MEN: Rent onboard Tux or bring own suit?

jayz

On a 10 day Emerald cruise. Can anbody advise what the trend is these days on the big ships? I think Princess rents a Tux for $85. Can anyone verify that? Or would a nice suit suffice? Renting would save the hassle of packing a suit and getting wrinkles. If anyone has rented a Tux can you comment on the quality?

On a 10 day Emerald cruise. Can anbody advise what the trend is these days on the big ships? I think Princess rents a Tux for $85. Can anyone verify that? Or would a nice suit suffice? Renting would save the hassle of packing a suit and getting wrinkles. If anyone has rented a Tux can you comment on the quality?

I think by the time you pay for the shoes, the total cost of renting the tux is about $100 for a 7-day cruise. I like the ease of renting the tux as opposed to bringing a suit along---the times I have done it, it is always hung up in my cabin when I arrive. Quality seems fine to me---I have rented three times, and once I got a pair of pants that were a bit thread worn, but nothing major. I would have no hesitation to recommend the service.

I haven't rented one, but our luggage was delayed on a recent cruise and Princess delivered a tux for me to wear the first formal night. It was as good as any other tux I've worn including my own. Of course I bought my on sale from a rental store. :)

If I didn't own my own I wouldn't hesitate to rent one on board. However, a solid color suit would work well too.

I've always rented, and have never had a problem with the quality. Although it has been very handy to have the tux delivered to the stateroom, I'm going to take a suit this time. After awhile, it gets a little pricey for the convenience!

Jayz - realized that I didn't really answer your question! On the larger ships, it seems that the majority wear suits. It really comes down to personal preference. And yes, by the time you add shoes, vests, etc. it come out close to $115. It is really convenient though, and most of the larger ships have formal shops onboard, so if there is a problem (pants don't fit, etc.) they can usually help you out.

I've always brought a suit. If you have a normal wool suit, any wrinkles come out if you hang it for a day.

If you think $100 or so is worth it to save from packing a suit, by all means go for it. For me, since the wife brings dresses, it's an easy matter to throw in one of my suits into the garment bag along with her dresses.

I find suits more comfortable than tuxes anyways. Just had to wear a tux this weekend. My own tux. Felt better in my suits, even tho my tux cost more.

I also have always rented a tux from the cruiseline. I usually brought my own shoes but also rented a vest to change from using the cumberbum. My wife bought a tux for me for our last cruise so now I bring mine with me. I haven't found it to me a hassle to bring it but it was always nice to have one hanging there when I got to my room and just leaving it there when I left.

My understanding it is one price regardless of the length of cruise. Have always taken a tux I own or dark suit (which will definitely suffice) for formal nights, but plan to rent a tuxedo on May Emerald cruise (12 days). I'm trying this as way to lighten luggage weight as airlines are getting much more stringent on their luggage restrictions especially for international travel. My estimates per info on Princess site is that full tux and shoes will be around $100. The tux set ($85.00) includes coat, pants, cumberbund and tie, cufflinks and studs, and two shirts. The shoes are $12.00. Other options for formal wear are also available.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is the link to the site of the company used by Princess found on the Princess web site:

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

Steve

One thing to note is that if you rent, you get a cummerbund. I HATE cummerbunds. So, if I rented, it'd be $120 cuz I'd rent the vest too.

I'd rather spend that money on an excursion instead. However, if you're facing luggage weight limit problems, it may be worth it. Luckily for me, my wife and I both pack light so luggage weight isn't really a problem.

We go on a couple of cruises per year, so I bought a tux and bring it with me. Worked out to be much cheaper in the long run.

Paul

I picked up one from Jos A Bank during one of their sales, and the cost of the tux and shirt was less than the cost of 2 rentals.

Are a dark blue sport jacket and nice brown slacks appropriate for men or should it be a full-color suit if a tux is not preferred?

It should be a dark colored suit at the most casual, however, if you show up in a sports coat and tie, I really doubt you'll be kicked out. You'll look a little bit underdressed, but not horribly so.

On my last cruise, I saw a couple of guys in those weird mandarin collar shirts that have a fancier button at the very top. They were seated, so you likely could get away with not wearing a tie on formal night.

Personally, I like ties. I think dress shirts are choking. So, I buy my shirts so the neck is a little loose, and then use a tie to disguise the fact that I unbutton the top button. Works pretty well. Almost as comfortable as a t-shirt, but with the tie knot all the way up, it looks like I'm formally dressed.

A suit would suffice. On my third cruise, I rented a tux and have been ever since. I like not having to pack the suit. I also like the idea of dressing up a couple of days out of the year. It makes the formal nights more special and the wife likes it.

I have rented a tux for a 7 day cruise and a 10 day cruise. Shoes and tux run about $100.00 and fit me great. I did have one problem with a shirt and room stewart had it replaced in 10 minutes. I think it is great and I have so much more room in my suit case for other things.:D

Are a dark blue sport jacket and nice brown slacks appropriate for men or should it be a full-color suit if a tux is not preferred?

Yes, a dark sport coat with slacks (and dress shirt with necktie, of course) would be fine. The key is coat and tie.

I rented a tuxedo from Cruiselineformal.com the last time I was on CB. It was nice to find it hanging in my cabin when I boarded. I didn’t have to bring or press a suit, and didn’t have to drag it home or have it cleaned. It didn’t bother me that someone had worn it before…after all, it’s a rental. The shoes fit well, and I didn't have to drag them along in a suitcase...they take up so much room! (Why does my wife need so many pairs for a 7-day journey? :confused: )

It came with two shirts, both nicely pressed. One had a stain on the cuff, but it wasn’t too noticeable. I probably could've gotten it replaced if it'd been obvious.

If money is an issue, bring your own dark suit. For convenience, the rental is tough to beat. If I rented one again, I'd think about the 2 jacket (both white and black) option or I'd bring the vest from my tux at home for a different look on one of the formal nights.

On the downside, someone in line for Anytime Dining mistook me for a crew member. We laugh about that a lot...happens to me every time we're on a ship.

take the blue suit. my experience is that most gents on the cruises we have been on wear a suit , not a tux. i'm not much for dressing up so a suit is fine with me but if you prefer to dress up then by all means do so. you wont feel out of place if you do or dont.

Archived