How do you pack bottles of Vitamins & Prescriptions in carry on??

TSA or Custom checking the containers is not the only reason. More importantly if something were to happen to you then doctors/EMTs can see the medications and dosages you are taking in the unlikely event an emergency occurs where you are unconscious. This is especially important if they put you on other medications for your new condition without considerign what medications you had been taking.

That's a great point to bring up. I do think about this and I do carry a list of all my meds and dosages in my wallet because I take so many different medications. It's always a good idea to get a print-out from your pharmacist of all the meds you're taking along with the dosages in case of an emergency.

That's a great point to bring up. I do think about this and I do carry a list of all my meds and dosages in my wallet because I take so many different medications. It's always a good idea to get a print-out from your pharmacist of all the meds you're taking along with the dosages in case of an emergency.

I wouild like to add that duplicates of your prescriptions signed by your MD are a good idea so that you can have them filled if you lose the medicine somehow. Generic drug names not brand names if you're travelling abroad.

I have a weekly pill sorter that I use. I used it when we flew to the UK also with no problems. I'd hate to have to pack all of the bottles. I guess I'm taking a chance. :rolleyes:

I agree with WeirdEyes. I have 2 weekly pill sorters, that have 7 separate containers for each day. I also take a lot of vitamins and medications, so I separate them for each day using the organizer and have a few days extra with me for the unkown factor. Since I do not take my prescription bottles with me I take extra scripts with me incase the meds get lost or something and can get them filled. I keep a list of meds in my wallet incase I have an emergency that a doctor needs to know what I take and the dosage. This way I do not have to carry all of those containers.

Remember each person is allowed one quart size bag for the 3 oz and under liquids.

I've been packing my vitamins in our checked luggage because I don't want to carry the huge bottles in the carryon. I do put the prescription meds in a large ziploc. So far, they haven't asked me to pull it out to check it. In fact, once I put it in the basket and they told me I didn't need to do that.

I get a 3 month supply in the mail also, so as long as they don't have to fit in my 1 qt ziplock I'm ok, I'll just lug them in my tote bag I'm bringing that will have my camera's purse, docs etc. but do you think the vitamins will get tossed if just in a pill dispenser? Isn't it a shame how innocent people have to suffer for terrorists actions. Such a shame :( I sure appreciate all the help, and it looks like this is a thread that may help other people also! Thank you all so much! :)

Yes to those questions.

There are 3 states: Solid, liquid and gas. Air is gas. When we fly the air caught in our ear canal expands as we gain altitude and compresses as we descend. This does not happen with solids or liquids. Have you ever taken a bag of potato chips from sea level up a mountain? By the time you get to the top of the mountain that bag is about ready to burst. Since there is less pressure at higher altitudes, then there is less pressure being exerted on whatever gas is contained in a container and as such the gas expands. Generally containers do not explode when flying, instead they leak because of the pressure caused by the expanding gas forcing the liquid (or gas) out of an opening that can’t hold back the pressure.

FWIW, this is the stuff you learn in HS physics or during scuba certification. Hence the reason a tank of air will last much longer in shallower water than in deeper water.

Wow, you explained that so clearly, I wish your were one of my kids teachers :) Thank you so much! So I guess I will be squeezing a few shampoo bottles :p and put in gallon size bag just in case!

I always use a pill sorter. My husband takes 5 different prescriptions, plus vitamins. I put his in one sorter and my vitamins in another. He carries a card in his wallet with all his prescriptions/vitamins and their strengh/dosage amounts and when to take them - morning/night. I sort his pills by morning/night so all he has to do is take them. I don't want to pack all the bottles Orgainizer works great for me.

Hi -

I apologize if I am going to repeat information....I didn't read each and every post.....but I have an easy answer.

I am a diabetic and travel for work...2 or 3 trips a month on occassion.

TSA does not require you to carry the original bottles of meds - just the labels. I clip the prescription label from each current prescription and include a letter from my physician. This is all tucked in a snack-size zip-lock bag and then into a clear plastic travel bag (you can find them at Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart, etc.)

My pills are divided into the weekly containers and go into the clear-travel-bag with my plastic disposal container for syringes.

The big plastic case (apx. 4" X 6" X 10") travels in my carry-on bag - NEVER check your meds. My two liquid Insulins are placed in my quart-size zip-lock bag with other liquids (perfume pencil, Tide stain stick, etc.)

I always alert the TSA agent that I am a diabetic and traveling with syringes. On occassion a TSA agent will double-check my prescriptions....but very rarely.

I traveled to Alaska last summer for over two weeks and it all squeezed into the plastic-travel-case ---barely. I generally carry 1 1/2 times the meds. I will need for a trip (I was traveling during 9/11 and learned THAT lesson!).

Many places will allow you to dispose of your syringes. I stopped by the Medical Center on the Radiance of the Seas and disposed of my used syringes without any problem.

It really is absolutely NO problem at all to travel with meds. Between my oral meds, and vitamins, I take 6 pills in the morning and 2 at nighttime....and everything fits easily into my carry-on.

Another travel tip.

You can carry TWO bags onto most aircraft. 1.) Your 22" rolling bag/duffel bag AND one personal bag. or your "personal bag" -- airlines say a purse or laptop for example.....Take a tote bag, tuck your purse inside, your book AND meds. It will leave a little extra room in your suitcase for more.......SHOES!!!

Ok, ok, one more FINAL tip.

Be sure to carry your prescription labels. I had to refill a precription on the road and it made life FAR more easy. Your health is FAR too important!

Finally....the end of my ramble other than to say....have a fabulous trip!

Cathy

Archived