Is it true O's sommeliers receive no salaries?

china addict

I saw on a recent thread that some pax were told "off the record" that the sommeliers on Oceania receive no salary, only 18% gratuity on wine sales which is why they push the expensive bottles, yet I find this hard to believe. The crew seem like a happy bunch, but in their shoes I wouldn't be satisfied with this type of compensation. Does the "no salary" rule apply to bartenders, store clerks, spa staff, etc., or do these folks work for outside concessions? Does anyone know the real story?

Oh that just makes me shudder. As a Regent fan who is considering Oceania, this sounds very negative. On Regent, there is no tipping (i.e., the staff is paid well), and they treat you accordingly. They are almost universally a happy bunch, content with their work. I can't imagine that would be the case when staff are so dependent on tips. Let's hope it's not true on O.

Oh that just makes me shudder. As a Regent fan who is considering Oceania, this sounds very negative. On Regent, there is no tipping (i.e., the staff is paid well), and they treat you accordingly.

Just because there is "NO TIPPING" by the passenger (you have already paid the tips in your cruise fare) it does not mean the crew are better paid than other lines.

Oceania crew were very happy and not just a phoney happy you see on Princess and some of the mass market lines.

We found they do their best to make your cruise experiece a good one...there is always one or two on any cruiseline that may not be happy/helpful.

Remember, the gratuity is not really a tip. The 18% gratuity is a surcharge, automatically added to the purchase. It then goes directly to the staff member. They know they will receive nearly 20% of every dollar spent. Obviously, then, it is in their best interest to appear as happy and contented as a Regent staff member, because no one will purchase anything from someone who is sour and discontented. In fact, because it is in their own self-interest to please you, I can almost assure you they will be most satisfactory.

I have no experience with Regent, but my direct experience with Oceania staff bears this out. Certainly, you have read all the comments on this board about the happiness and friendliness of the Oceania staff. I have never seen a comment, even from the most negative posters, about unhappy staff.

I would also be willing to bet that they make more money than salaried staff.

If there was anything negative to say about the sommeliers it would be that they were not real sommeliers but rather very pleasant wine servers.

We found them to be friendly and as helpful as they could be without much knowledge of the wines they were serving. We never got the impression that they were trying to up-sell us.;)

Archived