Were You Ever SCARED on a cruise?

Arizona Laura

Only been on 5 cruises so far and haven't had seas rough enough to be scared as yet.

:eek: FLYING...well that's another story. Have had a couple flights that had me a bit green. I'd rather be scared on a ship than a plane (I think)

Amen! If I go overboard or sink, I have a *chance* to swim or float and survive. I know darn good and well I can't fly and never will, so if my plane goes down, I'm a goner! :)

We need more details than this!!! What was the coastguard looking for? Who was yelling??? You left us hanging!!!!

An officer from the bridge was the one yelling at my DD. (The bridge extends out on both sides of the ship so they are able to see you on your balcony.)

As for the Coast Guard, we were off the coast of Cuba, we could see the lights in the distance, so we assumed that they were looking for refugees.

I was on a private tour once when the boat broke down for the third time! We were less then a mile from the dock and i could see the ship. We were already planing how we would swim to shore to make our tender if we had to. Luckily we had an extra hour, but we were on a tour with people from another ship who only had 30 mintues when we were floating there. Luckily they fixed it quickly, but we were worried for about 15 minutes. We were on the last tender back to the ship because we stopped to shop right next to the tender. I leave way more time to get back to the ship now when taking a private tour. The idea of missing my ship was scary!

Guest YesitDonna

I was scared once when they told me they didn't have any more Red Bull for my Jagerbombs! Turns out they only meant at the bar that I was at and they went and got more! PHEWWWWWWWWW close call!

Me and my kids were on our first cruise on the Sensation out of New Orleans returning the Sat before Hurricane Katrina. This was scary. Very rocky boat and extremely hard to walk. I had refused to pay attention to the Hurricane on TV during the cruise thinking it was no big deal. But on the last day, it made me pay attention. Especially since the Hurricane was headed directly to the Mississippi Gulf Coast which is where i live. I never really had the chance to take a few days once I got home and relive my cruise memories. I had to re-pack,shop and leave the same day I got home. Then once the Hurricane destroyed us and left, we had to rennovate, repair and clean for months. Anyway, the last day on the boat was indeed ULTIMATELY terrifying. But that hasn't stopped me. I'm set for cruise #4 in May of this year. I figure that anywhere, anytime, anything can happen. Cruising to me the safest way to travel.

Standing on the back of the ship at night, watching the water flow behind us, VERY SCARY. I don't like that at all.

Also, checking my sign and sail account after about the third day--knowing I was very social the night before and bought several rounds the night before--downright FRIGHTENING.

I was in the middle of hurricane Andrew off the coast of Florida in 1992, the sea was so rough that we could not maintain our normal operating depth of 500ft without being tossed about. The captain decided to take the boat a bit deeper and could still feel the hurricane overhead, But even still I wasn't scared. I guess I was to young to be afraid.

I was scared a little on the Celebration. We sailed at the same time Hurricane Rita was around. For the most part, the trip was uneventful,although we did not get to go to Key West. One of the days the boat was rocking pretty bad:eek: We could barely walk straight.

On the Imagination we ran into a pretty bad rain storm and the boat was terribly rocking as well. I was scared to look outside cause I thought I would see a big ass wave,so I just laid there for about 2 hours til it was over. Hopfully there will be no rocking on the Triumph!

My best friend's husband was on a Carnival ship and they had a fire. He was trapped in his room and to literally climb out. They kept telling him to stay in his room because he couldn't get out because of either fire/smoke. Some other people next door were banging on walls, etc.

He did not have a balcony and I'm not sure if he had to bust the glass or what - but he did have to climb out on sheets.

He ended up testifying at some investigation, etc. But, we've been on Carnival ships together since then so I guess it didn't scare him too bad. I think he was on spring break in college when it happened so it must have been 25 years ago.

I don't like the creaking I hear when I wake up in the middle of the night. The rocking just puts me to sleep - the creaking noises wake me up.

I was scared that my daughter was going to fall out of the top bunk one night but when I tried to move her she growled..so I left her there.

We sailed to Bermuda in 2003 on the Nordic Empress. While at dinner the ship started vibrating really bad. We asked the waitress what was wrong and she said something like "oh their just turning the ship". Well I bought that one for a few minutes and then said to my husband "why would they be turning the ship in the middle of the Atlantic?" Well I was really starting to freak out after about 15 minutes or so. We finished dinner. The kids left to go do their thing and hubby and I were having drinks. Then I realized the ship had stopped!! I really thought I was going to panic. But everyone else seemed calm and collected. Our kids came running back into the dining room and told us our ship was involved in a rescue effort. Turns out a racing yacht had capsized during a race and the two men on the yacht had been shooting flares while hanging on to the bottom of their boat. Some passengers had seen the flares, alerted the crew and our ship started turning in order to assist. We went out and watched as they lowered lifeboats and brought the yachts passengers on board. It was really scary at first and then after knowing what was going on it was a really cool thing to watch.

We were on RCCL Sovereign (sp) in 10/05. The first night was horrible. It didn't really scare me but I think there were plenty of people hugging the porcelain (or is that plastic on a ship) god that night. You couldn't even walk down the hallway without holding onto the wall or you would just fall into the person walking beside of you. My aunt had the perfect solution - have another fruity drink and after a while you will not notice. We found my MIL in the room, door open, face down on the bed with the pillow over her head.

Were you on the 10/10/05 sailing? We were on that one and the seas were indeed VERY rough the first night. My dh and I both were extremely seasick; he more than me. It was awful. We had to take double doses of dramamine and just try to go to sleep to get out of our misery. He woke me up around 11pm and begged me to go up on deck and try to find him some crackers. I made it up to the Lido, hugging rails and posts as I went. Some crew members tried to help me, thinking I was drunk!! I had to explain that I was just seasick.

This was our first cruise and it certainly didn't stop us from cruising, but taught me to be very prepared for motion sickness!!

Archived