Diamonds in St. Thomas

Would like to hear opinions from anyone who has purchased diamonds in St. Thomas. I've gotten jewelry in St. Maarten in the past but nowhere else. I'm considering upgrading the main stone in my wedding ring on this cruise so am wondering if the prices in St. Thomas are good enough to do so. Our other ports are Nassau and San Juan so I think St. Thomas is the best bet. Let me know if you think otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.diamondcuttersintl.com/diamond_education/articles/index.html

Before you purchase diamonds anywhere, I strongly suggest throughly researching this subject. I have attached a web site that was very helpful to me on the subject. The ship's shopping "expert" will educate you on the cut, color and clarity but will not talk about the girdle, culet, florescence, etc.

After purchasing loose diamonds twice in St. Thomas, I am not convinced they carry the highest quality. I just found out that the last diamond I purchased had a girdle that was too large, thus adding carat weight to the stone and causing a slight chip. I did't mind that my last two St. Thomas diamonds were not the highest quality as I was more interested in the financial impact of raising my kids than having the highest quality diamond at the time.

We are celebrating our 25th anniversary and this time around I wanted only high quality diamonds since I figure they will be my last. I was so concerned about paying too much or not getting quality diamonds that I wouldn't buy until I received a referral from a friend.

If you are serious about buying diamonds in the caribbean, read all those diamond articles on the web site I attached. If you shop for diamonds at Diamonds Intl, ask for the store manager. Her name is Wendy and she will give you a better deal than the clerks.

Good luck on your purchase.

Glitters right there in the Havensite mall by the pier. We have purchased there from Jimmy on many occaisions and have never been dissapointed. We have had some of the items checked out when we have gotten home and have not been able to come close to the deals we have gotten there. Just know what you are looking for and have a budget in mind, and he will amaze you.

• 5 months later...

Be really, really careful in San Juan. We had two instances in the past few weeks of consumers bringing in chains to have examined by us to see if they were real gold. They were stamped as 14 kt however were plated brass chains worth about $3.00. The folks who bought it had an odd feeling the deal just was a bit "too good"

St Thomas does have some wonderful jewelry. The best part is the selection.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

My mom and I bought diamond earrings last January from Ajanta Jewelers on Drakes Passage between Veterans Drive(the waterfront) and Main Street. My mom bought studs and I bought a pair of channel cut hoops. The salesman said that if we weren't happy with them or if they didn't appraise at his appraisal price (we paid significantly less than his appraisal), we could return them. My mom looked at several pairs and bought one, then when she got home, she decided she wanted one of the other pairs she had looked at. They took care of everything just so she would be satisfied. You never know when you buy something on the islands how their guarantee will work, but in this case it did. Good luck!

Carole

Celebrity Jewlers in Havensight. See Mark. I will only buy from him. Tell him Cindi said hey.

I had a list of jewelry stores to check out in St. Thomas. One of them was Celebrity (Mark). We went there first. I saw a ring I liked but wanted to look at the other stores in Charlotte Amalie. I could not find anything like the ring I saw. I asked at one of the stores if they had what I was looking for at the price Celebrity was asking and they said, no, not at that price. Went back to Mark and bought that ring!

Mark was recommended on this board by "Al from Florida." So, Al from Florida, thank you for the recommendation. Mark said hi.

I've bought many pieces of jewelry over the years in St. Thomas and St. Maarten, even some in Jamaica. Never thought of trading up on a diamond necklace or earrings....do any of you know if any of these places mentioned above take trades? Thanks.

Archived