Just back from Pride of Aloha 4/8-4/15 long review

Bunie2

This was our 2nd time with POAL and our last. It has went downhill in the past 2 years.

Negatives

The ship was dirty, trash on the outside deck that was there for a couple of days at a time. Plates, etc. left on tables all night. Some of he wood in the showers around pool were broken and missing.

There were not enough towels by the pool, although plenty of chairs available, we finally bought our own towels in port. The bar (Hoku) on the top deck was only opened once the entire week.

Our bathroom was dirty when we got to our room. (The previous occupants hairs on the sink and floor)

Our room steward never introduced herself, the only way we knew her name is a card she left in our room on Thursday night with her name on it.

We had to call to get washcloths 3 days out of the 7 days we were there. The sheets were not changed once in those 7 days, I know this because I had gotten some makeup on my pillowcase and that was the same case all week.

In port in Kauai we went to a beach near the pier (walking distance from the ship) to lay in the sun. There were 8 crew members beside us, we had the pleasure of listening to them talk about how much they hate their jobs, talk about passengers, and watch them drink beer the 3 hours we were out there. Drinking no problem on your day off, but then they were saying what time each had to be back at work that day.

90% of the staff was rude and had attitudes. The buffet had closed, we asked one girl in the buffet what was open so we could get some food, she rolled her eyes at us and said " I don't know what time it is, I don't know what is open" We found out "Longboards," was open until 3 am, where you can get some food.

We sat there for 15 minutes and no one came by to give us a menu or even acknowledge us. The 2 "waitresses" that were working in there were on the beach that morning.

Entertainment on the ship is almost non existent. They use the dance club "Blue Hawaii" more than the "Stardust" The cruise director and his assistant are not good. Their idea of entertainment is "Trivia" around the pool. At night there's really nothing to see as far as shows.

Food was "ok" . 4 times in the main dining room for one of the main entrees they did not have what was listed on the menu.

I had gotten the "anniversary package" so we ate in the "Royal Palm Bistro" one night, the didn't have what was listed for one of the entrees as well. The food was mediocre, never pay extra to eat there. Service extremely slow, we were in there 1.5 hours and that was just getting the appetizer and main course, we left before dessert we didn't want to be in there another hour.

I had booked an excursion online, "Molokini Crater snorkel" several months before our cruise. When we got there they had no record of me booking it. Make sure you take the printout with you if booking an excursion online.

Positives

Sanoi the bartender at the Atrium Bar. She was extremely friendly and helpful. She grew up in Oahu, very knowledgeable of the island and the ports.

Being in Hawaii.

Gratuities are added each day to your bill $10.00 per person, listed as "service charge" , this is optional.

We had them removed because the service we received was not good. We tipped Sanoi at the end of the cruise, because she was the only person we encountered that we felt deserving.

Keep all your receipts, they have a tendency to mess up on charges.

We made comments several times to the front desk regarding all we had encountered. Their reaction was the same as the rest of the crew, they couldn't care less. These people sign a 5 month contract with NCL and most are just counting down the days until it is over.

My suggestion for a Hawaiian cruise is spend some more time at sea and go with another cruise line.

This was our 2nd time with POAL and our last. It has went downhill in the past 2 years.

Negatives

The ship was dirty, trash on the outside deck that was there for a couple of days at a time. Plates, etc. left on tables all night. Some of he wood in the showers around pool were broken and missing.

There were not enough towels by the pool, although plenty of chairs available, we finally bought our own towels in port. The bar (Hoku) on the top deck was only opened once the entire week.

Our bathroom was dirty when we got to our room. (The previous occupants hairs on the sink and floor)

Our room steward never introduced herself, the only way we knew her name is a card she left in our room on Thursday night with her name on it.

We had to call to get washcloths 3 days out of the 7 days we were there. The sheets were not changed once in those 7 days, I know this because I had gotten some makeup on my pillowcase and that was the same case all week.

In port in Kauai we went to a beach near the pier (walking distance from the ship) to lay in the sun. There were 8 crew members beside us, we had the pleasure of listening to them talk about how much they hate their jobs, talk about passengers, and watch them drink beer the 3 hours we were out there. Drinking no problem on your day off, but then they were saying what time each had to be back at work that day.

90% of the staff was rude and had attitudes. The buffet had closed, we asked one girl in the buffet what was open so we could get some food, she rolled her eyes at us and said " I don't know what time it is, I don't know what is open" We found out "Longboards," was open until 3 am, where you can get some food.

We sat there for 15 minutes and no one came by to give us a menu or even acknowledge us. The 2 "waitresses" that were working in there were on the beach that morning.

Entertainment on the ship is almost non existent. They use the dance club "Blue Hawaii" more than the "Stardust" The cruise director and his assistant are not good. Their idea of entertainment is "Trivia" around the pool. At night there's really nothing to see as far as shows.

Food was "ok" . 4 times in the main dining room for one of the main entrees they did not have what was listed on the menu.

I had gotten the "anniversary package" so we ate in the "Royal Palm Bistro" one night, the didn't have what was listed for one of the entrees as well. The food was mediocre, never pay extra to eat there. Service extremely slow, we were in there 1.5 hours and that was just getting the appetizer and main course, we left before dessert we didn't want to be in there another hour.

I had booked an excursion online, "Molokini Crater snorkel" several months before our cruise. When we got there they had no record of me booking it. Make sure you take the printout with you if booking an excursion online.

Positives

Sanoi the bartender at the Atrium Bar. She was extremely friendly and helpful. She grew up in Oahu, very knowledgeable of the island and the ports.

Being in Hawaii.

Gratuities are added each day to your bill $10.00 per person, listed as "service charge" , this is optional.

We had them removed because the service we received was not good. We tipped Sanoi at the end of the cruise, because she was the only person we encountered that we felt deserving.

Keep all your receipts, they have a tendency to mess up on charges.

We made comments several times to the front desk regarding all we had encountered. Their reaction was the same as the rest of the crew, they couldn't care less. These people sign a 5 month contract with NCL and most are just counting down the days until it is over.

My suggestion for a Hawaiian cruise is spend some more time at sea and go with another cruise line.

I am interested in your comment that this was your second cruise on the POAL. I am assuming that you wouldn't have booked a second time if you hadn't enjoyed the first time.

It is discouraging to read that you seem to feel service is actually declining with time rather than improving. I was under the ompression that early on NCLA was having trouble keeping the ships staffed and that was blamed for poor service. By now you would think they would have the staffing up to speed.

Could you be more specific about what in particular was worse on this cruise than on the first one you took on POAL?

I am sorry you had such an unpleasant experience. We were on only two weeks ago and it seems like you were on a completely different ship.

We never had any problems getting towels. Although, we also never looked for towels on deck once the late afternoon came. I have experienced this on other cruises we have taken (on other lines) and once the afternoon comes there may or may not be towels. On POA, it was such a port intensive cruise, even the usually busy pool deck was never full of passengers. With the exception of the afternoon at sea after we left Kauai.

There was always plenty of towels that could be signed out at the gangway. Again, we never were leaving the ship past 9:30am. I had purchased a towel for the week pre cruise while we were in Maui and I never had to use it on the cruise.

IMO - I often find it odd how people say the cabin steward never 'introduced themselves' or they never learned their name. As soon as we get on board or at the latest by the next morning, if we have not seen the Cabin steward in around our room, we go look for them to 'introduce ourselves'. Why are you waiting for them to do it if it is important to you? Our cabin steward on POA was in our top favorite cruise staff of all our cruises. I feel for you...as our room upkeep is very important to us as well. We had a similar stewardess on the Sun Princess a few years ago and after a few days of things not getting done etc. We dialed her in...and just politely explained of our disappointment and expectations. Deal with with it right away so it dosen't ruin your trip.

In the future it is good practice to bring all email confirmations or screen prints of bookings. But always confirm everything AGAIN before you leave home. This will catch other potential vacation disappointments BEFORE you leave home. Once on board, if you have booked anything with the ship - they should have the tour tickets in your room upon arrival or very shortly after. If you do not see these tickets get down to the shore ex desk with your confirmation print out.

The only advice I can give is you are truly the only person in charge of your good time. If a problem is that big - deal with it right away on board and elevate it to the correct person or supervisor. But try not to let a bad appetizer, dirty plates or lack of towels ruin a trip to wonderful Hawaii.

Thank you for your report as it will hopefully help out others here learn of potential set backs. Unfortunately it will not help you at this point. Hope your next vacation makes up for it!

In port in Kauai we went to a beach near the pier (walking distance from the ship) to lay in the sun. There were 8 crew members beside us, we had the pleasure of listening to them talk about how much they hate their jobs, talk about passengers.

Sorry about your time. It does sound bad. The only thing I read that I dont think should impact your cruise was this comment. Yes its bad and Im sorry you had to hear it, I never spoke about passengers If I knew they were around on beaches, or tenders etc but another point is they were off the ship and at the beach (the one by dukes and the marriot im guessing) so at least they weren't on the ship. I always saw passengers at walmart and never said things but sometimes you just need to vent and at the beach is alot better then on the ship.

Of all the reviews I have read, this is definitely the most upsetting. I looked at previous posts by OP - always upbeat. OP had already sailed on POA and now this.

This is disturbing indeed.

I agree - I find the dirt issues especially disturbing and while I don't care if a cabin steward introduces themselves or not I DO care if they do their job (there is never an excuse for not keeping a cabin well supplied and clean).

I really hope OP filled out the comment card!

i am going on this cruise ship on may 6th, it will be my 30th cruise , i really dont care for n cl myself but great ports of call in hawaii. we were on the jewel last year we went to itlay the service was also really bad! and thats a new ship!food was the worst out of any other cruise line i ever was on!i always tip my waiters but this cruise was so bad last year this was the first time in 30 cruises i did not tip.i heard pride of aloha you have to tip because its a american ship? so the workers dont care,is that true?:D i hope they will claen up there act in the next 3 weeks!

My trip to Hawaii was not ruined, I did go to see Hawaii after all.

Could it have been more enjoyable on the ship? Yes!!

As far as going on a search party to find my steward, no one should have to do that. It is their job to introduce themselves and see if there's anything you need. It was not as important to us as you seemed to think. I was letting people know of my experience.

The 2 times there were zero towels by poolside were around 12:30 in the afternoon, very little people laying by the pool, so there should have been no reason not to have towels out.

Dirty dishes, etc. did not make me enjoy Hawaii any less, it is uncalled for however.

Sorry about your time. It does sound bad. The only thing I read that I dont think should impact your cruise was this comment. Yes its bad and Im sorry you had to hear it, I never spoke about passengers If I knew they were around on beaches, or tenders etc but another point is they were off the ship and at the beach (the one by dukes and the marriot im guessing) so at least they weren't on the ship. I always saw passengers at walmart and never said things but sometimes you just need to vent and at the beach is alot better then on the ship.

I know what you mean...LOL!!! Sometimes you need to vent, Passengers are NOT easy as well. They sometimes think, because they pay they can do whatever they want to...WRONG!!!

I spent 6 years of my live on cruise ships and met nice as well as horrible Passengers, which you would like to throw overboard.

By the way...is your AC not working in your cabin (all the vents)???

IMO they also should take the Pride of Aloha (ex Sky) out of the Hawaii market and send her to Miami for short break cruises and really staff the POA with people who are in love with ship live and the lifestyle.

I am sorry to hear of your poor experience on Aloha. Some of what you ran into was the same issues on our "America" Cruise last year (service, cleanliness, etc).

I really wish NCLA would get their act together before they put themselves out of business. Being able to cruise Hawaii without touching a foreign port is a great thing, but having to do it on a sub-standard cruise ship/line is not so great!

Chas

This was our first time cruising with Norwegian and our 1st time to Hawaii

We departed 4/22 stayed at the Marriott on Waikiki for 2 days. The Marriott was very nice. Got on the ship on 4/24.

We have cruised with RCL and Princess before. Pride of Aloha does not compare to RCL but is much better than Princess. This is a smaller ship, small buffet, all the bars are not open all day long. The dress code is casual, which is refreshing after so many cruises of having to "dress up" every night. The food was good, the service was good (if you have certain waiters). The shows were entertaining. The bartender Melanie at the Atrium Bar was the best they had, a big asset to the ship. We always had a clean room, fresh towels, ice and if you ask for a coffee maker in your room you will get one.

I did not have a problem with the bed being too hard as some have said.

The music was a little old for my taste in the disco. The ship overall was clean. They still need to work on training some of their employees at the front desk. Some did not have a clue when asked about excursions. They do have a Kiosk where you can buy your excursions and get the ticket right then. One excursion I DO NOT Recommend is the sunset dinner sail in Maui. We paid 71.00 each for it , it was horrible.

We took a snokeling excursion in Kona with Body Glove, I highly recommend them, worth more than they charge. Molikini Crater Snorkel in Maui was awesome, beautiful place. We also went on the Vocanoes National Park Odysey in Hilo, I recommend. There's one excursion in Hilo that takes you to the Lava flow, I heard from several people that wnet, it is like walking on hot glass, very rough even for people in shape. Several people fell and got cut up, 1 person fell and broke his wrist. I am glad we did not do that one.

We went to Pearl Harbor, words can't describe the feeling you get when you go there.

Also there's an old Whaler's Village on Maui called Lahaina, it is a must see.

There's a free shuttle to Walmart on almost all islands, take it, go get bottled water, cokes, etc. and put in your fridge, it saves money (although we didn't do it this time, many people did)

Hope this wasn't too long just trying to give some info.

Just go have a good time, do not expect to be on the Queen Mary II, and you won't be disappointed. You are in Hawaii, it is beautiful there.

That was the first review. Bunie hope you dont mind me posting this I can remove it if you wish.

Sometimes they didnt. That was horrible!

But better to sweat then to freeze...I sailed on the NCL Sea and the ship was so shabby that the heat went off and my Officers Cabin was right on the water/ice line up in Canada...yeppieeyyy try then to take a shower!:D

But better to sweat then to freeze...I sailed on the NCL Sea and the ship was so shabby that the heat went off and my Officers Cabin was right on the water/ice line up in Canada...yeppieeyyy try then to take a shower!:D

LOL that wouldnt be fun but you can always buy more blankets..you can only take so much off!

Thanks for finding that older review ohio.

The OPcertainly doesn't sound like someone who is overly demanding in that first review. Have conditions really deteriorated that much between April 2005 and now?

I thought the general feeling was that NCL just needed time to get the bugs out and then everything would be better with these cruises it is sad to see that things seem to be moving in the wrong direction.

This is very important! Crew have no business drinking in between shifts. This is a volilation of coast guard rules. .04 is the rule after work, but in between shifts its .00 This is a major problem on the NCLA ships. I said a long time ago that NCLA needs to remove the crew bar from the ship. Service would improve greatly

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad time of it on the ship.

The one bright spot is that you were in Paradise on Earth (we've been to Hawaii several times...nothing in the world can match the Aloha spirit of the islands).

It's very disturbing for me to hear these negatives...issues that I would take seriously just as you did. For this type of trip, for me at least, the Islands would be the destination...not so much the ship. However there is no excuse for the situations you encountered. On paper this should be the perfect combination...the magnificent beauty of the Islands combined with Freestyle cruising. I hope that NCLA can get their act together...and I sincerely hope someone from the company reads your review.

OP...have you cruised on NCL (as opposed to NCLA)? Based on this experience, would you book with NCL again (not NCLA)?

Ciao,

W A W W

Yes its bad and Im sorry you had to hear it, I never spoke about passengers If I knew they were around on beaches, or tenders etc but another point is they were off the ship and at the beach (the one by dukes and the marriot im guessing) so at least they weren't on the ship.

Yes, but don't we ALL vent (about our jobs) while we are out to lunch/day off, etc.?

We only hope others are not "eavesdropping" tsk tsk ;)

This is very important! Crew have no business drinking in between shifts. This is a volilation of coast guard rules. .04 is the rule after work, but in between shifts its .00 This is a major problem on the NCLA ships. I said a long time ago that NCLA needs to remove the crew bar from the ship. Service would improve greatly

What did this have to do with the crew bar:confused:

What did this have to do with the crew bar:confused:

It has everything to do with it. Crew drink way too much. after their shift at the end of the night. They get drunk can't get up for work if they do they are in a foul mood and hung over. Drinking in between shifts isn't allowed at all.

Archived