food after boarding (diabetic)

T-burg 19

Tons of food, The Lido deck grill will be open they have burgers fries hotdogs chicken breast etc, the 24 hr pizza, the buffet and frozen yogurt all open. I thik the sandwich shop it as well

Breakfast is available last day morning Lido deck buffet and I think the dining room, no room service after 3am

can anyone tell me if there is food available when you first board. It will be lunch time and my DH will need food. Also, is there breakfst on the morning the cruise is over?

the Captain is diabetic too, cruising often does not help much though :D ..........lol............he eats as if he ain't.......:D nuttin' that a handful of Metformin and Glyburide tablets can't fix.......LOL

Happy cruising everyone :)

Also, if you are a diabetic, you should always have a sugar supply with you (Sweet Tarts or Smarties). While going through the boarding process, security, etc., ou never know when a bottleneck or delay might occur. In addition, keep your glucometer with you and test often. The more you test, the less you will be surprised or in danger of going low.

If you have any questions, I'll help if I can.

Have a great time! :)

Also, if you are a diabetic, you should always have a sugar supply with you (Sweet Tarts or Smarties). While going through the boarding process, security, etc., ou never know when a bottleneck or delay might occur. In addition, keep your glucometer with you and test often. The more you test, the less you will be surprised or in danger of going low.

You pretty much just described every day in the life of someone with diabetes. ;) A person effectively managing their diabetes does this every day, not just on the days we are lucky enough to embark on a cruise. Wouldn't it be great though if we only had to manage our diabetes on embarkment days?...and I digress even more.

what are the SF options for beverages? Ice cream? Desserts? etc?

I'm hypoglycemic and need to watch my consumtion of sugary foods. Can control thru diet at home but worried about ship.

There is yogurt as well as icecream, but unsure if it's lowfat or low sugar?

When Carnival called my mom to check on her needs (sharps container, etc), they said there were sugar free desserts avail at all meals - so she was excited about that (though she may try a taste of the choc melting cake, she said that might be too good to NOT try :) )

can anyone tell me if there is food available when you first board. It will be lunch time and my DH will need food. Also, is there breakfst on the morning the cruise is over?

Tons of food available.

They have plenty of choices that allow you to eat appropriately. Carnival sells diet soda at the bar, with or without caffeine. I'm pretty sure that the iced tea is sugar free as well. One word of caution about the embarkation. Ours was delayed until 4:00 PM the last time we sailed. Lots of people were on line at 12:00 but due to a problem at sea the ship arrived late and boarding was delayed. Perhaps a cheese and crackers packaged snack or other type item should be available in case of need. Once on board you will find plenty of food. Happy sails! :)

Shortly after you get on board you could go to the buffett on the Lido Deck and help yourself. Be careful of sugar free desserts though, they use splendor and it's much worse for you than sugar. I'm a diabetic too, so I know about that.

I always keep something with me when boarding the ship in case I need to have something. If it takes too long to get to the presailing party I have something. Then when the announcement comes I go.

Shortly after you get on board you could go to the buffett on the Lido Deck and help yourself. Be careful of sugar free desserts though, they use splendor and it's much worse for you than sugar. I'm a diabetic too, so I know about that.

I always keep something with me when boarding the ship in case I need to have something. If it takes too long to get to the presailing party I have something. Then when the announcement comes I go.

Just curious -- why is Splenda worse for you than sugar?

Everyone's described the normal course of events, where there are no shortages of food and many choices. However, bad things happen, and you almost certainly want to have some appropriate food with you in case your departure is one of those unfortunate few where people are left milling around in the embarkation area for hours, and not allowed to leave or get on-board, as happened to some passengers a few months ago. More frequently, planes get delayed, diverted, or stuck on tarmacks unexpectedly for six hours.

Whether its baby formula, or special food for a celaic or diabetic, best to be prepared and bring enough with you. (I always have some energy bars that I don't like too much -- not good enough for me to go after unnecessarily, but very nice to have in a pinch.)

Have a great cruise.

Whether its baby formula, or special food for a celaic or diabetic, best to be prepared and bring enough with you. (I always have some energy bars that I don't like too much -- not good enough for me to go after unnecessarily, but very nice to have in a pinch.)

Very good advice! You never know what may happen and it's best to be prepared.

There is yogurt as well as icecream, but unsure if it's lowfat or low sugar?

When Carnival called my mom to check on her needs (sharps container, etc), they said there were sugar free desserts avail at all meals - so she was excited about that (though she may try a taste of the choc melting cake, she said that might be too good to NOT try :) )

I have never seen frozen yogurt on a Carnival cruise. The ice cream is softserve, not yogurt. You can get a sharps container from the purser's desk or medical area or bring your own, they not that expensive. There is always a sugar free dessert in the dining room and on the buffet. You can also get some exercise by walking the ship or visiting the exercise/gym room. I find my biggest problem is wanting to try everything and overeating. No fun feeling like a stuffed turkey on a cruise. Eat sparingly. They will not run out of food. :)

I have never seen frozen yogurt on a Carnival cruise. The ice cream is softserve, not yogurt. You can get a sharps container from the purser's desk or medical area or bring your own, they not that expensive. There is always a sugar free dessert in the dining room and on the buffet. You can also get some exercise by walking the ship or visiting the exercise/gym room. I find my biggest problem is wanting to try everything and overeating. No fun feeling like a stuffed turkey on a cruise. Eat sparingly. They will not run out of food. :)

I just got back from the Imagination on Thursday and I had frozen yogurt almost everyday of the cruise. It is located to the left of the ice cream machine on the lido deck. I do believe all of the ships have this same setup. Each machine has a sign on top telling you if it is ice cream or yogurt.:D

Just curious -- why is Splenda worse for you than sugar?

Im not a Dr. or diabetic but I do have a syndrome that also includes insulin resistance. Im not sure if splenda is worse but it does trick your body into thinking it has sugar and it can make your sugar level rise. This is what my doc told me two weeks ago in refrence to why HE says I cant drink diet coke, coke zero, or crystal light mix-ins anymore. I still do but he claims its bad. Stevia is a sweetner thats natural that doesnt trick your body. I havent tried it and Im not sure if Im going to either. I love diet coke. Have a great cruise.

If you have any questions, I'll help if I can.

Have a great time! :)

That is great advice (to keep the meter handy with you to test often).....but going low was the never the problem with all that food around..........

Be wary of SF anything..........it is still loaded with carbohydrates.........

Going along with the Diabetic route, I have been a diabetic for years now and I am currently on the Insulin Pump. When you first get on board there are buffets on the lido deck. You won't find yourself not hungry. The food ranges from salads to meat to desserts to fruit and vegetables. You won't find yourself needing more. There is a deli, Wok, Pizzeria, and Burger place. The 24 hour places, pizzeria, ice cream and deli are good to have if you are having a reaction or just wanting to have something. And on the last day of the cruise there is breakfast if you want but we just got room service that morning and stayed in bed before your excursion when we got off the boat. Any questions about diabectic needs, just let me know.

Just a note on the Lido deserts: Carnival serves a low-carb (not sf) cheesecake that, imho, is lousy. Not their fault but hard to make cheesecake low-carb AND good. One day we went to the Lido for lunch and they were serving something labeled as regular Cheesecake. One bite told me it was the low-carb one and, as it had been served the night before in the dining room, I assumed it was leftover. Anyway, my point is that sometimes things are mis-labeled so it might be better to check with a server (they are always there to help with the deserts) to make sure what you are getting is trully SF.

Oh, and the SF orange cake that they serve in the dining room is very, very good!!

Archived