How Early Do You Start Packing???

SakeDad

Hi chivalrygirl. I can believe it - we are flying in August from Sydney to cruise from Copenhagen (via a stopover in New York). I am as excited as you. It is hard to believe that we will see the places that are on our itinerary. The planning is hard work but great fun! Enjoy.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

Glad I am not the only nutter downunder, yes its very exciting, you will just love Copenhagen and the rest. To sail out of NY was a childhood dream, and its about to materialise. August will soon be upon us, I hope you have a great trip also :D

Val

I start thinking cruise wardrobe at least three weeks in advance. Then, about two weeks before, I start pulling out things and putting them in a spare room. they go into the suitcase a few days before. This usually involves taking some of the clothing and putting it back where it came from.

Weather in NY in Sept. can be very hot, 80's, or chilly in the 60's.You certainly won't go wrong with a light jacket. Bring layers and go on the internet before you leave to find out. If you don't have it available, then ask here and someone will get it for you.

Thanks for that Carol, we are actually flying into DC to our son 2 weeks prior to going up to NY, and spending a few days in NJ also, I think we are going to travel light and if we need something we might just buy it, its such a pain flying long distances with too much luggage. Ah here is a thought, what about travelling on Amtrak with rather large suitcases? Will we have a problem with that ?

Val

I do DH's packing for him ...
This brings up another sub-question. How many DWs do the packing for their DHs? Copper 10-8 and I are in the same place here. I have NEVER had my DW pack my things. That way I can't rag on her for forgetting something inportant of mine! :D

Another DW here that does her DH's packing. He is on the road all the time, and will get home barely in time to make our flight. He keeps his work suitcase packed with work clothes, plops that off in the closet, and then is employed as my pack mule for the already packed cruise suitcases. ;)

We leave in less than 3 weeks, and am currently sorting and arranging my "piles" in the spare bedroom right now.

Going through all my stuff with my nosey cat making "nests" in everything. Guess I will be bringing some extra cat hair along, as not to forget her. :rolleyes: She also makes sure I am taking her framed photo along for the trip. :)

Cheers! :)

She does her own packing and then still complains that she didn't pack everything she needed.....and somehow it's my fault. :cool: Outta be a bounty....never mind....she just read this over my shoulder. :mad:

Terry

This brings up another sub-question. How many DWs do the packing for their DHs? Copper 10-8 and I are in the same place here. I have NEVER had my DW pack my things. That way I can't rag on her for forgetting something inportant of mine! :D

:D You hit right on it, Jim.

We have a firm agreement..... The first time he complains that I brought this shirt rather than that one or nags about which belts I chose, is the last time I do his packing for him. We've been on well over 100+++ vacations of one sort or another, I have always done his packing and the only time he had a legitimate complaint is the time we traveled to Michigan for a wedding. I brought his tux, tie, cummerbund etc but forgot his tux shirt. :( Thankfully, we were staying at a fabulous boutique hotel with a great concierge who sent a fellow out to buy one for us at a nearby tuxedo rental store.

DH knows to leave me alone when I am repacking for us to come home. He is more than happy to spend the afternoon at the pool while I am in the cabin packing. :)

She does her own packing and then still complains that she didn't pack everything she needed.....and somehow it's my fault. :cool: Outta be a bounty....never mind....she just read this over my shoulder. :mad:

Terry

:D Well, it probably was your fault. See how we ladies stick together.

IF you had reminded her, she wouldn't have forgotten to bring whatever it was. See..... it WAS your fault!!! :)

I start packing (shopping) as soon I have booked the cruise. We our cruising 4/08 Circle Hawaii and I booked the cruise 7 months ago!! So I have a few things packed away already!

:D Well, it probably was your fault. See how we ladies stick together.

IF you had reminded her, she wouldn't have forgotten to bring whatever it was. See..... it WAS your fault!!! :)

Terry, let it go............losing battle!;)

Shopping starts 3-4 months prior, gathering things together starts about 6 weeks ahead & packing starts about 2-3 weeks ahead..

DH & I pack together..I usually choose his dress shirts, daytime & evening wear..So he doesn't feel left out he chooses his under ware, PJ's, Shoes & Socks..LOL..

If I left all the packing up to him, he would take a small bag plus his tux & sports jacket, for 25 days & then complain that he was short of clothes..As it is he complains that I bring too much..;) Today, I booked the Rental Vans for our Nov. trip & he reminded me that I must cut down on my shoes..:(

In any event, our Guest Room becomes our packing room & is off limits about 6 weeks prior to "D" Day..That's when the portable clothes rack goes up & things begin piling up on the bed..Will make up a new list with the new itinerary (all in the computer) & list the outfits for each evening complete with shoes & Jewelry..Could never find anything in my black opaque jewelry case so broke down & purchased a brand new one with 36 Clear pockets from QVC..Hope it fits in the safe..

Have 2 fold up hanging cases with 5 clear pockets, which are always packed & are filled with occasionally used bathroom supplies such as aspirin, band aids, cold pills, etc.. The always needed bathroom supplies, make-up & prescriptions go into our carry-ons..

Suitcases come out about 2-3 weeks before & each item is checked off the list as it is packed... Dress clothes go in the day before..Will combine our clothes in each bag, so if one is lost we'll still have things to wear..

DH insists on helping me un-pack on the Ship & almost always picks up something & asks.."Now what did you bring this for";)

Happy Packing everyone..:) Betty

DH and I pack separately, with the following results - the longer I take to pack, the less I pack. The longer he takes to pack, the more he packs. I consolidate, he prepares for all contingencies.

For our last cruise - Auckland to Sydney - I planned for a couple of months at least and packed a week ahead, but we were in the opposite season and gone for almost a month. Our next cruise is two weeks off, Seattle round trip to Alaska, and since we've had a cold, wet spring in Central Oregon I'm wearing most of what I'll bring (except formal clothes:D). I'll probably pack the day before we leave.

Instead of packing, I find myself looking at the little space on the deck plan that represents our cabin and imagine what it will be like. Is this a common ritual like a document dance or am I the only person who wastes time like this?

Trish

have to say i think i start packing as soon as i book the cruise. start shopping looking for deals on clothes. about 3 weeks out everything i bought goes on the bed and outfits get matched up. one week out i do it again and start making that pile smaller then it goes in the suitcase. then the morning we leave the garment bag gets folded up and off we go. :D

dh tries to pack himself. then we go over what he is taking tweak it, i fold it and pack it.

Fun question.......

Another one:

I wonder how many DH's pack for their DW? :D :eek:

I don't start packing until the day before we leave. Our guest bedroom is used as our "packing room". All my clothes for formal nights are stored in the closet as well as out of season clothes so I just go throught the process of elimination, taking as much as I need, depending on the the length of the cruise. My toiletries are always ready--that bag is replenished when we come home from a vacation.

As for my DH--I always fold his shirts so I don't have to press or send them out. He does all the rest himself.

Our next cruise is on the Jan. 13th sailing of the Veendam--2 weeks in the southern Caribbean. Have done this itinerary before and looking forward to the same trip again.

We usually lay out our clothes together and pack together but I don't pick out hs clothes!

I do have a bag in my closet that I "collect" cruise items in. Usually things like disposable water camera, toiletries, and misc stuff we use on a cruise. I usually make up an itinerary and from that make a packing list. Once I've laid out the clothes I try to pare it down a bit. I always overpack! At least on the Eurodam we won't have take our snorkel stuff! :)

Does any one experience this problem? Packing to leave the ship seems to take me a lot longer than packing to get on the ship! I know I pick up stuff but try to leave room on the outbound trip and I usually take a fold-up suitcase, just in case.

It's seems I spend most of the last day packing!

Thank you so much for saying that. I truly thought I was the only one that took a full afternoon to pack us up to go home. I am so slow about it. You'd think after all the dozens and dozens of cruises, I'd be more proficient.

Almost all of our clothes are clean as they have gone to the ship's laundry so I pack them as carefully going home as coming. Also, I can't stand the idea of some stranger handling my clothes so everything goes in a dry cleaner bag or baggie depending upon the size of the garments........ If TSA needs to open our suitcase for a check, I like knowing everything is wrapped in plastic.

My DH cannot understand how it can take me hours to pack to go home. Sometimes, I don't understand it either. :) Of course, some of that time has to do with the amount of things we've brought. I've never been accused of 'traveling light'. :D

Let's turn it around. How many DW let their DH do their packing? Packing is not the same as selecting.

My DH repacks both DD's and my luggage. And then there was the time that he decided I had too many shoes and left them all behind. I ended up wearing the flip flops I boarded with for the entire cruise. It's impossible to find size 11 womens shoes in most ports. It cured me of taking too many shoes but I always double check now and most likely have a spare in my carry-on.

And then there was the time that he decided I had too many shoes and left them all behind.
And you're still married???? :D He's one gutsy fella! I'd never risk my life doing such a thing!

Nice that he packs for you, though.

And you're still married???? :D He's one gutsy fella! I'd never risk my life doing such a thing!

Nice that he packs for you, though.

27 years, this year.........

I consider this the occasional passive-aggressive experience of marraige. He thought I packed way too many shoes and in his own way, let me know. I do not think he took into consideration that I would not be able to buy another pair, in one of the ports. All in, it was darn funny and he got to accompany the one and only, on the formal nights, going flip-flop, as we walked the ship.

Our next cruise will be just our third, but we shop for whatever new items we plan to take several weeks or even months ahead. A couple of weeks before we leave, we make lists of what we'll wear each day, and the weekend before we leave, the suitcases come out and the ironing board goes up in the spare bedroom. This is the one (and only) time I actually enjoy ironing! I iron everything that needs it and leave items that will go into the suit bags hanging in the spare closet until the night before we leave. In the meantime, we start loading the suitcases, checking off the lists as we go. I do the prep work, but in our house, packing suitcases is strictly a self-service operation.:D

Archived