Tipping at the supper club on the Miracle

Bob and Linda

Our upcoming cruise on the Miricale will be our 5th with Carnival. We plan on dining at Nick and Nora's. We're aware of the $30.00 per person to dine there. Is an additional tip expected or is it at our discretion? What do you base the tip on and how much per person???

Our upcoming cruise on the Miricale will be our 5th with Carnival. We plan on dining at Nick and Nora's. We're aware of the $30.00 per person to dine there. Is an additional tip expected or is it at our discretion? What do you base the tip on and how much per person???

None is required, since the $30 is the service charge, but some still extend a $10pp tips, its totally up to you.

As an earlier post said, the $30 is the tip to the servers. They are not charging you for the food. I think $30 per person tip is really enough.

Carnival use to have this listed on their website, not sure why they removed it, really leads to confusion on the part of some cruisers.

This is what they used to have on the website, it was removed when the price went up to $30pp

The reservation fee is $25 per guest, per entree. This fee includes the wait staffs' gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. There is nightly entertainment during dinner such as a cabaret singer or duet along with a large dance floor. There is also a cooking display area where guests can watch the chefs prepare their culinary masterpieces.

I added $10 (dined alone) on each of the three nights I ate at Nick & Nora's during my Carnival Miracle sailing last year. I , too, had been advised that the surcharge was already the gratuity, due to expanded service. But each night I had the same absolutely perfect servers, so I wanted them to know I really appreciated all they did. I did it only as personal choice, and at no time felt pressured (or obligated) to do it. Those were the three best nights of dining I'd done in a long time, and I'm getting hungry right now just thinking about it.:)

$30 per person is more that sufficient.

The dinner they serve would cost about $50 to $60 per person at a very nice restaurant. So, you are tipping them 50% to 60% at $30 each.

What kind of fancy restaurant would someone have to go to to require more than a 50% tip...?

So the couple that TIP'd an extra $50 ended up tipping 92% to 110% of the value of the dinner...:eek:

I'm sure this couple didn't understand that they already paid their TIP.

$30 per person is more that sufficient.

The dinner they serve would cost about $50 to $60 per person at a very nice restaurant. So, you are tipping them 50% to 60% at $30 each.

What kind of fancy restaurant would someone have to go to to require more than a 50% tip...?

So the couple that TIP'd an extra $50 ended up tipping 92% to 110% of the value of the dinner...:eek:

I'm sure this couple didn't understand that they already paid their TIP.

Assuming that the servers got 100% of that $30. Considering that the food is much better quality and the preparation of a higher degree than the general dining area I seriously doubt that it is more than a small % of money that goes towards tip. The $5 tip and $25 to CCL sounds about right to me, which makes the tip 20% built in. Sufficient if that is all you want to leave. Of course, the built in tip of $10 per day is sufficient for all your other tips if that's all you want to leave...

Assuming that the servers got 100% of that $30. Considering that the food is much better quality and the preparation of a higher degree than the general dining area I seriously doubt that it is more than a small % of money that goes towards tip. The $5 tip and $25 to CCL sounds about right to me, which makes the tip 20% built in. Sufficient if that is all you want to leave. Of course, the built in tip of $10 per day is sufficient for all your other tips if that's all you want to leave...

I have to agree with Venture.

First, when you TIP at a restaurant, do you always assume the servers get 100% of the TIP...? I never do, nor do I worry about it. There is a lot more to you receiving good service and a good experience than the servers. I TIP for the service and experiences I receive and don't try to micro manage why the service was so wonderful or how that TIP gets divvied up.

And I agree... you already paid for your food when you booked your cruise. The real difference between the Supper Club and the main dining room is not that you receive a better quality of food, but the attention paid to the preparation of your meal. They are only cooking for 150 people... not 3000 people.

Let's take a scenario:

On a full night of 150 people in the Supper Club, that's $4500 for the Chef, wait-staff, etc. to share in. Lets suppose there are 20 working in the Supper Club. That's $225 each if evenly split. Not bad for 4 hours work... I'm sure there are plenty that would like to make that kind of money.:D

But like I said... how the money gets split up is neither here nor there for me. I TIP on the aggregate of services rendered.

My whole point is, $30 per person is more than fair since you already paid for your food when you purchased your cruise. :)

we dined at the Emerald room on the glory about 3 weeks ago , have to say the staff did a wonderful job the food was excellent!!!!!!!! we tip

10.00 pp extra well worth it . one of the best meals i ever had.

Im sure they appreciated it, who did you hand the tip to?? Or did you just put it on your S&S card.

For me, I put it on the S&S, rather than handing cash to just one server (since there are multiple servers who take care of each person dining).

The stated price whether it be $25, 30, or above (per person) is all about the meal itself. I am a frequent patron of the CCL Supper Clubs. I always have/will extend a tip to the wait staff of no less than $15/pp. Even CCL officer staff that are permitted to dine in the Supper Clubs are expected to tip (at least $10/pp at the time the meal fee was $25).

It's a fine presentation. I can't imagine one not tipping but then to each ...

The staff in the upgrade restaurants rotate through and are assigned to other rooms during hours when not in the supperclubs. As such, they partake in the tip pool created by the 15% bar add-on and the $10/day tax added to your S&S account. Don't forget, you are charged the $10 even on days when you don't eat in the dinning room. The $30 charge is for the added cost of the higher staffing levels of the supperclubs. It goes for the salaries of the additional staff not into the tip pool. The service is better because the wait staff have fewer people to take of. Working there is probably easier than in the main dinning rooms, and per se, shouldn't warrent any additional tip. However, even given the easier job, if the service is above what is expected (just as in the dinning room), you may want to tip sometning extra. But if you put it on your card, it will go into the pool and the waiter that you meant it for won't get it. So, If you are going to tip anything additional, discreetly stick cash in the hand of the person who earned it.

Personally, I think it would be better if they raised the price of a 7 day cruise by $210 and gave the upgraded food and service eveywhere in the ship. But then it would be Oceania, not Carnival!

Archived