How Early Do You Start Packing???

SakeDad

And then there was the time that he decided I had too many shoes and left them all behind. I ended up wearing the flip flops I boarded with for the entire cruise. It's impossible to find size 11 womens shoes in most ports.

Thanks to genetics I wear a size 11 and thanks to whatever, I also have bunions so need a WW. I live in fear of my suitcase going astray and me being stuck in the shoes I wore on the airplane for the entire cruise. (Black, but not formal by any means.)

I always pack a formal pair and a pair of sandals in my carryon. We also cross pack so any other shoes I bring are split between our suitcases. I ALSO pack a bathing suit in my carryon because I'd HATE to buy one on the ship or in port.

About two weeks before the cruise, I pull out one of our suitcases and leave it open in our bedroom. Then things we don't need day-to-day but will need on the ship go in that until time to pack. We pack together the night before we leave so we can cross pack. My DH is very particular about his stuff (having traveled hundreds of thousands of miles for work). He prefers to pack his own things. And I'd never let him pack for me because he would also be one to leave my shoes at home!

What is wrong with shoes? I love shoes. :D DH thinks you can get by with runners, black dress shoes, and a pair of flip-flops--and he wears the runners on the airplane! It's not a weight issue, either, as because of his flying and flying and flying, we can take heavier luggage with us.

Robin

I start packing 'in my head' about 3 weeks before.....which formals I want to bring this time or what my basic colors will be.

I lay things out (or hang in a separate place) about 10 days ahead and our suitcases are normally fully packed and ready to go about 2 days ahead. I don't like to do things last minute.

I have a few last minute things I drop in our carryons but mostly everything is in the bags.

I do the same. I make a list so that I can mix and match as much as possible and save on space (more shoes fit in that way:D).

I also travel for business and I agree with SakeDad that it is quite easy to pack for a business trip and and much more fun to pack for a cruise.

I use packing cubes and love how they help keep me organized. DH has also become a fan.

I do the same. I make a list so that I can mix and match as much as possible and save on space (more shoes fit in that way:D).

I also travel for business and I agree with SakeDad that it is quite easy to pack for a business trip and and much more fun to pack for a cruise.

I use packing cubes and love how they help keep me organized. DH has also become a fan.

What are packing cubes Caviargal? Do you know of a link on the web where I can see a picture of them?

Thanks. :)

What are packing cubes Caviargal? Do you know of a link on the web where I can see a picture of them?

Thanks. :)

Mine are from ebags and I have three of each size:

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/packing_cubes_3pc_set/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=13032

I use the smallest for lingerie, and the larger for swimwear and coverups, another for workout wear (I bring a lot) and one for tops and Ts, as an example.

DH uses the smallest for underwear and socks, a larger one for shirts and another for shorts, etc.

What I really like is that not only is packing easy, unpacking is a breeze. Sometimes, on ships that have lots of shelves in lieu of drawers, I can slide the entire cube right on the shelf and live out of that.

I store them all within one of the cubes when not is use.

They are also great for trips to Europe, etc., where I really try to pack light and be organized.:)

Mine are from ebags and I have three of each size:

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/packing_cubes_3pc_set/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=13032

I use the smallest for lingerie, and the larger for swimwear and coverups, another for workout wear (I bring a lot) and one for tops and Ts, as an example.

DH uses the smallest for underwear and socks, a larger one for shirts and another for shorts, etc.

What I really like is that not only is packing easy, unpacking is a breeze. Sometimes, on ships that have lots of shelves in lieu of drawers, I can slide the entire cube right on the shelf and live out of that.

I store them all within one of the cubes when not is use.

They are also great for trips to Europe, etc., where I really try to pack light and be organized.:)

They look really great. They fit right in the suitcase? They look like something I really might be interested in getting. I am probably bringing way too many clothes for my cruise next month but this my first "real" cruise so I'm kind of new at this. :D

They look really great. They fit right in the suitcase? They look like something I really might be interested in getting. I am probably bringing way too many clothes in my cruise next month but this my first "real" cruise so I'm kind of new at this. :D

Yes, they fit right in and I put my shoes and miscellaneous items around them. They are crushable as well and take up virtually no space. I have also appreciated them when customs decides to open my luggage and my personal items are not there in full view:).

Practice makes perfect with packing. I have been travelling for a long time and, while I will not bother with all but my small packing cubes for a short trip (long weekend), I find them a real help for longer journies as well as cruises.

After reading these posts , yet another sub question would be

"Hown do you get all your stuff ready without a spare bedroom?" *LOL* :)

The few days before a cruise , ours looks like a clothing store , folded things stacked on the bed, things on hangers hung on door racks and door knobs.

If we didn't have the spare room we'd be sleeping on the couch in the den the week before a cruise *LOL*

OK....here's something I thought of today. How early do you start packing for your cruise?

Usually the night before I leave.

So, don't worry ... you're not the only one running behind. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks to genetics I wear a size 11 and thanks to whatever, I also have bunions so need a WW. I live in fear of my suitcase going astray and me being stuck in the shoes I wore on the airplane for the entire cruise. (Black, but not formal by any means.)

I always pack a formal pair and a pair of sandals in my carryon. We also cross pack so any other shoes I bring are split between our suitcases. I ALSO pack a bathing suit in my carryon because I'd HATE to buy one on the ship or in port.

Robin

Well I am sure we can appreciate eachother's situation if we get separated from our shoes. I hope to be cruising with you. ( BTW, I buy all my shoes on eBay).

After reading these posts , yet another sub question would be

"Hown do you get all your stuff ready without a spare bedroom?" *LOL* :)

The few days before a cruise , ours looks like a clothing store , folded things stacked on the bed, things on hangers hung on door racks and door knobs.

If we didn't have the spare room we'd be sleeping on the couch in the den the week before a cruise *LOL*

I can't imagine the chaos with your gang.

How about the dining room?

I can't imagine the chaos with your gang.

How about the dining room?

Dining room is where laundry gets folded when it first comes out (big table you know *LOL*) then immediately taken to the appropriate room.

Of course being Italian , the living room is NEVER to be used under any condition ,except to look at the pretty furniture. *LOL*

Archived