Left Behind

balconybuphs

People on our Mexican riviera cruise were left in PV ..had to make their own way to Mazatlan

If you book private tours allow plenty of time to get back to the ship

I usually try to be back 2 hrs prior to sailing.

Hi,

Has anyone ever been left behind when returning late from a shore excursion?

Wondering if it's safe to book outside the cruise line?

Thanks,

balconybuphs

It happens very often. Like others have said, If you book private tours you are on your own. It also happens to people who drink so much they can't tell time.

We typically book independently and have never missed the ship (though I've heard stories!). The only type of excursion we would book through the cruise line would be one that ends very close to the time the ship sails or one that visits a remote area for an extended length of time. We're always cognizant of the sailing time and make sure we're back well before. It's fine to book independent tours--just use your brains!:)

We like to book independently as our experience has been fewer crowds and a more personal tour.

Cheers!

Jayne

I've even heard of the ship leaving when people had booked through their ship. They got separated from their group, then in a weird mixup with the checkin machines not working properly, no one noticed they weren't onboard, and bye bye ship! Since they were separated from the ship, as far as I recall, they were considered not part of the tour anymore, and weren't the ship's responsibility.

Nightmare of a story. I got extremely anxious while reading it.

So, if you book independently, let everyone know where you're going (so they'll at least know you're gone!) and book it with plenty of time AFTER the tour, in case of problems. And no matter who you book with or how, don't get separated from the group!

Have been on several cruises when passengers and crew didn't make it back to the ship on time and were left behind.

On our recent Maasdam cruise, a couple of passengers didn't change their watches as instructed before we got to St Maarten. They missed the ship. The HAL representative helped to make arrangements to get to the next island - St Lucia. Of course they had to pay for the air, hotel and food out of their pocket.

The one crew member that we saw miss the ship in St Thomas a couple of years ago, was fired when we got back to Ft Lauderdale.

On our most recent cruise, we took the Mayan Ruin excursion (through Carnival) and when we got on the bus to go back to the ship, we waited for about 30 minutes and then the bus left without them. We were told that if they showed up that they'd have to get a taxi (paying for it themselves....and this was quite a distance away from the ship).

We still don't know if they made it back to the ship. Our tour bus got there late as it was and the ship did pull out on time.

One thing we did see on this Freedom of the Seas trip (4-22 -4-29) was not a couple missing the ship... But we were just leaving Jamaica, and the Coast Guard ship was circling us (we saw from our balcony) and along came another small boat and pulled up to Freedom.. we saw a couple hop on the small boat from Freedom.. have their luggage tossed on too.. then shipped back to Jamaica.. I hope nothing was wrong that they had to disembark right then.. we weren't far off shore, but we had definately left port.. Our prayers are with them if it indeed was an emergency...

If we are on our own we allow at least 1-2 hrs leaway for the just in case. We may wander around the port area after getting back from our non-ship tour, but a least we know we can make the ship on time.

If we are doing a far ranging tour (1-2 hrs drive from the ship) and will be arriving late in the afternoon, we tend to go with the ship's tour.

I was almost left behind in Cabo San Lucas, but it wasn't due to a excursion issue - just my having made friends with an iguana and too much tequila. Hey, it was really hot out and I had to stay hydrated. My wife told me she got on a tender back to the ship and remembers seeing me still on the dock. Don't have a clue on how I got back - but thanks to some people I made it. (It was a snorkel excursion and I don't snorkel, so when everybody got off the boat, the bar opened - had a great start before the party really got started.)

Archived