Just back from Pride of Aloha 4/8-4/15 long review

Bunie2

Was that NCL or NCLA?

IMO, it doesn't matter. That kind of short, flat blanket statement with no perspective and no specifics is the kind of comment that I completely discount.

I'm no cheerleader for any of the lines we cruise with. I want to hear the good, the bad, and the in-between. No cruise we've taken has been perfect--Not one. Some have been better than others. We've never had a "bad" time (well, except when I broke my leg and we had to go home early:(...but that's not the cruise line's fault).

I tried to make my PoH review as complete, reasonable, and honest as possible. We had a great time even though there were a few "bobbles" (and one evening a major service issue, which was taken care of) and even though it wasn't the "traditional" cruise. We knew based on the itinerary alone that it wouldn't be the same-old-same-old. We did not lower our expectations; we made our expectations fit the type of cruise and itinerary we had booked. There's no excuse for some of the problems that have been reported. The question is whether they are ship-wide issues or isolated instances. Seems some of them are ship-wide, and NCL had better get their act in gear or they'll lose the market entirely. Some of them are not, and those individual instances need to be corrected. Some of the "complaints" are extremely petty, IMO. Those I dismiss entirely.

Lastly, I'm beginning to think that every family is required to have one or two chronic complainers. It kills me to have someone complain about every little thing and for the rest of us to feel as if we must go out of our way to make things better. Walking on eggshells and humoring someone at the expense of our own fun isn't exactly enjoyable. And then yes, later it's "Oh remember the great time we had at such and so." We're thinking, "Well, yeah...when we had some time on our own and didn't have to feel responsible for your pleasure" and also, "That can't have been the trip we were on because you were miserable and complained the whole time.":rolleyes:

beachchick

Lastly, I'm beginning to think that every family is required to have one or two chronic complainers. It kills me to have someone complain about every little thing and for the rest of us to feel as if we must go out of our way to make things better. Walking on eggshells and humoring someone at the expense of our own fun isn't exactly enjoyable. And then yes, later it's "Oh remember the great time we had at such and so." We're thinking, "Well, yeah...when we had some time on our own and didn't have to feel responsible for your pleasure" and also, "That can't have been the trip we were on because you were miserable and complained the whole time.":rolleyes:

beachchick

We must have the same family members!:cool:

Keep in mind folks that NCL monitors this forum. I was told this by an employee working the reception desk on POA during our last cruise on 4/8. It may be that some of the "positive" reviews are coming from them.

I always keep that possibility in mind. I also keep in mind that negative reviews may be coming from NCL competitors.

And this is certainly not the first time when I have seen someone mention that they would have posted about some experience but didn't because they were afraid that they would take flak for posting about it? That perception is based on things that they have read here.

It's hard to understand why people would take this sort of thing so personally. This is an anonymous board where people post anonymous opinions. If you get tons of agreement for what you post, fine. If you get a lot of disagreement, so what? You can't control what the reaction to your posts is going to be; if you're going to post, you have to realize that you're putting your opinion out there and you're going to get other opinions back.

It's hard to understand why people would take this sort of thing so personally. This is an anonymous board where people post anonymous opinions. If you get tons of agreement for what you post, fine. If you get a lot of disagreement, so what? You can't control what the reaction to your posts is going to be; if you're going to post, you have to realize that you're putting your opinion out there and you're going to get other opinions back.

From a funny email Igot the other day but it may apply here as well

If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, Expect an answer you don't want to hear. :eek:

Well it is hard to understand, I guess, but then it is also hard to understand why people would get upset and feel that they had to 'defend' a cruiseline or make comments about some people being impossible to please etc.

Why not just read someone's post for what it is and ignore it if you don't agree. Why take it personally as if they are out to get your cruiseline.

Let's face it, people do take comments on the board personally. You or I may think it is foolish but I believe that some people won't post if they think they will have nasty comments directed back at them, so you will lose the opinions of those shy people whenever they feel their comments will not be well received which, on this type of board generally means when ever they have anything negative to say.

Again, I'm not going to get too upset about it, but I do think we need to realize it will put a false positive skew on what we read here.

Well it is hard to understand, I guess, but then it is also hard to understand why people would get upset and feel that they had to 'defend' a cruiseline or make comments about some people being impossible to please etc.

Why not just read someone's post for what it is and ignore it if you don't agree. Why take it personally as if they are out to get your cruiseline.

Let's face it, people do take comments on the board personally. You or I may think it is foolish but I believe that some people won't post if they think they will have nasty comments directed back at them, so you will lose the opinions of those shy people whenever they feel their comments will not be well received which, on this type of board generally means when ever they have anything negative to say.

Again, I'm not going to get too upset about it, but I do think we need to realize it will put a false positive skew on what we read here.

So, you'd rather have a slanted one sided view of things here?

I'm not here to defend NCL, but I'm not going to be silent either.

I'm here to discuss NCL and cruising in general. I love cruising. I've never had a terrible cruise. I've never had a perfect cruise.

I've heard senior staff discussing weekly the comment cards. If it's been a rainy week, the % of bad comment cards increases significantly. Aren't we being petty to blame NCL crew members for the weather? And that's what I think of many of the negative reviews I read, how so many blow up molehills into mountains. Some expect perfection, having unrealistic expectations. I've read reviews about toilet paper being left in the toliet upon first arriving at their cabins. So what, flush it. But then that petty problem is overblown until everything is dirty. How about cookie crumbs under the bed? Golly, get real, the stewards don't have the time to vacuum every cabin every day. Is it wrong to point this out? I guess you believe it is. But I don't think it is.

It's a free forum, and we all are free to express our opinions.

"You can't please everyone so you better please yourself".We will be cruising NCLA Pride of Aloha for the first time June 3.DH and I plan to have a blast.To much to do and see to have time to nit pick anything.

A "Garden Party" on the "Garden Isle", of Kauai and others.:)

Archived