels refreshed when he wakes up, instead of being tired all the time. And I can actually sleep again! But aside from this very pleasant side effect of the CPAP, it really IS a life saver. My DH has sleep apnea and would actually stop breathing hundreds of times each night. That's pretty scary! My point in going through all this is that if your spouse (doesn't have to be a man to have sleep apnea!) snores extremely loudly, please urge them to have a sleep test! You will both thank me for it, if they get a CPAP machine!!

That would be me. I have sleep apnea and the CPAP not only allowed me to sleep more restfully, but my poor fiance and my kids as well. I've woken them up down the hall with my snoring. :o

My boss wore one of those sleep apnea masks and would always come in to work with lines on his face from the strap. :eek:

I have a CPAP machine and had the same problems with the lines on my face caused by the straps on my face mask. I solved the problem by going to the Dollar Tree store and buying a pair of thin, soft gloves. I cut the 2 longest fingers off the gloves, cut open the ends of the fingers, put my mask straps through them and NO MORE LINES ON MY FACE!!

I've woken them up down the hall with my snoring. :o

Thats nothing, Someone called the Fire Department to my house :D and my new neighbors said, "WOW, I didn't think we had Earthquakes every night here in San Diego" :D

Thank god for CPAP !!!

Fred

Archived