Just back from Pride of Aloha 4/8-4/15 long review

Bunie2

Both of those things are possible. It's hard to be sure of the background of any posters on an internet board so it's best to take everything with a grain of salt and just filter it all into the big equation.

... I was joking :rolleyes: I'm hardly a conspiracy theorist! But I did have a mainly positive review of the Pride of Aloha, and I don't work for NCLA -- honest!

I just spoke with a friend today who was on the POH a few weeks ago. She reads these boards but has yet to post. While she loved her cruise she had some service horror stories and even a similar drunken crew rant experience. I've urged her to post a review, but I think she is hesitant because she has seen how members take after people who have little or no posts. I hope she does, because even though there were some negatives, as a whole she and her family had a wonderful time and they would do it again. NCLA obviously has some problems to work on, and it is equally obvious where the bulk of those problems lay. I am still looking forward to my cruise this summer, but it's sad that I have to convince myself to be happy with the itinerary and look at the cruise as just a 'floating hotel'. It should be better than that.

Hi. I'm just curious how many posts there are out there that are of the positive variety for POA? Actually make that many of the ships as I find a number of negative reviews on this site with a few positive reviews thrown in.

That being said I do and can value a negative review as it is nice to get someones insight into their trip ect.

I will be going on POA in a week so if anyone has had a positive experience I would love to hear it.:)

Hi. I'm just curious how many posts there are out there that are of the positive variety for POA? Actually make that many of the ships as I find a number of negative reviews on this site with a few positive reviews thrown in.

That being said I do and can value a negative review as it is nice to get someones insight into their trip ect.

I will be going on POA in a week so if anyone has had a positive experience I would love to hear it.:)

Have you looked at the reviews in the actual review section or just read the comments here, on the board. I was under the impression that there were several good reviews in the review section.

Most of the reviews there have a rating right beside their spot in the listing, so, if you want to avoid reading too much negative, I'd siggest you simply avoid the ones with the low ratings. A review form someone who gave the ship 4 or 5 stars is likely to be mostly positive.:cool:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=150

We also came back from the 4/8 sailing of P of Aloha. We had a great time! Sure there were little things that we were not happy with, but we decided that we were not going to be bothered by them. I honestly think that the crew members are trying, most of them. On the evaluation form we did mark "No" when they asked if this cruise was better than our other NCL cruises. I think the problem is that a small percentage of the crew should not even be on the ship. Unfortunately, that small percentage were put in positions that directly deal with customers face to face. When I have time this weekend I will write a review. As far as the ship being dirty, I did not notice that at all. If you get up early you can see crew members working hard cleaning the public areas. Again, as many members stated before, treat it as a floating hotel that provides room and board. I don't think you will get anything less than being at a decent hotel or restaurant on land. Oh, and I don't work for NCL.

I just spoke with a friend today who was on the POH a few weeks ago. She reads these boards but has yet to post. While she loved her cruise she had some service horror stories and even a similar drunken crew rant experience. I've urged her to post a review, but I think she is hesitant because she has seen how members take after people who have little or no posts. I hope she does, because even though there were some negatives, as a whole she and her family had a wonderful time and they would do it again. NCLA obviously has some problems to work on, and it is equally obvious where the bulk of those problems lay. I am still looking forward to my cruise this summer, but it's sad that I have to convince myself to be happy with the itinerary and look at the cruise as just a 'floating hotel'. It should be better than that.

Encourage your friend to post. I think if you look at reviews that people reacted really badly to - you will find that they were anti-NCL diatribes rather

than well thought out but critical reviews of a ship. People are entitled to their opinions BUT a review that expresses really a really negative view (and especially the ones that emphasize trivial disappointments (like no towel animals) or are exaggerated to a really unbelievable degree (the entire ship was filthy and the entire crew were rude) are just going to stir people up.

I would love to see a review from your friend where she points out specific things that were problems and as well points out stuff that she liked.

Reviews like that can be REALLY helpful for people that are already booked and for people considering the cruise.

The only advice I can give is you are truly the only person in charge of your good time. If a problem is that big - deal with it right away on board and elevate it to the correct person or supervisor. But try not to let a bad appetizer, dirty plates or lack of towels ruin a trip to wonderful Hawaii.

Very well said. I couldn't agree more. If you go looking to have a great time, and you prepare in advance, you do well. We keep a master notebook of everything associated with the trip (tickets, etc.) and that's where cruise extras go when we book them (which is rare; we prefer to go on our own). We plan the cruise, and then we cruise on the plan.

Works every time.

Very true regarding being in charge of your own enjoyment of a cruise. I am not that picky a person so I will not complain about every last thing I see wrong. (DON'T YOU THINK THAT WOULD JUST RUIN YOUR TRIP?)

Also I am a firm believer in treating people as you would like to be treated and talked to yourself. I have been on vacation before where some guests talk to the staff as though they were slaves and show them ZERO respect so I can't blame some staff for being rude right back.

That being said I can't wait for my vacation to Hawaii most importantly as that is the primary reason for my vacation and I am also looking forward to my cruise and meeting some of the staff. Heck I will probably even give a few a much needed compliment if they are extra friendly and/ or working hard.

NEGATIVES GET NOTICED AND BROUGHT TO THE FOREFRONT ALL THE TIME BUT POSITIVE HARD WORK AND PRAISE GOES UNNOTICED IN EVERYDAY LIFE.

Hence why we need to go on vacations!!!:D

Encourage your friend to post. I think if you look at reviews that people reacted really badly to - you will find that they were anti-NCL diatribes rather

than well thought out but critical reviews of a ship. People are entitled to their opinions BUT a review that expresses really a really negative view (and especially the ones that emphasize trivial disappointments (like no towel animals) or are exaggerated to a really unbelievable degree (the entire ship was filthy and the entire crew were rude) are just going to stir people up.

I would love to see a review from your friend where she points out specific things that were problems and as well points out stuff that she liked.

Reviews like that can be REALLY helpful for people that are already booked and for people considering the cruise.

I have to disagree slightly with this. I have seen people who posted what appeared, to me, to be mildly negative reviews treated with contempt or have their honesty or temperament questioned. Comments such as 'she must be someone who wouldn't be pleased with anything' or 'something about that doesn't ring true', are in my opinion put downs.

Or how about the frequently seen comment drawing everyone's attention to the fact that the negative review was posted by a new poster, as if that somehow invalidates their opinions?

And this is certainly not the first time when I have seen someone mention that they would have posted about some experience but didn't because they were afraid that they would take flak for posting about it? That perception is based on things that they have read here.

It disappoints me too because I like seeing both sides in a review and I don't like to feel that the reports we get are being skewed because people feel intimidated into not posting about anything negative.

The good, the bad and the ugly.. Everyone has an opinion, but you should also go with an open mind, if you look for something bad.. you will find it:rolleyes:

If everyone read a bad review and took it 100% to heart, no one would continue to cruise.

Go with a great attitude and stop looking for every little thing wrong with a cruise and look for all the great memories you will come home with ;)

Or how about the frequently seen comment drawing everyone's attention to the fact that the negative review was posted by a new poster, as if that somehow invalidates their opinions?

I think the first time posters negative posting is often criticized because it is the same old thing. Someone comes back from a cruise and has a great time and tells all their friends and family about it. The person who comes back and has a bad time needs to surf the internet, find this site and tell the world. I don't want to read the same old thing. I don't read Keystone's postings when it comes to taking kids out of school, NCL customer service or Rosie O'Donnell. I know what it will say and don't need to read it again.

For all negative reviews the best the reader can do is try to determine in their own mind the validity of the persons postings. I tried to find the review that started with the Pride of Aloha is an old run down, rusty ship. I am going to immediately dismiss the validity of the poster. Had they said it was rusty on our balcony and there were holes in the carpet in the dining room or wherever that could be legitimate, but since they state as fact the ship is OLD and run down, I believe they don't know what they are talking about.

If a review is ALL bad, I take the person to be a whiner. My mother for example is a big complainer. If she goes on vacation or even to a wedding, I'll hear everything bad. Finally I'll ask her if there was anything good about it. Then she'll say, "Oh yes it was wonderful..." it has become a family joke.

I met a couple at a CC meet and greet one time. ALL they did was complain and complain. Since then I see their postings and skip right over them. I also met a couple who was wonderful and very upbeat. When I read postings by them I look at every word. Both of these couples as well as my husband and I were on the same cruise. The first couple's opinion is no less valid but I know I won't gain anything from it.

I would welcome your friend's review and the best I can do is judge the validity of the review for ME.

If a review is ALL bad, I take the person to be a whiner. My mother for example is a big complainer. If she goes on vacation or even to a wedding, I'll hear everything bad. Finally I'll ask her if there was anything good about it. Then she'll say, "Oh yes it was wonderful..." it has become a family joke.

I must be your aunt -- that's my sister you're talking about ;)

...If a review is ALL bad, I take the person to be a whiner. My mother for example is a big complainer. If she goes on vacation or even to a wedding, I'll hear everything bad. Finally I'll ask her if there was anything good about it. Then she'll say, "Oh yes it was wonderful..." it has become a family joke.

LOL...are we related? On a recent family cruise on Princess, my mom started every other sentence with the words "On Holland America...":D

That really tickled my funnybone! But, another view on aging, I am finding the older I get, the less fussy I am. Something that would have totally cheesed me off when I was in my 20's doesn't hardly fizzle me now in my 50's. I've had many very big crises in my life and have been able to determine what is really important. I try to put it in perspective, on the grand scale of things, how big a deal is this problem? In most cases I find it's pretty low on the scale.

This detailed specific (compared with " I didn't like the cruise")review, and other similar ones convinced my wife and me to cancel our Hawaii cruise reservations. They are far enough ahead so there is no penalty. Moreover, since the parent company accepts this we'll not consider NCL any more for any cruises. The comments by others on this board saying that 'you get what you pay for' does not address the fact, noted by some others, that there really is no other competition, unless we sail to Hawaii from a US West Coast port and return. NCL is obviously operating on the no local competition circumstance,that most people do not have the time for the RT cruise to Hawaii - and resulting in NCL providing a terrible product. In other industries, management discontinues offering certain products not meeting the corporate quality standards to avoid losing market reputation. If NCL loses enough other business they may figure it out.

This detailed specific (compared with " I didn't like the cruise")review, and other similar ones convinced my wife and me to cancel our Hawaii cruise reservations.

And I think that is what is great about these boards. People have the opportunity of making educated decisions on what they read. Much better than the people who come back with an ax to grind because they didn't know what to expect. So far I have not read any reviews that have caused me to make that decision. And the info from there boards regarding the redeploying of ships has made me even more hopeful.

This detailed specific (compared with " I didn't like the cruise")review, and other similar ones convinced my wife and me to cancel our Hawaii cruise reservations.

That's sad but given your prior comments on Princess and HAL, it's probably a wise decision for you. It's not a cruise for someone looking for the traditional cruise experience, but it is a great way to see the islands :o

I think the first time posters negative posting is often criticized because it is the same old thing. Someone comes back from a cruise and has a great time and tells all their friends and family about it. The person who comes back and has a bad time needs to surf the internet, find this site and tell the world. I don't want to read the same old thing.

Just two comments,

I don't think I've ever seen anyone comment to another poster that they wouldn't bother reading their post because they are sick of hearing how much people enjoyed their cruise on XYZ ship.

It seems we don't mind reading several similar positive reviews about the same ship so why should we mind reading a few similar negative posts.

and

If it is a first time poster, it doesn't seem to me to be 'the same old thing'? It is a totally new perspective from someone who has never posted before.

In other industries, management discontinues offering certain products not meeting the corporate quality standards to avoid losing market reputation. If NCL loses enough other business they may figure it out.

Not without something that draws it to their attention. WIthout a letter from you telling them why you axed the trip, they may think they booked you on another cruise.

I think it is a good thing that you saw what you saw and elected to go elsewhere. Viva the free market! But you need to go one step further. You need to suggest, in writing, that what you're reading here forced your hand on this decision. Only then will NCLA get the message. One cancellation is a fluke. A cancellation and a letter tend to get noticed.

Just a suggestion, for what it's worth.

Just two comments,

I don't think I've ever seen anyone comment to another poster that they wouldn't bother reading their post because they are sick of hearing how much people enjoyed their cruise on XYZ ship.

It seems we don't mind reading several similar positive reviews about the same ship so why should we mind reading a few similar negative posts.

and

If it is a first time poster, it doesn't seem to me to be 'the same old thing'? It is a totally new perspective from someone who has never posted before.

I was just trying to give my perspective on how I read reviews and why as I stated earlier this review is of particular concern to me.

I was just trying to give my perspective on how I read reviews and why as I stated earlier this review is of particular concern to me.

I hope I didn't offend you. Everyone is free to read what they want and skip what they want on the board.

It is just that I don't agree with your particular stated reasoning for disregarding certain posts.

Archived