I Need Help! - medications

Hello,I will be sailing on March25,2007 on the N.C.L. Jewel.What i need to know is i take 10 bottles of medicine for health problems.Do i have to take each bottle are can i put them in my 7 day medicine keeper that you get at the drug store.:rolleyes:

I think if you take your prescriptions for each they may accept the dispenser...maybe a photo of the bottles with it??

Hello,I will be sailing on March25,2007 on the N.C.L. Jewel.What i need to know is i take 10 bottles of medicine for health problems.Do i have to take each bottle are can i put them in my 7 day medicine keeper that you get at the drug store.:rolleyes:

We take ours in the medicine keeper and add a list of the meds name with

doses and prescription number. Something else we do is because we cruise longer than 7 days, we have extra meds in snack size ziploc bags, write the name of the med and dosage on the bag, and then put into a larger ziploc. Less hassle for packing than all the bottles.:)

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.:)

My dad also takes alot of medication and the airlines told him that they had to be in regular bottles with rx label on it. Because he always puts them in the day planners also.

I think it depends on the airline. We travel and fly frequently and never bring the bottles. Only the ziploc bags. But we do make sure to bring the list of meds with us. :)

Hi! We'll be on the same sailing of the Jewel. Hope you'll be in touch in the Roll Call forum.

If the question is in terms of airport security screening, TSA states (at http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#2 ):

Medication & Special Needs Devices

We recommend, but not require, that passengers bring along any supporting documentation (ID cards, letter from doctor, etc.) regarding their medication needs. We also recommend, but not require, that the label on prescription medications match the passengers boarding pass. If the name on prescription medication label does not match the name of the passenger, the passenger should expect to explain why to the security officers. To ensure a smooth screening process, passengers are encouraged to limit quantities to what is needed for the duration of the flight.

All disability-related equipment, aids, and devices continue to be allowed through security checkpoints once cleared through screening.

For more information on what to expect during security screening, you may want to visit our section written for Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions.

I think if you take any medication that is considered to be a "controlled substance" you should definitely take the med bottle or at the very least a copy of the label or script. I sometimes get really bad back problems that are the results of a bad accident I had years ago. Haven't had any problems lately, but I would never travel without the meds just in case. The med for my back problem is considered to be a "controlled substance". I would never travel without the bottle!!!:D Even when we go skiing locally by car, I still take the bottle!

I also have a lot of prescription drugs I need to take when vacationing. I have never brought the bottles. I just use the daily pill holders. I do keep a list of drugs with me. I have never had a problem yet. Also, I never pack them, always in my backpack. Don't want to lose your luggage with your pills! No controlled substances though. Maybe that makes a difference, who knows!

Yes, many have traveled with the original and had no problems. That does not mean it is okay. It just means they did not have any problems.

If you were to get sick and somebody had to "guess' what drugs you were taking, what could happen? Is your health worth the chance?

If you were stopped during an airport inspection, or customs, etc. ,... is the delay worth it?

Gee, how hard to just carry the originals? And of course ALWAYS - ALWAYS carry them on the plane with you. do not check them. Seems obvious, but people do it all the time.

PS - These boards work better and you will get more responses if you make the SUBJECT line a bit more descriptive.

Yes, many have traveled with the original and had no problems. That does not mean it is okay. It just means they did not have any problems.

If you were to get sick and somebody had to "guess' what drugs you were taking, what could happen? Is your health worth the chance?

If you were stopped during an airport inspection, or customs, etc. ,... is the delay worth it?

Gee, how hard to just carry the originals? And of course ALWAYS - ALWAYS carry them on the plane with you. do not check them. Seems obvious, but people do it all the time.

PS - These boards work better and you will get more responses if you make the SUBJECT line a bit more descriptive.

Just want to point out that many people have prescription meds as three months supplies! The containers are very big and take up much room. That is why we always travel with them in a ziploc bag, with extras in case we are stuck somewhere, and we always have the list with all meds listed with names, doses and pharmacy phone number. They are always in our carry ons and we go through security with no problems.

I also take a lot of meds and carry them in a zipped cosmetic bag. It's just like an insulated lunch bag. It works great for me. If there should be any questions, they are right in my hand. You can use the 7-Day dispenser, but it's always best to have the original bottles with you.

Just want to point out that many people have prescription meds as three months supplies! The containers are very big and take up much room. That is why we always travel with them in a ziploc bag, with extras in case we are stuck somewhere, and we always have the list with all meds listed with names, doses and pharmacy phone number. They are always in our carry ons and we go through security with no problems.

I also have mine filled as a 3 month supply and I have to take a lot of pills. Carrying all those big bottles would be a major pain. I also take some extra doses in case of a problem, such as our trip being extended for some reason. I have had my backpack randomly searched and have never had a problem anywhere. We travel a lot and nobody has ever even questioned me about my pills.

How odd. My son takes 5 different meds and some of them are in the 3 month containers but I never have a problem taking them in their original container. Some of his meds are controlled substances so I prefer to have the appropriately labeled containers when traveling, but I just throw the 5 bottles in a ziplock back and then into my carry on. Do people really think it takes up that much room? And they certainly don't weigh very much.

If they are prescription medications and you are taking an airplane, you will need to take the actual prescription bottle with the name of the prescription and the dose. You probably shouldn't pack them away in your check-in luggage, just in case your luggage is lost.

I always carry the prescription bottles in a gallon ziplock bag and pack it in my carry-on.......we usually have about 5-6 different prescriptions to bring with us. When you go thru security at the airport, all of your meds will be in one place and the TSA screeners can inspect them easily.

My TA called the airline before our last trip and they told her if we were leaving the country, especially Mexico, to make sure we have the bottles. I save the latest empty and just take the required plus 4 of each pill. ( I take 3 that are in 3 month bottles and 2 in monthly supply bottles. ) Since they're in my carryon, they really don't take that much room and are light. My husband carries the list of my meds in his wallet as I do, in case I would have an "incident" and he needed the info quickly. I keep them all in a plastic container. Also label the container with my name and destination, in case they would get left behind or taken by someone. Might actually get them back.???

Thinking my husband should carry the extra 4 with him...in case something would happen to my carry on..hmmm

Safeway (well at least here in Canada) will set up the daily planners, and post the prescriptions on the back of the planner in plain very of every official that needs to scrutinize them. Works well if you need that.

Personally, I have about 8 meds I have to take daily, but I don't need the planners. I take all the meds with me in their respective bottles. I was questioned once in Whitehorse, and they confiscated the meds that were not labeled correctly.

I just wouldn't take a chance since, as I mentioned above, one of my meds is considered a "controlled substance". I just throw the meds (which I put into a small, clear, plastic baggy), along with first aid stuff, (have an 11 1/2 DS that is always getting little cuts or scrapes) into a one gallon, zip lock baggy, and put in in my carryon.:D No biggy!

I don't worry about TSA screeners as they do not care about pills . . . only liquids and sharps. I am somewhat concerned about customs when flying into another country.

If your flights are domestic, just do whatever works best for you.

How odd. My son takes 5 different meds and some of them are in the 3 month containers but I never have a problem taking them in their original container. Some of his meds are controlled substances so I prefer to have the appropriately labeled containers when traveling, but I just throw the 5 bottles in a ziplock back and then into my carry on. Do people really think it takes up that much room? And they certainly don't weigh very much.

Well unfortunately I have to take about 20 different medications every day. They are in big bottles. They do take up a lot of room. Since I have not had any trouble with them being in pill holders, I will continue that way. I may have just cursed myself, but I hope I haven't!

Archived