typhoon and ship on news this morning?

tetons

I am taking my first cruise in June..........when is typhoon, cyclone and hurricane season??!?!?!!!!?? Don't they usually know where these storms are and if they are in the path?!

I have the feeling no one was hanging around on the decks or balconies that day, they were all in the infirmary choking down dramamine

Carly

February 14, 2005

A passenger ship, the Voyager enroute between Spain's Balearic Islands to the Italian island of Sardinia, radioed a distress call earlier today after getting into difficulties in heavy seas. A huge wave shattered a bridge window, damaging control systems inside.

The Bahamian-registered ship is carrying 776 passengers and crew, 480 of them Spanish. Some sustained minor injurues when the ship sailed into the storm at 8am UTC today.

French and Spanish tugs have been dispatched to assist the vessel, and the British gas tanker Gimi has diverted to offer help and is relaying radio signals from the stricken ship. Voyager "is in a difficult situation but is not drifting", according to the French coastguard, with only a single propeller still providing force.

The ship was sailing from Tunis to Barcelona when she encountered the storm. The crew have restored power to two of her four engines and she is now diverting to Tunis, and is expected to reach port on Tuesday.

Courtesy of: Wiki News

This ship lost it's engines, no forward movement. The seas were high, but not extreme. Since they could not control the direction of the ship, the film clip shows it caught rocking inbetween waves, rather than going through them bow first.

Thank you for posting so quickly. Would have been a rough ride. Looks like a smaller ship. I'm sure glad I wasn't on that one.

I have seen video of the passengers inside who were sliding around as they sat on what looked like a dance floor. They all looked younger and were all wearing lifejackets.:eek:

They ran this story on Weather Channel Monday 3/26/07 night on their Storm Stories series. They had the same video as is posted on the links listed in previous posts. They had video from inside the ship too. It was a 'Semester at Sea' for college students. That was also the name of the Storm Stories episode. I only got to see about 10 minutes of it so I hope they re-run it. Talk about scarry! And I thought it was rough our last cruise!

Archived