Newbie to Europe: What to wear in June?

Hi everyone,

I am going onto my first cruise and it is to the Med. I don't know what type of clothes to wear at the ports. Can you please help me pack??

I will be in the Med for late May (Barcelona, Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples, Messina, Greece, and Turkey) and than a post cruise at London and Paris (early June). What types of clothes should I bring? Is it warm enough to wear sleeveless and shorts? What about London and Paris? Will a blazer be warm enough for the nights? Thanks.

Hi everyone,

I am going onto my first cruise and it is to the Med. I don't know what type of clothes to wear at the ports. Can you please help me pack??

I will be in the Med for late May (Barcelona, Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples, Messina, Greece, and Turkey) and than a post cruise at London and Paris (early June). What types of clothes should I bring? Is it warm enough to wear sleeveless and shorts? What about London and Paris? Will a blazer be warm enough for the nights? Thanks.

Wow! What a exciting trip! I'm only familiar with Florence, Rome, Naples and Paris, have not visited the others. Florence and Rome I would suggest dress slacks and a short sleeved shirt for men and dress slacks, capris or a casual skirt for women. No shorts or sleeveless if you plan to visit any churches and some museums frown upon this too. All should be warm in June. I lived north near Venice for four years and any where in Italy the locals dress up just to window shop! I wore capris and a nice shirt to Paris in July and felt very comfortable. Although, it was quite warm. Anywhere you go, wear comfortable shoes! I visited Rome in April, wore a nice pant suit, and dress boots that I thought were comfortable, but my feet ached! Lots of walking! Watch for pick pockets in Naples and Rome! Have fun!

I personally would never wear shorts for touring in Europe. At beach resorts, yes, and on the ship, yes, but that is all.

I pack below the knee skirts or linen blend slacks for daytime and wear either cap sleeve tops or very lightweight twin sets. These are appropriate for all churches and religious sites and also look nice.

For shoes, sandals that are comfortable as well as fashionable are my choice.

Thanks caviargal and amanda. Yes, it is an excited trip!! I can't wait....

I am not planning to bring shorts.... that word should be short sleeves and not shorts.....I hate wearing shorts myself...

I guess I can bring my summer gear for med and maybe bring one blazer for London? I am afraid that it might get cold during the evenings for London and Paris....For the churches, I am planning to buy along a light jacket to cover my shoulders.

Is that alright?? or do I need a sweater.... I get cold easily....

Thanks caviargal and amanda. Yes, it is an excited trip!! I can't wait....

I am not planning to bring shorts.... that word should be short sleeves and not shorts.....I hate wearing shorts myself...

I guess I can bring my summer gear for med and maybe bring one blazer for London? I am afraid that it might get cold during the evenings for London and Paris....For the churches, I am planning to buy along a light jacket to cover my shoulders.

Is that alright?? or do I need a sweater.... I get cold easily....

I am not a blazer gal myself. I prefer the look and packability of twin sets. For London, I would check the temps for that time of year and wear a lightweight trench on the plane (3 trips to London and rain every single time). Layering is my all purpose answer to travel challenges.:)

Have a wonderful trip!

Congratulations on your upcoming trip, it sounds wonderful! :)

The only places on your itinerary where I've spent more than a few weeks are southern Italy (a year and a half) and Paris (several months). I run pretty hot-blooded, but by June I was often too hot for my comfort, so considering that you're a cold-blooded type, you should be very comfortable in short sleeves!

As for Paris evenings, it's hard for me to imagine needing more than a light jacket, blazer, twin set etc. I don't think I ever even needed long sleeves (but again, that's hot-blooded me -- heaven help me when menopause hits!! :o). I've never been to London in the summer, so I can't help you there. But I'll second caviargal's advice: it's all about the layering!!

For London you could need a light jacket though more likely a rain coat.

For June in Paris, just your blouse would be fine. A light cotton cardigan if you tend to be cold. Remember that Paris - as well as most parts of Europe - have little or no air conditioning, so you won't be walking into a freezing cold restaurant!

I tend to wear a tank top and a long sleeved thin cotton/linen blouse over it, worn open to keep the sun off my arms. I burn bad!

I'm headed for Paris on Wednesday and the temp is 60 degree's and predicted to be like that - with lots of sunshine - all week!

I spent 21 days in Turkey one June, hotter than blazes! I sweltered the whole month, this was before the hotel we stay in had AC, now all the rooms have AC. Public rooms were all air conditioned, as were the malls and stores. Only the Bazaar's or little stores were not.

Just remember if you are going into any Mosques, especially in Turkey, you cannot wear shorts or short sleeves, so good idea to have something to cover up with.

I always wear skirts when I'm in Europe. I'm talking about below the knee, swirly type skirts, I take a black one and a white one that is what I have seen the last three times I have been to Europe. Sandles that are comfortable are great to wear with the skirts. I always keep some type of cover up in my bag for the churches such as a lightweight shawl.

Everyone has covered this so well...! Just was in Venice, Kusadasi, Istanbul, Santorini, Athens, in mid June. I was SO hot everywhere! Only needed a pashmina wrap on the ship for inside and even then, it wasn't that cold. I think one of those really light full length raincoats that can fold into a pouch might be just the ticket for Paris and London. They are stylish and you look dressed up no matter what is underneath:p .

Have a wonderful trip in our very favorite part of the world!!!!

Archived