Were You Ever SCARED on a cruise?

Arizona Laura

I was afraid I wouldn't have any clothing that fit for the trip home! :eek:

To remedy this I tried to exercise every night in the cabin with the DW. Then I was scared that the people in the next cabin would hear us! :D

Both worries were unwarrented. LOL

Fins Up! :cool:

The DW refuses to cruise the Carabiean during Hurricane season for this reason. To many horror stories and sick calls. We have been on one that hit a cold front returning to New Orleans. Not that bad as far as rocking but there was ice on all the upper decks the last day at sea.

I have co-worker who have made a summer trip only to be redirected to another port or nowhere at all. Only one did they have to duct tape the drawers shut.

What is strange is when you have a strong cross wind and the ship is leaning to one side all day long.

black water is very spooky to me too.

Black water scares me as well.

In 2004 when I was with my Mom on the Victory, we ran into a big storm inbetween Grand Cayman and Jamacia (sp). It was rainning really hard, was incedibly windy and the waves were so big, they were coming over the top of the ship. :eek: They wouldn't let anyone out on to any of the open decks. The Victory was pitching and rolling really bad all at the same time, it was impossible to walk in a straght line without holding onto the walls (the disco was fun that night though, as was dinner - our plates slid around the table). The storm lasted pretty much all night but was gone in the morning when we got to port. In 7 almost 8 cruises, that's the only time I've been scared on a ship.

Only been on 5 cruises so far and haven't had seas rough enough to be scared as yet.

:eek: FLYING...well that's another story. Have had a couple flights that had me a bit green. I'd rather be scared on a ship than a plane (I think)

Every time I've cruised. When they slip that final account of billing under my door on the last night. :eek: :D

How true!

I've only been scared once.When we were on the Victory, DH and I were in the cabin getting ready for dinner. Our 3 kids were in CC and we knew that they were up on the Lido deck eating pizza. I hear this strange noise so I go out on the balcony and there is a Coast Guard helicopter with a spotlight on shining it in the water all around the ship! My first thought is, OMG, one of the kids has gone overboard!!!! We called them on the walkie-talkie and asked them what they were doing. They replied, "We're watching this really cool helicopter, what are you doing?" :rolleyes:

On that same cruise, DD had gone back to the cabin one afternoon to get something she had left in the cabin. She decided to go out on the balcony and write the word "HI" in the salt on the outside of the balcony glass wall. She hears this loud booming voice that says, "DO NOT LEAN OVER THE BALCONY RAIL! GO BACK INSIDE YOUR CABIN!" :eek: Scared her that she would not go out on the balcony without me or DH. DD did not tell me about this escapade until recently. :cool:

I was scared once when I tried to smuggle off the water and soda I had smuggled onboard during embarkation, plus The cabin Steward I shoved in my suitcase kept hollering and his leg kept poking out...

You should have seen the funny looks I got from customs.;)

On my last cruise my friend Donna was telling me that once she was cruising with her family. They were out on the deck and the ship hit something, rocked violently, power flickered, and the water around one side of the boat went red. She said someone told her later that they hit a whale! I totally beleive her.

On my last cruise my friend Donna was telling me that once she was cruising with her family. They were out on the deck and the ship hit something, rocked violently, power flickered, and the water around one side of the boat went red. She said someone told her later that they hit a whale! I totally beleive her.

That's the saddest story ever!! I hope it wasn't a mommy or her baby! :(

Yes, when on the Celebration last month we hit a major thunder storm in the middle of the night. I woke up to my husband saying, "holy $hi!.......this ship is listing to one side. " Then came the crashing of all the glassware off the counters and the bed slid into the wall. I met people who said they would never cruise again after that. Trevor Block, the CD, says it happens about once every 7 years or so. I dunno. Went back to sleep.

On that same cruise, DD had gone back to the cabin one afternoon to get something she had left in the cabin. She decided to go out on the balcony and write the word "HI" in the salt on the outside of the balcony glass wall. She hears this loud booming voice that says, "DO NOT LEAN OVER THE BALCONY RAIL! GO BACK INSIDE YOUR CABIN!" :eek: Scared her that she would not go out on the balcony without me or DH. DD did not tell me about this escapade until recently. :cool:

So...who was it that said that?

We were on RCCL Sovereign (sp) in 10/05. The first night was horrible. It didn't really scare me but I think there were plenty of people hugging the porcelain (or is that plastic on a ship) god that night. You couldn't even walk down the hallway without holding onto the wall or you would just fall into the person walking beside of you. My aunt had the perfect solution - have another fruity drink and after a while you will not notice. We found my MIL in the room, door open, face down on the bed with the pillow over her head.

Christmas 05 on the Sovereign of the Seas. We were scheduled to be on Coco Cay (pvt island) on Christmas day. We were on the first tender over. I love pvt island stops. It was really grey, but what they hey, it wasn't snowing. Pretty soon it started raining. Then it rained really hard. We were all trying to get on a tender to get back to the ship.

On the tender the rain was blowing in through the side and it was rocking really bad. The scariest part was when we tried to tie up to the ship and get back on. The gangway would rise 8-10 feet into the air then slam back onto the deck. The poor Phillipino crew looked terrified while they tried to hold onto the gangway. We had to watch the waves and if there was a small dip where the gangway might go down you had to run like h*ll. I was really worried for any elderly folks. We were young enough to literally RUN!

I really ticked me off because the Captain could see Santas "sled" (that's'what he called it) on the radar, but couldn't see the big fricking storm coming in???????

It was Ecstasy being relocated from NOLA during Rita. There were no PAX aboard. Here is the link to more pics. Would have been a fun ride. ;)

Rita/Ecstasy Pics

How many crew do you think is on board when they move a ship like this without PAX?

I wonder what the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM needed to operate a ship going from one port to another would be? (And I don't mean Miami to Port Canaveral) :) You need people on the bridge, the engine rooms, etc, etc, etc...how many do you think? 100? 50? 300? 20?

My scare wasn't on the ship, but on the way to the airport afterwards. I left a piece of luggage in a taxi's trailer. You know those ones that hang around the ports and take you to the airport for a "discounted price." (The ones that are pocketing the money). Well my wonderful DH went back outside and waited to see another taxi from the same company. He flagged one down and got the guys phone number. When he caled him the driver stated that it would be an hour before he could come and give us the bag, my DH told him that if he wasn't to the airport in 15 mins that he would tell the guys supervisor that he was pocketing the money from his runs and have him fired. The guy was there in 10 mins flat, and everything was ok with my bag! Needless to say I do constant bag counts everywhere we go now! :o

Archived