Submitted my passport application today and postal clerk

tsj04

said that they are now up to a 14 week wait. Good thing we don't go on our cruise until January :) I had my birth certificate and a passport from 1980 when I was a young girl (I'm telling how old I am but ohn well :) ) Even though my passport was YEARS old, the clerk attached my passport and said that he did not need my birth certificate at all (and I even taped it up last night from all the wear and tear :) ) Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how soon I get it. Are passports ever denied or are they pretty much an automatic thing as long as you turn in the required paperwork. My cruise seems more "real" to me now. 272 days and counting....:D

Gosh, I hope they get the backlog under control soon. Going to send DD's app in this month - won't need it 'til sometime next year, but getting a jump on it. My problem will be DS's passport. I need to wait 'til after 10/15 (his 16th bday) to submit his app (I don't want the 5 yr passport for him - what a waste of money!):o But not looking to cruise until March of 2008 at earliest, so hopefully we'll be good.

We are sailing in 11 days, returning on May 3rd. Our passports expire May 11, and we are cruising in September also, so not taking any chances (even though I think it will be OK not to) and doing expedited as soon as we return. The peace of mind is worth the cost of expediting.

Jodi

I would think it is subject to your state.

That or subject to a postal workers interpretation. LOL My mother just applied today, and the guy said 8-10 weeks. The lady doing the passports in the next line said 10-12 weeks. My mother does not need it until Sept. 2008 so no big deal.. then can take as long as they like.

-Mike

I told my parents, sister, and brother in law to get them now! My mom said she and Dad were going to go on Thursday. I wonder if ours will be any quicker to process since we're in Chicago where there is a passport office. When I got mine in 1999, they were saying the time was 6-8 weeks, but I got mine in 2! I was pleasantly surprised.

I have posted before about this, but I applied at the local county court house with the clerk of courts Jan 24 and was told at that time it would be 6-8 weeks. No sweat. Well, I got it today with a day to spare. We fly out Wed morning and since we are over an hour from airport we aren't coming home tomorrow. Thought if it came tomorrow DS could meet us half way with it. I was very happy to see it today. This is the 13th week. If you will be needing one apply now. I can only imagine how much longer they can take in the near future with deadlines coming.

Wow... I think I'll send my stuff in tomorrow then, I'm cruising in Sept (about 20 weeks away), so I should be a ok... and I know i don't need the passport for that cruise but it just makes sense to get it now.. I'm always afraid of loosing my BC.

Are passports ever denied or are they pretty much an automatic thing as long as you turn in the required paperwork.

Yes, one can be denied a passport, so no, they are not an automatic thing.

Archived