TEA on Carnival?

beckym

Does anyone know if there's a variety of teas on the newer Carnival ships? i do recall a proper tea time, where there was variety of teas--but what about the counter in the buffet dining rooms where you can get tea or coffee 24 hours? Anything besides Liptons Black Tea?

THANKS!!

Becky

sailing Carnival Valor April 29, 2007

Yes Carnival does have a variety of teas. But, in the dining room some waiters just brought Lipton tea. I sent that back and would ask for Earl Grey or English Breakfast. Sometimes they come with a 'box' of different teas for you to chose one but not always. On the buffet they even had green tea. Tea bags don't take up much room in a suitcase so I'd take my favorite tea if I can't be sure they have it.

Carnival has "Tea Time" every sea day afternoon around 3 or 3:30. It will be listed in the Capers for exact time and place. It's a very nice respite from the hoopla of activities on the ship, and I never miss it. It's not "High Tea", but similiar. They have the wooden boxes of tea varities. (It's one of the few places I've found my favorite - 'Blue Eyes'.) The scones, lemon curd, petit fours, tea sandwiches, etc. are excellent.

You can get hot tea from room service, as well as in the dining room - and tea bags/hot water are available on Lido, but not a variety.

Fellow tea-drinking cruisers: THANK YOU for the tips (as in the tips of tea leaves?) tea on Carnival.

Good idea to bring a few tea bags of favorite blends, just in case there's no Earl Grey or green tea easily available at all times.

Looking forward to tea-time; on our last cruise, there was a lovely string quartet one day, and a panist on another.

THANKS AGAIN for your replies,

Becky

On Lido or in dining room if they do not have the tea you like ask them just to get you some. They do not leave our much of the green or Earl Gray, if any at all. So just ask as the do have a stash both places. Daughter had to ask EVERY time she wanted some.

Muumuu, Carib Dreams, and Wennfred--thank you all for adding to the information. I love this board!! Oh, those pix of tea time!!!! YUMMMYYY!

Thanks again to all fellow cruisin' tea lovers, for your input and helpful ideas.

Becky

I am off topic here- but I have to laugh, I must spend too much time reading message boards...when I saw TEA in all CAPS in the subject line, I was trying to figure out what T E A stood for in message board speak. It didn't even occur to me that it could be about tea that you drink.:eek:

I kid you not, I had a dream last night,(I know, boring) about tea time. Woke up & said to myself,I am going to tea on my next cruise since I seemed to have missed it on my last three cruises. Unfortunately I have to wait until I'm on my cruise in Oct. on Princess.

Now what's up with these adds, yesterday I was reading an add about knock off purses & the add was for purses. The add at the top of this page is about tea!

jck - :D Although we get the boards 'free', somebody has to pay the bills! This just started about a week or so ago. It's only on the first post of each thread, and changes a lot.

B/C I missed tea time on both of my cruises! Kept getting distracted, but I'll definitely make it this time.

Now, one thing I haven't figured out yet: is this High Tea or Afternoon Tea? People often get them confused, and I had trouble figuring it out with the pictures/link above.

High Tea

Many people use the term "High Tea" to describe the event I've mentioned above, probably because it sounds more elite. But High Tea is a much different thing. It was served later (around six in the evening) and consisted of a full, dinner meal for the common people. Tea was still served, but there would also be meats, fish or eggs, cheese, bread and butter, and cake. It was more of a man's meal, than a ladies social diversion.

Afternoon Tea

This is the one that comes to mind when people think of English tea ceremonies. It all began back in the mid 1800s, when the Duchess of Bedford started having a tray of tea with bread and butter served to her in the mid-afternoon. You see, in those days, lunch was served at noon but dinner was not eaten until 8 or even 9 o'clock at night. The Duchess found herself hungry during those long afternoon hours. It became a regular occurance and as she began to invite other high-society ladies to join her, having Afternoon Tea became the 'in-thing' for the upper-class women. Along with tea, there would be small pastries with clotted cream or preserves, delicate sandwiches, and scones.

Also, do tell me they have clotted cream! What is tea without it?

Tea time is during sea days, a lovely afternoon and the room is always crowded.

I have not found this to be the case.

I have sometimes been the only one there or maybe one other table.

I have been by myself since no one else in my party wanted to go and it was still nice and relaxing.

Maybe more relaxing without them.

B/C I missed tea time on both of my cruises! Kept getting distracted, but I'll definitely make it this time.

Now, one thing I haven't figured out yet: is this High Tea or Afternoon Tea? People often get them confused, and I had trouble figuring it out with the pictures/link above.

High Tea

Many people use the term "High Tea" to describe the event I've mentioned above, probably because it sounds more elite. But High Tea is a much different thing. It was served later (around six in the evening) and consisted of a full, dinner meal for the common people. Tea was still served, but there would also be meats, fish or eggs, cheese, bread and butter, and cake. It was more of a man's meal, than a ladies social diversion.

Afternoon Tea

This is the one that comes to mind when people think of English tea ceremonies. It all began back in the mid 1800s, when the Duchess of Bedford started having a tray of tea with bread and butter served to her in the mid-afternoon. You see, in those days, lunch was served at noon but dinner was not eaten until 8 or even 9 o'clock at night. The Duchess found herself hungry during those long afternoon hours. It became a regular occurance and as she began to invite other high-society ladies to join her, having Afternoon Tea became the 'in-thing' for the upper-class women. Along with tea, there would be small pastries with clotted cream or preserves, delicate sandwiches, and scones.

Also, do tell me they have clotted cream! What is tea without it?

Sounds more like Afternoon Tea on the ship. But I like the idea of having a whopping Cheeseburger and a tall glass of tea for my High Tea Party :D

We first went to this event on our last years Pride Cruise, and like others mentioned, there is so much going on around that ship that it slips your mind to go and have some tea. It wasn't crowded at all, there were alot of seats available. After the Tea Party we did the Galley Tour.

Fred

On Lido or in dining room if they do not have the tea you like ask them just to get you some. They do not leave our much of the green or Earl Gray, if any at all. So just ask as the do have a stash both places. Daughter had to ask EVERY time she wanted some.

yes, in the Lido there are many things you can get if you know to ask. flavored teas, milk if none is set out, brown sugar, You may have to explain the "raw" sugar in the brown packets isn't brown sugar:). If you don't see something you want it never hurts to ask one of the many workers.

I am off topic here- but I have to laugh, I must spend too much time reading message boards...when I saw TEA in all CAPS in the subject line, I was trying to figure out what T E A stood for in message board speak. It didn't even occur to me that it could be about tea that you drink.:eek:

Mary, Don't feel bad... I've done the same before. I even had to look up IMHO on google last night when talking with Jedi. In case you did not know that one, it's 'in my honest (or humble) opinion'. :D

Archived