**Has anyone felt that Acapulco is UNsafe recently?**

GoodAsGold

We visited Acapulco on the Mercury a year ago --- and for the second time since our honeymoon in '75. We had a taxi take us to the Condessa for a day on the beach where we stayed on our first visit. The only difference we noticed was that we were now the only US folks on the beach. We rented beach chairs and umbrellas for $5 and had a great day.

We hired a guide with van at the pier for $20 for all day (we did, of course, tip him more). He took us to a lot of the high spots of Acapulco. It was the "Day of the Dead" four day weekend so it took us almost an hour to get from the ship to Las Brisas, which I wanted to show my wife. I stayed there many times but she'd never seen it. He took us to lookout points. La Quebrada and the cliff divers. Although he was not the greatest tour guide he got us where we wanted to go. He left us off downtown at Sanborn's and we explored and walked back to the ship.

We disembarked late and I think that's why it was so inexpensive. We didn't actually want a tour just a taxi to Las Brisas but he was so cheap we went with him and were glad we did.

So...get off at the end of the debarkation and you may get a bargain tour.

Since my SIL will have her mother and her friend along, (in their 70s), I wonder if those two plan to get off. The friend sometimes needs a wheelchair because she has a pacemaker and other heart issues. I think she was hoping that my BIL or SIL would help push the wheelchair so it looks like they could be staying on the ship. We'll see!

We've been to Acapulco a couple times for extended stays and

although it was way back in the 80's, I never felt unsafe, but

as with all big cities it's best to exercise the caution you would

in any big city.

In response to Captain Ron: Yes, Mexico and her people are lovely,

which is why we all keep going back there, but when you hear

of beheadings taking place, and shootouts in broad daylight at two police stations killing 7 to 10 police, that gives us reason to pause. You can't say we have a lot of beheadings in the U.S.

That being said, I will still get off the ship in Acapulco although

my parents have informed me they will NOT be getting off.

It's all about Personal Choice:)

I have been to Mexico many times—both land based and cruising—and enjoyed it every time. I am always concerned about my safety when I travel, whether in the U.S. or abroad. In my opinion the concerns about safety are based on a lack of understanding of another country’s culture. Since I am an American I am astute about reading the areas I am in when visiting an American city. I have no qualms about visiting L.A. or New York, although there may be areas that would put my safety in jeopardy. The difference is that I can asses those areas and leave or avoid areas I do not feel safe in. The crime rate in L.A. may be higher or lower than Acapulco—I have no idea—but I do feel more confident in my ability to read the situation in L.A.

I am not at all as sure about my surroundings in Mexico—or any foreign country. I am not sure if the person on the street who I view as aggressive is intending to do me harm or is just trying to sell me something. Since I do not know where I am going, I do not know when I am getting lost.

Travel has inherent risks—just as driving to work does. We all try to minimize those risks as best we can.

FarmerJohn has an excellant point, when you are not familar with a city, the areas, or the language you are at a disadvantage for getting around as safely as possible and reading signals around you.

Those of you who have gone to a resort hotel in a resort city do not see all the sides of a city.

Acapulco IS less safe then Vancouver look up the violent crime stats. It is not small minded to acknowledge certain facts. Mexico has a large population of people who must live below what we consider poverty level, undfortunately this can breed crime. This is not me saying all poor people are crooks ,, just stating that poverty can breed desperation and that is the same anywhere. Desperate people can and will do stupid things.

I would get off the ship, but I would do a ships tour. I do not as a rule ever advocate this as I think ship shore exes are a rip off, but in this case I would make an exception. In Cabo and Puerto Vallarta we just got off and took cabs, and we were travelling with our baby and toddler,,but Acapulco is not in the same bracket.

stanford's girl - We did about an 8 hour tour - all over the place. Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to the names of the places, but she took us to an old, run down hotel that overlooks the bay - the view was spectacular. Then we went to the other side of the bay to the church that has the big cross on it - a lovely drive and again, nice views of the bay. We stopped at Senior Frog's for a drink and a snack and then went back into town for some shopping. We finished up with the cliff divers after dark. The divers come down the walk with torches and the cliff is lighted with flood lights. I really enjoyed the divers at night. The whole day was very inexpensive - $35 pp. We had 8 people and she will customize the day as per your request.

I found Acapulco to have by far the most aggresive taxi drivers, and the only time I felt unsafe was when a couple of them stood behind me while I used the payphone, hoping that i would need one when I was done. I felt my personal space was invaded at that time, and would have felt that way anywhere. I counted 18 drivers I told "No thank you" to when asked from the pier to the parking lot (about 30 seconds of walking). I even had one offer to let me drive if I wanted to. (scary!)

We were just there last week and must have met the same driver!

Acapulco, of all the cruise ports in Mexico, is most like a border town (think Tijuana or Juarez), has little to offer and could easily be skipped. Save your money for cabo, Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan where the people are much friendlier...

Way to go Captainron. I agree with you, we love the Mexicans:D

We've been to Acapulco 3 times in the last 2 yrs on cruises. NEVER,NEVER, have we felt threatened. We've always found the people to be very friendly. Yes, when you leave the port there are lots and lots of people wanting your business but if you politely say no with a smile and walk on they won't bother you.

On our cruise last may on the coral Princess, we walked to the market and had a very nice gentleman take us there. I thought as I was walking "oh, oh" he's going to want a tip. I was very wrong, he couldn't have been nicer. He took us to his family stall at the market and said that if we didn't want to buy anything that was ok. He just wanted to make us feel safe. The market was very clean and the people weren't pushy at all.

We did buy a few things from the market and then got a taxi back to the ship. I headed out on my own and wandered around the downtown area and had a great time. Went into the Cathedral and managed to see "4" mexican weddings going on at the same time.

I think if you treat the people with the same respect that you would treat other people than you should have a great time.

Both my DH and I prefer Mexico to most other places we have cruised to or have visited.

for you!! get your racist comments outta here!

..........your post is outrageous......and not appreciated......:mad:

.......throwing the racist card out.....proves you are a real dim bulb.....;)

Quote KPalmer7:

On our cruise last may on the coral Princess, we walked to the market and had a very nice gentleman take us there. I thought as I was walking "oh, oh" he's going to want a tip. I was very wrong, he couldn't have been nicer. He took us to his family stall at the market and said that if we didn't want to buy anything that was ok. He just wanted to make us feel safe. The market was very clean and the people weren't pushy at all.

We did buy a few things from the market and then got a taxi back to the ship.

So he took you to his FAMILY'S stall and you bought stuff, great, what if you hadn't. ??

That would have been the TRUE measure of his "friendlyness" ..

We have been in Acapulco several times over the years, and don't have any fear about going on our own to the cliff divers, fort, etc. And when we were there last December, it looks like there is a bridge over the main street to the fort, so we'll take that next time. If someone is worried about any place or needs to use a wheelchair, etc., I would recommend a ship's tour. It's been years since we've taken any, as we would prefer to walk around on our own or take a local taxi. So far, so good. Nancy

I've read in the last couple of days, that they are taking precautions to stop the Dengue Fever epidemic that is spreading throughout South America. Acapulco was one of the places mentioned where preventative steps were being taken (Cancun was another).

If I was booked to go here, I'd make sure I had insect repellant with me.

Quote KPalmer7:

We did buy a few things from the market and then got a taxi back to the ship.

So he took you to his FAMILY'S stall and you bought stuff, great, what if you hadn't. ??

That would have been the TRUE measure of his "friendlyness" ..

Actually we didn't buy anything from his stalls. He just smiles and said goodbye. We walked around and bought from a different area totally.!!

Here's my two cents. Acapulco is a very large, very third world city. You must remember that. There is some very aggressive panhandling all over the city. The traffic is nothing short of chaotic, and there are children under ten begging on the streets. That being said, my family and I ventured out independently and found it to be a very interesting city. The fort has a very nice museum, the Zolcalo and municipal markets were interesting, and the beaches very pretty, even though they were quite dirty. I reccommend having dinner at the El Mirador hotel to watch the cliff divers. Reservations can be made over the internet. As I said, I was glad to go to Acapulco, but I doubt I'll ever go back. Out of six ports, it was my least favorite stop in Mexico.

Few of us look at these issues similarly, so I don’t know what kind (or degree) of reassurance can be provided. I think I know Acapulco and that part of Mexico very well; I’ve regularly traveled there for more than 25-years now. Given what I know about the area, it’s history and recent (last two years) events – I think much of what you’ve been reading is not presented in proper context, and that though you should pay close attention to the safety/security issues in all ports you’re visiting – there are no special precautions/concerns needed for a visit to Acapulco.

Last tourist season – early 2006 – was a particularly troublesome one for Acapulco because there were several instances where presumably corrupt policemen were beheaded, were there were several murders in the tourist zone of presumably corrupt businessmen/police officials and when the well-publicized “gunfight in the OK Corral” took place (away from the most heavily touristed zones). Thus far – in 2007 – the violence of 2006 has not been repeated – but various media reports are re-hashing the events of 2006 and the impression is out there that the violence is recent.

Acapulco isn’t the only part of Mexico experiencing violence which is directly tied to the consumption of illegal drugs in the USA. The port of Zihuatanejo has seen more serious/frequent violence than what’s happened in Acapulco, and Zihua is much smaller (thus a greater impact) – but that violence has not been widely-reported. Most of the “problem” is being experienced inland, though . . . not in ports where ships call. Cancun is another place where violence is occurring.

So, yes – I think your friends/family is overreacting if they’re warning you to stay away.

There’s an often repeated mantra that people should stick to “official” or “certified” tour guides/trips/excursions – and we could discuss the pros and cons of moving about that way, until the cows come home. To each his/her own style/preference of enjoyment. I will offer the opinion, however, that many people enjoy a more independent style and that, as far as Acapulco is concerned, I don’t think one need be scared to venture away from the “official” activities . . . if you use the services of the many reputable drivers/guides the names of whom have been provided in earlier discussions on this particular forum. I don’t support the belief that your safety/security is at any greater risk by using the “unofficial” services offered.

You should be aware, as has been mentioned by others, that there’s an increased military/police presence in Acapulco – provided by the President of Mexico to reassure tourists (primarily to reassure Mexican tourists, who make up the overwhelming majority of visitors to Acapulco). These special police measures are not limited to Acapulco, but also being installed in other parts of the country. Thus far, the measures are proving successful.

Enjoy the trip!

I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if I am being repetetive - however... I just want to say that if you miss ACA you really are missing a lot. My dh had decided that we would just 'stay on the ship'however we convinced him otherwise and it turned out to be one of our most interesting stops and we never for one moment felt unsafe. When you disembark there are official tourist drivers available to hire and we did so ... $60 for all 5 of us for 2 hours - a lovely gentleman took us to the cliff divers and several other highlights of ACA in that time and to a market - I am the nervous type and as I said "I never for one moment felt unsafe" Jayna K

Archived