Need some Cruise Critic Honest Advice

carol54

I'm a novice at this and am wondering, would trip insurance come into play here?

Since those who were cancelled would be getting full refunds, no, trip insurance would not come into play. I didn't read NCL's offer closely enough to see if they are covering non-refundable air or air changes, but if they are NOT, then that would be a place where trip insurance MIGHT come into play, if the passenger included air in the insurance. And I'm speaking here of OUTSIDE insurance, not any purchased through the cruise line (which would not come into play at ALL in this instance).

I think that they should give you a totally free cruise any time you want it even if it means bumping someone else out of the space you had reserved. Afterall they are a great big nasty corporation and what right did they have fixing their ship when you had a cruise booked. They could just as easily have done it during the day time when you were at some port somewhere. It just isn't fair that you should be inconveneinced because their ship had an engine problem. They should have simply run it until it wouln't go any further and if that happened in the middle of the ocean in the middle of a bad storm then that would be a shame but they could send out a tug to tow it into port.

I would suggest that you happily accept the 25% discount.If you read the contract they owe you nothing beyond a refund of fare paid and move on. Life is rarely fair but I would rather they try to repair the ship than keep it limping week after week after week.

But that is just my opnion.

Just curious, why the sarcasm? The OP nor anyone else is asking for a free cruise so I was curious why you responded this way.

Please explain to me why people who look for the least expensive cruise possible, then look to smuggle booze and soft beverages on board, complain about the price of everything, complain about the food and the service then when something goes wrong IE a canceled cruise, expect 100% first class white glove service?

There is something wrong with this picture. Basically you get what you pay for. Yes Celebrity will find you a new cruise and most likely so will HAL and Cunard but when you sail with the most mass of mass market lines do not expect first class problem solving. This part of the package is just like to rest of the package low cost designed for the mass market customer.

:confused: ???? Just curious again, do you even bother to read the threads before you post? It's awfully judgmental for you to assume anyone smuggles booze and soft drinks, complains about price, food and service etc. I didn't read any of those things on this thread and its presumptuous of you to think everyone on this board is the kind of person you depict. I don't even know what you read that gave you such an idea. Therefore it leaves me to repeat my question. Do you even bother to read the threads before you post?

As for the OP and the others, I feel for your cruise being canceled after all the planning and hope it works out.:)

Just curious, why the sarcasm? The OP nor anyone else is asking for a free cruise so I was curious why you responded this way.

:confused: ???? Just curious again, do you even bother to read the threads before you post? It's awfully judgmental for you to assume anyone smuggles booze and soft drinks, complains about price, food and service etc. I didn't read any of those things on this thread and its presumptuous of you to think everyone on this board is the kind of person you depict. I don't even know what you read that gave you such an idea. Therefore it leaves me to repeat my question. Do you even bother to read the threads before you post?

As for the OP and the others, I feel for your cruise being canceled after all the planning and hope it works out.:)

You have got to be kidding right? There is not a week that goes by that someone is not trying to fugure out how to get booze by the security people and before the thread has run its course there are numerous others posting with their suggestions. And the same goes for complaining about just about everything this line does. The only thing the vast majority seem to like are the very low prices (which seem to be vanishing) and the right to dress like they just came in from mowing the lawn.

And the cancelling of the two Dawn cruises curretly has at least four or five threads working. One would think the ship had sunk and a thousand lives had been lost for the amount of energy expended on this whine.

Get over it. Everyone got a full refund and a 25% credit towards a different cruise. That is 25% more than your contract calls for. If you want better service sail on a first class line not on a mass market line geared towards to lowest possible price to get the maximum number of people on each ship.

Please explain to me why people who look for the least expensive cruise possible, then look to smuggle booze and soft beverages on board, complain about the price of everything, complain about the food and the service then when something goes wrong IE a canceled cruise, expect 100% first class white glove service?

There is something wrong with this picture. Basically you get what you pay for. Yes Celebrity will find you a new cruise and most likely so will HAL and Cunard but when you sail with the most mass of mass market lines do not expect first class problem solving. This part of the package is just like to rest of the package low cost designed for the mass market customer.

There's nothing posted that would have deserved either one of your posts. I'm not quite sure why replied the way you did unless it was to upset the original poster. Most customer service oriented businesses will bend over backwards to make the customer satisfied, especially in a situation like this. Maybe you've recieved poor customer service in the past and felt a need to vent. I find that if I treat people with respect, I usually get it in return.

I hope the OP is able to rebook her cruise to her satisfaction. It sounds as if you've taken a positive attitude towards the situation.

Just add him to your ignore list - I have - Just drops in from time to time to stir the pot. No reason to feed him.

Shoreguy ~ I have been on these boards a lot - mostly lurking - over the past months but have always enjoyed and learned from your posts. Thank you. And I appreciate your kindness.

Would you consider booking at another time? July(summer) is a HIGH price time. Usually the first/second week in June may be cheaper, or try towards the end of September.

Sorry your cruise was cancelled.

As someone else said I booked the garden villa for the experience of the garden villa with my family. The June 2 Dawn cruise was also cancelled and there are no garden villas available in June. Rosie has July 7-14. The first time a garden villa was available was July 21. Even if I booked in August there is till no way I can justify giving that much additional money to NCL.

I'll be talking with the cruise consultant again on Monday since she told me she would try again by talking with her manager. Then I will try customer relations and media relations as another poster suggested. But at some point, if I can't work it out, then I will move on and my life will not change a bit. I still have the things that matter most to me in my life - a wonderful family and a good life.

But I will let you know how it all turns out.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support and kindness that many of you have shown me.

I wish you all the best.

Shoreguy ~ I have been on these boards a lot - mostly lurking - over the past months but have always enjoyed and learned from your posts. Thank you. And I appreciate your kindness.

Thanks if you need help with this mess email me. My address is in my signature below.

Thanks if you need help with this mess email me. My address is in my signature below.

A very thoughtful offer and don't be surprised if I take you up on it.

I see you are from Chester, NJ. I'm a Denville, NJ resident myself. I actually have co-workers that have sailed with you in the past and have told me they very much enjoyed your company.

You have got to be kidding right? There is not a week that goes by that someone is not trying to fugure out how to get booze by the security people and before the thread has run its course there are numerous others posting with their suggestions.

That may be true but this wasn't one of those threads. You would have known that had you bothered to read the posts.

And the cancelling of the two Dawn cruises curretly has at least four or five threads working. One would think the ship had sunk and a thousand lives had been lost for the amount of energy expended on this whine.

Posts that you can skip over if you have nothing constructive to offer and merely want to post for the purpose of being rude. Seems you're the one expending the energy to 'whine' while others are trying to get useful information to help in the situation they've found themselves in. Something you would have known, again, had you read the posts instead of just coming in to be rude.

Carol54, I wish you luck and let us know how it turns out. It seems Monday may be the magic day as I've read others comment on it. I think they have to settle and get through the initial fog of all the canceled passengers and then possibly give more attention. Again, hope it all works out.:)

But at some point, if I can't work it out, then I will move on and my life will not change a bit. I still have the things that matter most to me in my life - a wonderful family and a good life.
Before I read this I was thinking about how important these cruises are in the grand scheme of life and thinking about how we get so upset about things. Four days ago I canceled an 8 day trip to Hawaii. It was my mother's 60th birthday present from my sister and me. We were leaving on Mother's Day. My grandfather is in the last stages of lung cancer and isn't expected to live another month. We've hastily scheduled a trip to see him next weekend for Easter and I'm counting the minutes hoping to get there before something happens. You have the right attitude. This situation will be resolved (hopefully to your satisfaction) and then you'll move on to enjoying the life you have. Good luck.

That may be true but this wasn't one of those threads. You would have known that had you bothered to read the posts.

Posts that you can skip over if you have nothing constructive to offer and merely want to post for the purpose of being rude. Seems you're the one expending the energy to 'whine' while others are trying to get useful information to help in the situation they've found themselves in. Something you would have known, again, had you read the posts instead of just coming in to be rude.

Carol54, I wish you luck and let us know how it turns out. It seems Monday may be the magic day as I've read others comment on it. I think they have to settle and get through the initial fog of all the canceled passengers and then possibly give more attention. Again, hope it all works out.:)

Well said!!!! Songanddance is just trying to get people to join in a verbal battle with him. The problem is he appears to be unarmed.

Carol54 - I truly hope all turns out well.

Well said!!!! Songanddance is just trying to get people to join in a verbal battle with him. The problem is he appears to be unarmed.

Carol54 - I truly hope all turns out well.

Well said!!! People like songanddance just like to get folks riled up. Not worth the time replying to or thinking about him. I totally understand your point of view Carol54. It is a shame your cruise was canceled. Hope you get some satisfaction on Monday.

A very thoughtful offer and don't be surprised if I take you up on it.

I see you are from Chester, NJ. I'm a Denville, NJ resident myself. I actually have co-workers that have sailed with you in the past and have told me they very much enjoyed your company.

How are things in Denville these days. Saw my very first movie in the Denville Theatre over 60 years ago. Used to live in that small town right next door but moved out of NJ when it got too crazy tax wise. Sure do love NH where we pay no income nor sales tax.

The OP was booked in one of the Garden Villas. She would have no need to smuggle booze onboard as it will be provided to her at no extra charge.

Additionally, her cabin probably cost more for those 7 days then any cabin available on Celebrity, HAL and even Cunard's best Queen's grill suites.

I believe she should expect "100% first class white glove service" with NCL reservations, she will certainly experience once onboard.

The OP was booked in one of the Garden Villas. She would have no need to smuggle booze onboard as it will be provided to her at no extra charge.

Additionally, her cabin probably cost more for those 7 days then any cabin available on Celebrity, HAL and even Cunard's best Queen's grill suites.

I believe she should expect "100% first class white glove service" with NCL reservations, she will certainly experience once onboard.

That may be all true but when one is dealing with staff that are used to interacting with the troops so to speak vs the officers, they tend to forget that they actually have a couple of people on board that have paid way too much for the line. Which brings me to the question, other than the ease of a quick drive from Denville to NYC why would anyone want to toss that kind of coin around for a basic mass market cruise unless they are a celebrity that never intended to come out of their suite for the entire cruise. $34 K I believe is what the OP stated as was or would be her fare. Serious change for an NCL ship in my opinion.

There is something wrong with this picture. Basically you get what you pay for. .

WHOA....:eek:

Please do not generalize.

I always look for a good price on a cruise and this does not mean that I smuggle anything.

IF I get a great price on a cruise and the cruise line goes and cancels my cruise...only TWO months out, I would expect them to be more accomodating in rebooking me in order to keep my business.

This woman DID NOT get what she paid for, that is the whole point.

That may be all true but when one is dealing with staff that are used to interacting with the troops so to speak vs the officers, they tend to forget that they actually have a couple of people on board that have paid way too much for the line. Which brings me to the question, other than the ease of a quick drive from Denville to NYC why would anyone want to toss that kind of coin around for a basic mass market cruise unless they are a celebrity that never intended to come out of their suite for the entire cruise. $34 K I believe is what the OP stated as was or would be her fare. Serious change for an NCL ship in my opinion.

I don't know why I am bothering but here goes. Have you sailed in a Garden Villa? I have. I won't share with you what I paid but I feel I got my $'s worth and a lot more.

I have never sailed on Celebrity but have sailed on HAL and Cunard. I actually booked and then cancelled a cruise to Australia because of the service level I experienced onboard the Westerdam, Zuiderdam and Maasdam. In my eyes you do not get the level of service in HAL's deluxe veranda suites that you receive in NCL's AA cabins.

I only sailed in the Garden Villa once, we usually sail in NCL AA's, HAL does not provide the amenities or personal service I receive from NCL.

So with NCL I get the best of all worlds, Much improved menus in the main dining rooms, a great variety of specialty restaurants and Jean Ann Ryan entertainment all on a ship loaded with activities and fellow passengers that might stay up later then 10P.

You have got to be kidding right? There is not a week that goes by that someone is not trying to fugure out how to get booze by the security people and before the thread has run its course there are numerous others posting with their suggestions. And the same goes for complaining about just about everything this line does. The only thing the vast majority seem to like are the very low prices (which seem to be vanishing) and the right to dress like they just came in from mowing the lawn.

Get over it. Everyone got a full refund and a 25% credit towards a different cruise. That is 25% more than your contract calls for. If you want better service sail on a first class line not on a mass market line geared towards to lowest possible price to get the maximum number of people on each ship.

Do you work for NCL?? or any part of the Cruise industry?

I don't know why I am bothering but here goes. Have you sailed in a Garden Villa? I have. I won't share with you what I paid but I feel I got my $'s worth and a lot more.

I have never sailed on Celebrity but have sailed on HAL and Cunard. I actually booked and then cancelled a cruise to Australia because of the service level I experienced onboard the Westerdam, Zuiderdam and Maasdam. In my eyes you do not get the level of service in HAL's deluxe veranda suites that you receive in NCL's AA cabins.

I only sailed in the Garden Villa once, we usually sail in NCL AA's, HAL does not provide the amenities or personal service I receive from NCL.

So with NCL I get the best of all worlds, Much improved menus in the main dining rooms, a great variety of specialty restaurants and Jean Ann Ryan entertainment all on a ship loaded with activities and fellow passengers that might stay up later then 10P.

In my opinon and it is just my opinion, sailing in a garden villa and paying that kind of money on an NCL ship would be the equivilant of hooking a private railcar onto a new york subway train.

And to answer the next posters question. No I do not work for NCL, they do not pay enough for me to work for them and no I do not work for anyone in the cruise industry. However, I do understand service and economics and NCL has a business model that offers the lowest possible fares (just up from easy cruise and that 100 year old ship to the Bahamas) and to do this and stay in business (read make a profit) they must cut a lot of quality corners. One of them is there land based customer service division. Remember, they deal with 99% of their business on the very mass of mass market level. Then there is the Garden Villa type who should get white glove service but since that would cost a lot on money for just a few passengers it is not done. As long as they have little trouble selling these villas they won't bother and if they run into trouble selling them given where the rest of their market is I would not be surprised if during a dry dock refubishment time out they pulled them and put in several smaller canbs that they would have no trouble marking without the white gloved servive this 1% of NCL's market demands.

Archived