American Express Platinum Credit Cards

lipoppop

Does anybody know if it is HAL or travel companies that give shipboard credits for using the Amex platinum card?

How is the credit determined and how do you go about getting it?

Does this credit replace any other credit you might get such as a promotion?

Guest alexMD

According to the platinum info I get with my Centurion Card, I believe it is American Express that gives the discount when you purchase a cruise through American Express Platinum Travel Services.

I believe that your TA can book the cruise for you, but there is a number that they call to make sure you get the credit. Perhaps someone has a better understanding than I do and can explain it better.

You do not have to use Am Ex Platinum Travel as your TA. You must use the Platinum to pay all expenses of depositing and final payment of your cruise in order to get the credit.

Whichever TA you use must call Am Ex Platinum Travel to obtain a "tracking number". The TA then transmits that number to HAL in order to get $150 pp shipboard credit (maximum $300 per cabin). It does not apply to EVERY cruise but to most.

The credit applies to categories B, A, S and PS on HAL "pre" Vista Class. I am unsure how low the categories go on Vista in order to get the credit. I know it applies to PS, S, SS, and probably VA and VB......I don't know about lower categories.

Lower cabins get a two category upgrade.

The only Platinum Card this applies to is the one that carries an annual membership fee of about $395.

lipoppop.....

You're welcome. Your TA should have no difficulty getting the credits/upgrade for you.

Be aware though, that from time to time (very rarely), HAL denies the credit under the guise of "you got such a good price" yadda yadda yadda. They pulled that routine on us for our recent Maasdam cruise. It was NOT such a good price. It is unilateral on their part and their fine print ....some restrictions apply....give them license to deny granting it whenever they please. IMO the rep who did that to us was VERY wrong but there is "no appeal process". :)

Sail,

My experience has been the same as yours. My TA has been persistent and gotten the credit for us. She has also been able to keep other credits in place along with the Amex credit. The double credit she was able to get for us was Amex and booking a future cruise on board credit.

Linda

Archived