How Early Do You Start Packing???

SakeDad

OK....here's something I thought of today. How early do you start packing for your cruise?

The reason I thought of this (if anyone cares) is I leave on the cruise in two weeks, HOWEVER, I am still on the road for business until next weekend. This means I get home Monday (after being gone 6 weeks and missing the arrival of my docs:( so no doc dance) and leave Saturday for the cruise. I think I would have started to get things together by now which means I'm going to lose a weeks packing time:rolleyes: Granted I travel for a living and can pack 6 months of clothes for 4 seasons weather in one suitcase in about 3 hours....but that's WORK! I'm talking about the FUN type of packing for VACATION!!!:D When do YOU start???

I select my cruise wardrobe two days before departure. If there's any that need to be laundered or ironed, I do it on that day. Then, the day before departure, I pack. I've had friends who tell me that they start packing a week before departure. Whenever people feel the most comfortable doing so, that's when they should pack.:)

Donald.

I am so excited, maybe none of you know this feeling, I am flying up from the bottom of the world to sail from NY (can you believe this) but not till sept 18. I am already packing. What will the weather be like, do I need warm or what sort of clothes. Help! :D

My DW starts laying out things on the bed in a spare bedroom about 3 or 4 weeks early, but doesn't do the final 'pack' until the day before. For me it depends on the total length of the trip. For our two 10 day cruises in Europe with added nights on either end I started putting things in a bag about 3 days before departure day. For a shorter cruise sailing from a FL port I pack the day before!

Hey SakeDad, we will be joining you in Alaska aboard the Noordam. I have a packing list I have used for years for warm weather cruises and usually just pack the day before but we are really struggling with this one. Plus, we have always driven to the port so this time we have to deal with flying and a cold weather cruise. and I know nothing about packing smart! Any great tips you can share would be greatly appreciated.

I am so excited, maybe none of you know this feeling, I am flying up from the bottom of the world to sail from NY (can you believe this) but not till sept 18. I am already packing. What will the weather be like, do I need warm or what sort of clothes. Help! :D

Hi chivalrygirl. I can believe it - we are flying in August from Sydney to cruise from Copenhagen (via a stopover in New York). I am as excited as you. It is hard to believe that we will see the places that are on our itinerary. The planning is hard work but great fun! Enjoy.

Jennie

Nathan, I don't pack until the night before we leave home. I use packing lists. I have a basic core list that I tweak for where we're going (climate-wise) and for how long. I have saved every one of them, so it's easy to pick a list that will pretty well serve the purpose for my upcoming sailing. I just have to make minor adjustments for clothing I've discarded and clothing I've purchased.

Now, since I begin work on it months in advance and review it every 5 or 6 weeks, I guess in a sense I start packing (mentally, at least) almost as soon as I book the cruise! :cool:

I start thinking cruise wardrobe at least three weeks in advance. Then, about two weeks before, I start pulling out things and putting them in a spare room. they go into the suitcase a few days before. This usually involves taking some of the clothing and putting it back where it came from.

Weather in NY in Sept. can be very hot, 80's, or chilly in the 60's.You certainly won't go wrong with a light jacket. Bring layers and go on the internet before you leave to find out. If you don't have it available, then ask here and someone will get it for you.

I start packing 'in my head' about 3 weeks before.....which formals I want to bring this time or what my basic colors will be.

I lay things out (or hang in a separate place) about 10 days ahead and our suitcases are normally fully packed and ready to go about 2 days ahead. I don't like to do things last minute.

I have a few last minute things I drop in our carryons but mostly everything is in the bags.

We are also on a TA -18 nt cruise + 2 nts in Copenhagen on the Veendam in August. Weather seems to start in the 60s in Copenhagen, and falls down into the lower 50s on this itinerary - and then into NYC Sept 9, which might be in the mid 80s.... I have NEVER been on such a long vacation (10 days max!) and wonder how much to pack... :eek: After Alaska last Sept 07, I am bringing layers.... I think that is the key. In Alaska it was fairly consistently in the 50s-low 60s - overcast much of the time, amazing low clouds which just hang over the beautiful mountains. Took a light down coat w/hood as the top layer - worked out just fine. Brochure said bring waterproof boots.... never ever used them and they took up space... wouldn't bother. In Alaska, if your room doesn't come with binoculars, don't forget them! Beautiful scenery will pass by often. One litte aside: While I was jogging in the gym, by the windows, cruising down the Inside Passage, 3 dolphins were swimming aside the ship - where else can you ever have that experience!

I could NEVER wait until the night before. I'd be a wreck. I do DH's packing for him and I worry more about forgetting something he'll want or need than something of my own. As much as we cruise, as often as we go, I'm still slow about getting it done. :(

I could NEVER wait until the night before. I'd be a wreck. I do DH's packing for him and I worry more about forgetting something he'll want or need than something of my own. As much as we cruise, as often as we go, I'm still slow about getting it done. :(

I tried having Maria pack my stuff once. She's still laughing;)

I start planning, buying, etc. about 3 months ahead. I get the new toothbrushes, paste, travel size stuff and then gather up the items I take from cruise to cruise and place all in a big shopping bag in my closet. Gradually as I purchase small items, or get books re: travel, I add to the bag. About 3 weeks out, I start putting clothing for travel in one of our guests rooms......it becomes a "travel stuff only" room until cruise date arrives. Two weeks out I start packing with the list I have made well in advance, and by the time travel week arrives, I am packed and ready to really start getting excited. Takes long enough though. I really admire those of you who get it all done in such a short amount of time. I am thinking I need some tips from Krazy Kruizers. And maybe that means I need to travel more. :D gg

In some sense of the word I'm already packed.

I have a list of what to bring on my 35-day trans-At's, so it's simply a matter of printing it out and selecting what I need for shorter cruises. Some things are stored in the carry-on (like my medallion ;) ), so those are all set, too.

On longer cruises I start the previous weekend by putting in a few things at a time (that way it doesn't feel so much like "work"); on shorter cruises of 10-11 days I do it the day before.

Putting clothes, shoes, etc in the bag is easy; the thing that takes the most time is packing the jewelry! :eek: All those little bags.... :rolleyes:

I think what takes me the longest to pack are all the medicines I bring for in case.....I could probably supply the infirmary. If I have it with me, then I won't need it.

I also keep a list for cruising in my computer. I work out the outfits that way and then can pretty much figure what I'm taking before it leaves the closet.

As far as jewelry, this time I used small plastic baggies for that. I read it as a suggestion on the board and it really worked out great. You could see what was in the bag. Made it very easy to select what I wanted. However, on that note, each trip I bring less and less of that. Probably to make room for more meds.

I also find a place to put my suitcase up high so I don't have to bend over to pack it. Makes it easier on the back.

My friend laughs at my traveling pharmacy too, until she needs the Immodium or a band-aid.

I'm one who believes half the fun is in preparing, so as soon as I've decided where to go, I start making lists, reading, packing, etc. I leave May 20 and I've been packing for weeks. And I'm still adding to the pile.

Type A personality here……….I am already packed for our Alaska May 2008 cruise. :eek:

Terry

LOL, me to, but I didn't know so far out that was what I would be doing, packed in January as soon as we booked for September.....:D

John,

When you live in the Pacific Northwest.....born and raised in Seattle....one is always ready for cool, overcast and WET weather. ;)

Terry

Must be just like Auckland, City of Sails, four seasons all in one day :)

Archived