Very Best use of 6 days with RV in Alaska?

Roxilla

Hi Budget Queen and everybody. I've been researching and reading these boards for weeks and am trying to narrow down the very best way to spend 6 days in a rented RV. We are sailing NB from Vancouver aboard Coral Princess then taking the train from Whittier to Anchorage to pick up our RV. We want to see the best scenery and wildlife. Are planning a few days for Denali area and are considering backtracking down to Seward. We are not interested in fishing or strenuous hiking as we are taking my parents along. The big questions are:

Is it worth it to backtrack and go down to Seward (what's best to do there)?

What would be a good driving itinerary for the 6 days? (have to return RV in Anchorage on 6th day and fly home at 3pm)

With your wildlife priority, absolutely get to Seward and take a Kenai Fjords boat trip. This is loaded with varied wildlife and a closer glacier look. If of interest, more is better here, with my preference the longest- Northwestern Fjord trips. You need at least 6 hours on the water. Plenty else too, request their visitor guide http://www.seward.com

Depending on your choice of direction, a suggestion- spend 2 nights at Denali Park, 1 near Talkeetna, 2 Seward. Last night perhaps Eagle River or other close Anchorage location.

With your wildlife priority, absolutely get to Seward and take a Kenai Fjords boat trip. This is loaded with varied wildlife and a closer glacier look. If of interest, more is better here, with my preference the longest- Northwestern Fjord trips. You need at least 6 hours on the water. Plenty else too, request their visitor guide www.seward.com

Depending on your choice of direction, a suggestion- spend 2 nights at Denali Park, 1 near Talkeetna, 2 Seward. Last night perhaps Eagle River or other close Anchorage location.

This sounds like a great plan. I believe that is exactly what we will do. I see that it will be well worth "back-tracking" to go down to Seward. I think we will also do Seavey's while there. I originally worried that we would not want to do the Kenai Fjords trip after the cruise since we might be tired of the water but I think that will not be the case. :D:cool:

I would like to hear about your trip after you come back as we are thinking of renting a RV next year.

I'll be glad to give you the "scoop". We are very excited about both the cruise portion and the independent touring afterwards.

Roxilla,

What company are you renting your RV from and how much did it cost for the 6 days, please?

I'm still debating whether I want to rent RV or rent a car and just book places to stay at as I travel through Alaska but don't want to spend alot of money at the places.

Thanks, CJ :) :)

Roxilla,

What company are you renting your RV from and how much did it cost for the 6 days, please?

I'm still debating whether I want to rent RV or rent a car and just book places to stay at as I travel through Alaska but don't want to spend alot of money at the places.

Don't expect any savings with a RV. It's iust another touring experience option compared to fixed lodging. :)

With lodging, You can find lower cost options using B&B's and getting smaller cars if you don't want a RV.

I respectfully disagree with BQ - I believe we will save money in our RV - food and lodging are expensive - and we will be sharing the RV with another couple which makes it half price. On our previous trip to Alaska, we had 4 days precruise and then a southbound cruise. We did so much driving we were very tired. This time, no cruise due to time and $, but we have 1 week in a rental car and 1 week in an RV. We are spending the majority of our time at Wrengle St. Elias NP and the Kenai Pen. We are going late May and I will report in when we return. CCers have been wonderfully helpful in all our planning for both the prior cruise and this land trip. Hopefully, I can give back a little. Laurie

We did this a few years ago and I think we did save money! Plus the "adventure" was worth every penny. No set schedule, no one to tell us when to eat, when to sleep, and who to talk to. Enjoy your time and don't worry about it. Make sure to take time to get out of the RV and meet people in Alaska. They will give you advice about where to go and see the "real" sights and sounds of Alaska. We would never have seen McCarthy if we had not done that. Have fun and make sure you let us know about your trip.

Barbara

I respectfully disagree with BQ - I believe we will save money in our RV - food and lodging are expensive - and we will be sharing the RV with another couple which makes it half price. On our previous trip to Alaska, we had 4 days precruise and then a southbound cruise. We did so much driving we were very tired. This time, no cruise due to time and $, but we have 1 week in a rental car and 1 week in an RV. We are spending the majority of our time at Wrengle St. Elias NP and the Kenai Pen. We are going late May and I will report in when we return. CCers have been wonderfully helpful in all our planning for both the prior cruise and this land trip. Hopefully, I can give back a little. Laurie

I am not referring to 4 people splitting a RV in my comparism of costs. Overall, for 2 people, costs can be pretty close between the options. More definately can be a bargain. :) You are paying 3 times more for gas, camping fees, insurance etc. I'll also bet you will be eating out some meals. I can eat cheap too without a RV, head to grocery stores. :)

I'm not trying to argue, but I have seen some over estimations of savings with a RV. I also suggest you purchase all the waivers so to have no deductable, some are $1000 and it's just about a given, some damage.

If you have the option, it can be a savings to pay for the miles rather than get unlimited, especially if you are parking in areas for a few days each. Do a rough estimate of your miles- The MILEPOST is a necessity, and book according to that figure for the cheapest option.

Budget Queen,

Can you tell me about general cell phone service? Three couples in three RVs for 8 days. Going different directions early and planning to meet for last part of land trip before cruising south. Probably Denali area and Kenai, maybe up towards Tok. Will we be able to stay in touch with each other pretty well with our cells?

Thanks,

Budget Queen' date='

Can you tell me about general cell phone service? Three couples in three RVs for 8 days. Going different directions early and planning to meet for last part of land trip before cruising south. Probably Denali area and Kenai, maybe up towards Tok. Will we be able to stay in touch with each other pretty well with our cells?

Thanks,[/quote']

I've always had excellent service with Verizon, but there are dead spots in Alaska. Best is to get information from your carrier, including roaming and service. Never any problem at Denali Park, Seward or Homer.

Well since it's just my DH and me I guess we'll just get a rental car and try to find some decent but cheapy places to stay at but should I do by the miles or unlimted?

I think I've finally narrowed it down to 1/2 days in Anchorage, 2/3 days in Denali, 1/2 in Talkeetna(?) and 2 days in Seward and then get on ship for Southbound cruise.

Any suggestions on staying less at one place than another would be greatly appreciated.

Well since it's just my DH and me I guess we'll just get a rental car and try to find some decent but cheapy places to stay at but should I do by the miles or unlimted?

I think I've finally narrowed it down to 1/2 days in Anchorage, 2/3 days in Denali, 1/2 in Talkeetna(?) and 2 days in Seward and then get on ship for Southbound cruise.

Any suggestions on staying less at one place than another would be greatly appreciated.

This is excellent routing. All rental cars, that I know of are unlimited miles.

A suggestion for lower cost accomdations. Anchorage Teddy Bear House and Chicadee B&B, Talkeetna Roadhouse- I only consider the upstairs rooms, have also stayed at the Latitude- basic. Denali Park- Denali Park Hotel, very nice rooms with refridg. Seward Morning Calm B&B

My 2005 trip has no lodging cost over $100/night.

This is excellent routing. All rental cars, that I know of are unlimited miles.

A suggestion for lower cost accomdations. Anchorage Teddy Bear House and Chicadee B&B, Talkeetna Roadhouse- I only consider the upstairs rooms, have also stayed at the Latitude- basic. Denali Park- Denali Park Hotel, very nice rooms with refridg. Seward Morning Calm B&B

My 2005 trip has no lodging cost over $100/night.

Well now, I'll have to check out these places! Do they overlook any nice scenery at any of these places? Is the parking free? What about places to eat? How far from the things to do?

Oh I know so many questions again, but I do appreciate all your help Budget Queen!

I do plan on bringing an extra suitcase with some snacks, food in it which will be empty later for my souveneirs that I collect. I've started collecting shot/shooter glasses, postcards, sand, shells, currency, things like that so I'm not hauling or spending alot, but going to Alaska I might find something that requires a suitcase, which has happened on past vacations.

CJ :) :)

No "scenery" at any of them. :) Centrally located with food options nearby.

There is Walmart, Fred Meyer and Safeway, with endless snack purchases available, in Anchorage. Consider just buying them in Alaska rather than hauling a lot of extra weight.

Yes all free parking.

Budget Queen,

Are those stores hard to find in Anchorage for me to get food/snacks at?

Are there eaterys along the way to stop at?

I have checked the places out you suggested, not bad, they'd work for just me, but still thinking if DH wouldn't mind staying at them. Remember I can't ask his opinion b/c a surprise.

If I buy the Toursaver book later for 2008 for the $99.00 are there kinda cheap buy one get one places to stay in there? I'm just wondering if b/c they're bogos they don't just jack up the nightly rates?

When does the 2008 Toursaver come out?

I will be doing excursions to make up for what the price I paid for the toursaver also.

Again sorry for so many questions but you always seem to have the answer.

Thanks and have a wonderful Easter! CJ :) :)

Budget Queen,

Are those stores hard to find in Anchorage for me to get food/snacks at?

Are there eaterys along the way to stop at?

I have checked the places out you suggested, not bad, they'd work for just me, but still thinking if DH wouldn't mind staying at them. Remember I can't ask his opinion b/c a surprise.

If I buy the Toursaver book later for 2008 for the $99.00 are there kinda cheap buy one get one places to stay in there? I'm just wondering if b/c they're bogos they don't just jack up the nightly rates?

When does the 2008 Toursaver come out?

I will be doing excursions to make up for what the price I paid for the toursaver also.

Again sorry for so many questions but you always seem to have the answer.

Thanks and have a wonderful Easter! CJ :) :)

Happy Easter to you too. :)

There are Safeways everywhere in Anchorage. :) and on Seward Highway in Seward, Parks Highway in Wasilla has all three mentioned. Once you get your routing, then specific recommendations for dining would be available.

I have never seen any bargains for lodging in Toursaver. They do use rack rates. However, my preferences are low standards. :) Toursaver offers higher cost lodging where at 2 for 1 may be a savings. 2008 toursaver will come out in about 11-07

Roxilla,

We are avid RV'ers :) here on the mainland so we want to rent for the experience rather than the savings. I agree with Budget Queen that it may not be cheaper to rent an RV. We are renting the 32' motor home from Great Alaskan Holidays and it's a little over $1500. for a week. We chose the unlimited mileage option but may re-think that after we look at the actual mileage that we plan to drive.

For the 2 of us, an RV would definitely be more expensive than the rental car + hotels I booked. Our fullsize Enterprise rental car for 9 days is ~ $320 (with downtown pick-up and airport drop-off), and our lodging for 9 nights comes to $560. Our most expensive night is the Best Western Valdez at $125.10 + tax (AAA rate) - which would've been $139 + tax (total) with the Toursaver coupon if we were staying 2 nights. We are using Priority Club points for free stays at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward (2 nights) and in Anchorage (last night). We got the Extended Stay Deluxe in downtown Anchorage on Hotwire for $38.59 after a $10 rebate from the Entertainment book, 2 nights at the Kennicott Glacier Lodge for $159 (Toursaver), and 2 nights at a B&B in Homer for $115/night. The total for transportation (not including gas) and lodging for 9 nights is just under $900. (6-7 days would cost less.) We will spend more money eating out than if we had an RV, but if I have to cook - it isn't a vacation!

Thanks everyone,

It helps alot. NancyL sounds like you got some good deals, man that's so cheap for that many days. I just hope when I get done here I do just as good.

I'm still debating whether I want to stay 2 or 3 nights in Denali, 1 or 2 nights in Talkeetna, probably will do 2 night in Anchorage b/c can't really count the day we arrive at 8:30PM so hoping the one day in Anchorage will enough time to see/do things, that's where I'll get the rental car and head to Talkeetna and Denali. Still trying to figure out which one to go to first, Talkeetna or Denali.

Then back to Anchorage hand in car and take the train to Seward and get something there for 2 or 3 days before I get on the ship.

Okay, please help, AGAIN, I'm arriving on a Thursday night, (8:30 PM), staying until the following Friday (will get on ship in Seward), if it was you how many days would you stay at each place and in what order keeping in mind that Seward needs to be last because we need to get ship there?

So that would be 7 nights excluding the Thursday that we arrive in the evening in Anchorage. I'm thinking about getting the Toursaver for some BOGO deals. Which means if I use what they have in their for places to stay then I would diffently need to stay 2 nights at some of these places.

Also would it be better to visit Denali on the weekend or week days when it comes to price and people there?

Once I get this panned out of what days I'm staying where then I can figure some excursions.

Thanks again! Hey at least I've finally figured out the places I want to go to!

The rest of Alaska will have to be visited another time. Can't do it all at once!

HAPPY EASTER AND HAVE A WONDERFUL SPRING! CJ :) :)

Thanks everyone,

It helps alot. NancyL sounds like you got some good deals, man that's so cheap for that many days. I just hope when I get done here I do just as good.

I'm still debating whether I want to stay 2 or 3 nights in Denali, 1 or 2 nights in Talkeetna, probably will do 2 night in Anchorage b/c can't really count the day we arrive at 8:30PM so hoping the one day in Anchorage will enough time to see/do things, that's where I'll get the rental car and head to Talkeetna and Denali. Still trying to figure out which one to go to first, Talkeetna or Denali.

Then back to Anchorage hand in car and take the train to Seward and get something there for 2 or 3 days before I get on the ship.

Okay, please help, AGAIN, I'm arriving on a Thursday night, (8:30 PM), staying until the following Friday (will get on ship in Seward), if it was you how many days would you stay at each place and in what order keeping in mind that Seward needs to be last because we need to get ship there?

So that would be 7 nights excluding the Thursday that we arrive in the evening in Anchorage. I'm thinking about getting the Toursaver for some BOGO deals. Which means if I use what they have in their for places to stay then I would diffently need to stay 2 nights at some of these places.

Also would it be better to visit Denali on the weekend or week days when it comes to price and people there?

Once I get this panned out of what days I'm staying where then I can figure some excursions.

Thanks again! Hey at least I've finally figured out the places I want to go to!

The rest of Alaska will have to be visited another time. Can't do it all at once!

HAPPY EASTER AND HAVE A WONDERFUL SPRING! CJ :) :)

I wouldn't plan 2 nights in a location just because of a Toursaver coupon. In my example above - we would've paid only $13.90 + tax more for the 2nd night at the Best Western in Valdez with the Toursaver coupon - but we'll be there only one night. We will get the greatest value from the Toursaver book on some of our excursions, such as the 6-hour Kenai Fjords cruise in Seward. There are also 2-for-1 coupons for flightseeing out of Talkeetna, and you will save a GREAT deal with the Toursaver book there.

okay NancyL thanks on that imfo but pleaaaaaase give me some suggestions when it comes to how many days I should stay where and which ones to go to first? I know some of that would depend on what I'm doing at each place but a start somewhere would help!

Do you think I should go straight to Denali that Sat, Sun and maybe Monday from Anchorage or to Talkeetna first for a day or 2 and then onto Denali?

Yell I'm gonna do some of those excursions also that your thinking about doing!

Thanks again, CJ :) :)

okay NancyL thanks on that imfo but pleaaaaaase give me some suggestions when it comes to how many days I should stay where and which ones to go to first? I know some of that would depend on what I'm doing at each place but a start somewhere would help!

Do you think I should go straight to Denali that Sat, Sun and maybe Monday from Anchorage or to Talkeetna first for a day or 2 and then onto Denali?

Yell I'm gonna do some of those excursions also that your thinking about doing!

Thanks again, CJ :) :)

I can tell you what I think, but I haven't been to Alaska yet! Even though we'll have 9 days for our land trip, we're not going to Talkeetna or Denali. But for what it's worth (probably not a lot!) - I think whether you go to Denali first or Talkeetna depends on what you want to see along the way. I personally wouldn't plan to stay more than 1 night in Talkeetna - if I stayed there at all.

I kept a spiral notebook where I wrote down just about every conceivable itinerary for our land trip - and there were a LOT of them! I suggest you write down several possible itineraries - going to Talkeetna first and also going to Denali first. I was still making changes to our land itinerary this past December - so you have LOTS of time to tweak your plans.

Since this is a thread about RVing - you might want to start a new thread asking for itinerary suggestions.

**I wanted to add that I just pulled out that notebook now. Good thing I dated all my itinerary ideas, because I can see how my thinking evolved between last June and December 2006!

Archived