Need opinions on formal night dresses

Krunu15

Both lovely dresses; do you plan to accessorize the same or do something different with each dress?

You may want to take a shawl along for late night stroll on the deck or just to ward off the air conditioning. One of those faux pashmina shawls would be light to carry and keep you warm if you need it.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I went to Nordstrom and checked them out, as I thought they looked rather similar as well.

Guess what? When you look at them up close, they are very different. The first dress has a mesh insert at the bustline and sequins all over the dress, more on top, less on the bottom:

_5385166.jpg

The second dress has no beading (that I can see!) and has mesh on the sides of the dress:

_5361831.jpg

The similarity of the dresses is the color and the neckline, it ends there.

To the OP, I think you have great taste :)

Let me preface this with the folowing:

It is not my intention to offend anyone:D :rolleyes:

Ladies:FYI

The definition of Formal for Formal nights onboard is a floor length gown.

The dresses you show are lovely, but they are cocktail dresses, not formal.

go to the rent-a-formal page on PCL the pictures they show you as rental options for formal nights are ALL floor length.

Please wear what you'd like-just thought you'd like to know-that's all.

Ladies:FYI

The definition of Formal for Formal nights onboard is a floor length gown.

The dresses you show are lovely, but they are cocktail dresses, not formal.

quote]

I'm not trying to be argumentative :) ~ just looking for clarification. We are taking our first cruise in June, and I have been wondering about the formal wear issue. This is what I read on the RC website:

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Now going by this, cocktail dresses are ok. I was planning on wearing a dress similar to the OP's first one. Will most be wearing floor length dresses?

aaatrm... never fear. On formal night, you'll see it all... there will be those in long gowns but on RC, in my experience, they'll be WAY outnumbered by those in cocktail dresses, which you pointed out is in the guidelines outlined by the cruise line.

Don't let the clothes planning ruin the cruise experience for you. People sweat it WAAAAAAY too much. And people who worry over who wears what need to get a life, IMHO.

On some lines "formal" might mean a "formal" gown... but on most, cocktail dresses are perfectly acceptable.

heyitsmejudy~ thanks for the reassurance! I figured it probably runs the gamut with regard to what people wear, but I was just curious if I was missing something.

I am so excited about our first cruise -- trust me, I'm not sweatin' the small stuff!

I know you'll fall in love with cruising as the rest of us have!

Note:

RC does indeed post those perameters, be aware destination and cruise line also play a role in what you'll see in the dining room etc on formal nights.

What you'll find on Carnival, RC, etc will be different that what you'll find on Cunard, most Princess voyages, Celebrity etc.

Have a wonderful time.

Finally someone on here with taste in dinner wear. Both dresses are perfect. I am so tired of the people who think they should be wearing satin fluffy prom dresses to dinner / formal night, or the posters who post a nice post just for the sake of not hurting someone's feelings. Posts should be honest opinions, isn't that what posters ask for?? Poof, satin, tafetta does not make a formal dinner attire. Sleek simple elegance is tasteful. Buy them both!!

Archived