Celebrity Century West. Med. Cruise..Yes or No??

SuzieandChris

My fiancé and I are thinking about going on a Celebrity (Century) Cruise for our Honeymoon. We are looking a the 10 nights in the Western Mediterranean…we would love to get some feedback (both positive and negative) before putting down a deposit.

Thanks!

p.s….this would be our first cruise ever!!:o

I think this is a hefty investment for a first cruise. Not everyone is cut out for cruising, though for some it is the perfect vacation.

It depends on what you are looking for in a honeymoon. If you can afford a suite or balcony at least, then you will have a degree of privacy. Do you want to dine with others or have a table for two? No guarantees on a cruise as there would be on a land trip.

What time of year will you be travelling? I much prefer the Med a bit out of season when it is not so packed with tourists, the weather is nicer, etc.

Personally, I would prefer a land trip to Italy for a honeymoon over a Med cruise. Many of the ports are actually a haul from the cities associated with them: Livorno (for Florence), Civatavecchia (for Rome). I prefer to enjoy these places for what they offer when seen at a less frantic pace.

I have done both and much prefer land based vacations when visiting the Med. It truly is a matter of how you wish to spend this special time together.

we are signed up for this itin on Century for a 30 + anniv cruise in Sept --most of the port days will be very intense--

why not a trip to Paris or venice land based These are two cities thought to be romantic...but we have cruised with honeymooners who had a great time!

For a first cruise something closer & shorter might be a better choice...QM 2 has a very nice long weekend to Eleuthra Bahamas if it fits your schedule.

Also on M class the pods problem might be a factor! Whatever you decide have fun & CONGRATS!

My DW and I did this trip on our honeymoon in '95. It was a fantastic cruise and a great way to see the Med. We have since been back to Europe many times and have rented a car for 2-3 weeks at a time and driven around a particular country as well. Either way, you can't loose.

A couple of things to keep in mind. One of the reasons I love to cruise is that with a cruise, you unpack once! You get to your stateroom, unpack and enjoy yourself for the duration of the cruise. No worrys about getting lost, or have the hubby and or you getting upset over driving directions. Cruising is also a great way to "taste" different locations in one trip and then deciding which ones you'll want to go back to for a more leisurely trip.

All the previous post have valid pro's and con's concerning you decision, I can only tell you that we were very glad to have gone on this trip for our honeymoon. We had plenty of alone time as well as plenty of time to see the sites and meet intersting people.

Happy Honeymoon either way:D

(as you can see from below, we're going again, with our 10 year old this time!)

Thanks so much for your input! We are leaving out of Barcelona on Oct. 10 for ten days...I am concerned about activities on the boat, the atmosphere (young, old, family), crowds, etc...??

October is my favorite month in the Med and I will be in Italy for 2 weeks beginning on the 17th. It is harvest in Tuscany, which is stunningly beautiful!

You should have very few kids and families in October, a good thing IMO. Yes, the crowd will be older and better travelled than on a Caribbean cruise as the itinerary is longer and more exotic, thereby attracting a more seasoned cruiser. This is also a good thing, IMO.

Do not expect much nightlife on these Med cruises, as most are tired from long days in port.

Again, I think a land based trip would be far more romantic, especially in the Med. On a cruise, you will miss on the food, wine, atmosphere that are so elemental to enjoying the Med and be rushing around in each port of call. My favorite experiences in Europe are the hours before the streets become busy and also the early evenings sitting on a piazza enjoying a bottle of wine.

Hope you make the decision that is right for you.:)

We did the Med cruise in Oct 2005 and loved every minute. As others have said it is very port intensive and not a relaxing cruise due to the low number of sea days. That said, our group (met on Cruise Critic Roll call) was made up of folks of all ages and from difference geographic areas and backgrounds. There were 2 honeymoon couples (one stayed with the group for most things and the other did their own thing). We had a blast and the honeymooners said it was a fantastic honeymoon. Agree with others that it depends on what you like to do and the type of experience you dream of for your honeymoon. If you decide to do the cruise, do plan, if possible, to go a few days ahead and stay a few days after the cruise. Barcelona is a great city and a lot of fun! Most important - enjoy!

SuzieandChris,

Thanks so much for your input! We are leaving out of Barcelona on Oct. 10 for ten days...I am concerned about activities on the boat, the atmosphere (young, old, family), crowds, etc...??

Should be great! At that time of year, you may find a somewhat older crowd than in the summer or during the "spring break" season due to the fact that younger families tend to have children in school, but they will be warm and friendly and there probably will be enough other relative newlyweds and not yet marrieds so you'll have a good time. If not, well... ask the staff where they go to party ashore. You might find that you are partying with some of them.

The one thing to remember is that Celebrity is a "premium" cruise line, so it's a bit more refined than "mainstream" lines like Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Of course, it draws a more "upscale" crowd, too, so "formal" really does mean "formal" and more passengers will go overboard than will underdress on the "informal" and "casual" evenings. If you don't like to dress up for a nice evening on the town, another cruise line would be a better choice.

As to activities, Celebrity tends to offer a good variety of things to do aboard ship. There's always at least one lounge with decent live music for dancing in the evening, the shows are as good as on any other line, and there's also a piano lounge, a string ensemble, karioke several evenings, and a disco that cranks up fairly late and goes well into the wee hours. Celebrity also holds a few evening buffets that are quite spectacular. On days at sea, you'll find everything from cullinary demonstrations to wine tastings to pool games (weather permitting) and you can always take time to relax, either around the pool or out on the promenades. The ships also have great spas and fitness centers, for those who are into such things. Of course, on a European ininerary, you probably will be so exhausted from sightseeing that you will want to "crash" on the days at sea, but you won't be bored in any case.

Norm.

Archived