Carnival Freedom, John Heald & YOU! - Bloggers Cruise with John Heald 1/19/08

LauraS

Well, speaking for myself, I haven't yet sailed with John. And if his blog is merely a marketing ploy, then I'm just the sucker they were looking for.

I find his blog posts interesting and funny and John himself has presented himself as gracious, kind, open, funny and supremely human. He's gone over and above to answer questions for the people who post there, even if they have nothing to do with the Freedom. Writing a blog takes time and he does this in addition to his duties as cruise director. He makes people he's never met before feel welcome and included, a sign of a true gentleman.

So yes, I fell for this marketing ploy and booked the Blogger's Cruise for a chance to cruise with him.

As far as his schtick being old and recycled? So are most cruise directors. They all use many of the same jokes. Who cares? It's the personality behind the joke. I heard the exact same joke used by Brett Allans and Chris Jefferson a year apart. I think I enjoyed it more coming from Chris just because I enjoyed his personality more.

And of course he's going to extol the virtues of a Carnival sponsored excursion. He WORKS for Carnival. That is part of his job. And again, yes, every single cruise director does it.

So John was not to your liking. Oh well, his schedule on the ships is pretty public so you can avoid him in the future.

But how dare you assume that those of us who like him are some mindless sheep who are unable to form our own opinions? Share your opinions by all means, I like to hear the bad experiences as well as the good. But you don't have to insult those who don't share your opinion.

Laura

well said laura great job, the blog started out as a live update report from the ship back in february believe it or not, carnival or john had no idea what they were getting into, it was not marketing trip at all, it was done to give the people a live look from a cruise ship and the cruise director views. As of a few weeks ago over 600 people signed up thru the web site for the blog cruise with john we all must be suckers..just joking, the blog is the best thing ever to come out of carnival land it is so good and john adds so much to to it just like he does with anything he does, john actions and records speaks for itself. Do you know that john wouldnt go on vacation back in july because he wanted to keep the blog thing going and he didnt want to disapoint so many fans that booked the freedom and was looking forward to having him aboard the ship as cruise director over in europe. John i dont know how you did it bringing out a new ship is one thing, keep up with the blog is another then no going on vacation for 7 plus months is another, thank you thank you thank you great job....

No, Everyone...

Please don't encourage John. I love Carnival but this guy is his own biggest fan. He is not even close to being the best cruise director in Carnival's fleet. Please stop the insanity!

he is rated the number one cruise director by carnival guests he gets the highest ranking by far the best and rated in the cruise world as one of the top cruise director, he is a pro at what he does

Dont talk if you dont know a person . Excuse me no money pays for what John does. I was on the cruise he was supposed to be on vacation, his wife went he stayed on the ship. Why? he didnt wanted to dissapoint us. Do you know how many months hes been working almost 24/7 (he has taken only 2 days off) 7!!!. he doesnt know when he is finallly going to take his vacations . Why ?? Again he doesnt want to dissapoint many people.He works very late every day and he answer all our comments and many other things. Does he has too??? No ..... No money can pay that Excuse me.

.As a broadcaster and entertainer myself, he is defina-

tely a real pro...yes, he does repeat his bits with every cruise, because he has honed his craft over many years and knows what gets the big guffaws (the vast majority of every cruise are first time cruisers or first timers with John).

I found him somewhat less accessable "in the halls" as it were than some other CD's, but I have seen posts expressing different views on that.

As for his blog, it's pretty interesting and something he probably started as a lark and it exploded.

I have been going on 18 cruises, and he is one of the best on the seas; maybe not my number one favorite, but right up there.

Mitch

well said laura great job, the blog started out as a live update report from the ship back in february believe it or not, carnival or john had no idea what they were getting into, it was not marketing trip at all, it was done to give the people a live look from a cruise ship and the cruise director views. As of a few weeks ago over 600 people signed up thru the web site for the blog cruise with john we all must be suckers..just joking, the blog is the best thing ever to come out of carnival land it is so good and john adds so much to to it just like he does with anything he does, john actions and records speaks for itself. Do you know that john wouldnt go on vacation back in july because he wanted to keep the blog thing going and he didnt want to disapoint so many fans that booked the freedom and was looking forward to having him aboard the ship as cruise director over in europe. John i dont know how you did it bringing out a new ship is one thing, keep up with the blog is another then no going on vacation for 7 plus months is another, thank you thank you thank you great job....

How did you find the count for how many of us had signed up for John's cruise? 600! Has CC ever had one that large before? Wow! Impressive! Can't wait!

• 4 weeks later...
How did you find the count for how many of us had signed up for John's cruise? 600! Has CC ever had one that large before? Wow! Impressive! Can't wait!

I havebeen reading John's blog for most of this year and am sailing with him in January (sorry for me, NOT the blogger's cruise). I believe him to be very sincere and can't wait to meet him. I am very jealous you will be sailing with him! Apparently, Carnival's marekting rocks!

john wanted to say thank you to all the cruise critic fans and say thank you for the support since March, he will see everyone in january on the blog cruise.

his last posting

All Good Things

Jump to Comments Where do I start?

You know, a lot of people say to me how amazed they are that I can think of things to write about on the many blogs I have slapped on since the middle of March.

Honestly, that has never been a problem and I have never really had a moment when I cannot think of anything to write…………………until now.

This will be my last blog from the Carnival Freedom until my return in January. The blog will continue as I will tell you all about in a minute but today, the words are just not flowing ……………..I have blog constipation.

What I can tell you is that Todd Wittmer arrived today in a very cold Barcelona and he is the exact opposite of me………I don’t just mean he is ugly and I am not………………no…………I mean that he has the energy of a barrel of Red Bull while I………..well…………….look and feel………… like a barrel of ……….well, just the barrel actually.

Todd is a great guy and has some wonderful ideas for the crossing and beyond and tomorrow I will be spending the day going over everything with him. This means that he will be using the computer all day and hence………the last blog.

There will be constant blogs from home. What format they will take?….I haven’t a clue and who knows, maybe people won’t want to read them when I am off the vessel. One thing is for sure, I will keep you all updated on what is happening in the fleet as well as what Heidi and I are doing, etc. There will be guest interviews and apart from that…………there may be the odd blog about what I had for dinner and if I actually moved from in front of the television.

I will write a blog when I first get home and, of course, keep you all updated as to what happens at the coming Miami conference.

Thank you all for your comments and answers especially on the “anytime dining” issue. I have no idea if Carnival will ever consider changing but if they are they now have a basis on which to make their decision. Reading the comments I would say opinion is divided………..having never experienced anytime dining for myself I cannot comment but if it means you can go anytime ……meaning as many times a night as you want……….meaning more chances to eat……then I vote YES.

Now, please note the address of the blog thingy has changed. To make it easier for everyone, the Interactive Marketing Team has set up a new web address thingy that’s easy to remember and you can share with your friends, use www.johnhealdsblog.com …… thanks team, this is excellent and I am very grateful. Look out for a quick blog on Oct. 29 or 30 from home.

I am going to finish now, I could waffle on for ages about guests saying this and that and the weather and hats and me being in the doghouse again but I am delaying the inevitable.

The last 9 months have been some of the most rewarding of my career. The crew of the Carnival Freedom has performed magnificently and I am so proud to have been part of the beginning of this amazing ship’s life.

There have been the occasional guest who has ……….well………….you know provided me with great subject matter……….but 99.9% have walked off the gangway with happy memories of a great ship, brilliant crew and a true realization of why Carnival is The World’s Most Popular Cruise Line.

Then, there is the blog……………I have tried to share each experience with you………..the good, the bad and the ugly. Some of you have been with me from the start and a special thank you goes to each and every one of you. Then, to everyone who may have clicked on this blog thingy …………….thank you for taking your valuable time to do so…………..one million times!

This is not the end. It is just a new chapter of blog thingies and I hope that as and when I slap on a posting that some of you will take the time once again to read my humble musings about life, fun, friendship and this wonderful world of cruising.

We remain…………your friends……..always.

John and Heidi

Well mates another chapter ends but life does goes on. Thank you Heidi and John for giving us so much since March. I didn't post much on blog because if I had anything to said I said it direct to my dear friends with emails and a few phone calls I type this with tears in my eyes knowing it will not be the same day in and day out without this blog daily, but I will be counting the days until we meet again in January. I love you guys, you are the best husband and wife cruise director and asst cd team in the world. Todd has big footsteps to follow on the freedom but we wish him well. Thanks a million times and always remember you will never walk along. Robert Aka: Willy Banger/Dick Wooden. Have a Great Vacation John :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Speaking of the bf and sleeping arrangements, any recommendations on what I can do about his loud snoring? I want to relax!

Ear plugs! They have been a godsend when sharing a room with a snorer... or having very loud next door neighbors.

Smothering him with his pillow might get you kicked off the ship.... LOL!

where is everyone from cruise critic....dont forget john has a cocktail party for all bloggers the first day as you get on, right after the boat drill in big main lounge....see you there

rpsinnj,

How did you find out about the time and place of the cocktail party? I looked on the Carnival Connection site and did not find any info about it.

rpsinnj,

How did you find out about the time and place of the cocktail party? I looked on the Carnival Connection site and did not find any info about it.

it was posted a few days ago by john in his blog also about john being the cruise director, he was going to share thing with todd, now it is john

Archived