Pearl Info

redfish01

Hello all !!!! A few questions about the Pearl.

We are on the July 1st Alaska voyage. We (2 adults 2 children 7&10) are very exited. The kids have never cruised. The wife & I have. A few questions.

1) We arrive in port @7am. Is a 11:30 am flight to early? Seattle airport

2) Kids clubs onboard?

3) Mini-Suite pics (Can Find any)

4) Have not picked room yet. Any Suggestions? Deck 11

Im sure I will have more, thanks in advance!!!!

Any other tips/advice would help!!!!

We are on the July 1st Alaska voyage. We (2 adults 2 children 7&10) are very exited. The kids have never cruised. The wife & I have. A few questions.

2) Kids clubs onboard?

3) Mini-Suite pics (Can Find any)

4) Have not picked room yet. Any Suggestions? Deck 11

Im sure I will have more, thanks in advance!!!!

Any other tips/advice would help!!!!

I will only comment on #1... I think that might be pushing it for a 11:30am flight...

11:30am flight means not later than 10:45 at the gate

10:45 at the gate means 10:00 arrival at security (allowing for lines)

So, is it possible? Yes.

Will you be stressed out? Probably.

If there's a later flight you can book should you? I would say yes

The is only one security line for all of the airlines at SeaTac airport. When you have 3 ships in port with all those passengers leaving on top of the normal everyday flights, it can take about an hour to go thru security. If you have e-checkin at the airport that will help. If you are taking SW airlines or Alaska that can take awhile for e-checkin. If you are taking United, you have to take an underground train to the concourse for your flight. So 11:30 is questionable. Ask NCL what is there recommended time for flights out of Seattle.:)

We were in 11562 on the Pearl, almost mid-ship, mini-suite. We found this to be a perfect location. Centrally located and easy to get to from either FWD or AFT of ship. Short walk to the Garden Cade in the morning for breakfast. Sorry, no pictures on this PC I'm on today, but the room was terrific. Good size, plenty of storage space (drawers, shelves, and closet).:)

I booked the 11:30 Flight. Wish me luck. NCL said its pushing it, but could be done. They said be sure I show my flight info upon check in. This would help in getting us off the ship erlier.

Any Kids Club reviews?

We decided on room # 11040 July 1st sailing the "Pearl"

Thanks to those that posted. I'm sure I will have more questions.

We did the Star to Alaska in 2005. (exact same itinerary as the Pearl this year.) We had a 1:30 p.m. flight and barely made it.

The problem is not NCL, it is SEATAC airport. It is a nightmare on cruise mornings!

We too arrived at 7:00 a.m., but because they have to clear customs and other details they don't begin disembarking passengers until about 8:15 or so.

We were in the second color group and fifth group overall off the ship (after VIP, Express Disemebarkation, NCL Tour, and the first color group.) We got to the street abou 9:15 and we were to Seatac (Seattle Tacoma International Airport) by 9:45 and that is where the fun began since there are at least three cruise ships disembarking those mornings. It took us 20 minutes to get up the drop off location. Then we stood in line at the airline counter for at least 90 minutes. It was easily 11:45 before we even headed to the security checkpoint. Another 45 minutes through the checkpoint. (as pointed out above, there is only one security checkpoint for all the airlines and the line is quite long and slow in the mornings.). It was 12:30 before we got through and we had to walk all the way to the very last gate in the terminal for our flight. We walked up to the gate area about 1:00 p.m. for a 1:30 flight.

Just our story. NCL may say you will make it, but they don't know what the conditions will be like at SeaTac.

We did the Star to Alaska in 2005. (exact same itinerary as the Pearl this year.) We had a 1:30 p.m. flight and barely made it.

The problem is not NCL, it is SEATAC airport. It is a nightmare on cruise mornings!

We too arrived at 7:00 a.m., but because they have to clear customs and other details they don't begin disembarking passengers until about 8:15 or so.

We were in the second color group and fifth group overall off the ship (after VIP, Express Disemebarkation, NCL Tour, and the first color group.) We got to the street abou 9:15 and we were to Seatac (Seattle Tacoma International Airport) by 9:45 and that is where the fun began since there are at least three cruise ships disembarking those mornings. It took us 20 minutes to get up the drop off location. Then we stood in line at the airline counter for at least 90 minutes. It was easily 11:45 before we even headed to the security checkpoint. Another 45 minutes through the checkpoint. (as pointed out above, there is only one security checkpoint for all the airlines and the line is quite long and slow in the mornings.). It was 12:30 before we got through and we had to walk all the way to the very last gate in the terminal for our flight. We walked up to the gate area about 1:00 p.m. for a 1:30 flight.

Just our story. NCL may say you will make it, but they don't know what the conditions will be like at SeaTac.

SeaTac is the worse major airport in America when it comes to security, access and potentially long walks to the remote terminals, imho. You would think the city that builds more than half the jetliners in the world would have a better airport. Not:(

good luck, on the star last sept...

no one started getting off the ship until after 9pm. don't know what the hold up was but everything was an hour late getting off the ship.

big line for taxis, some people were waiting for 30 mins or more.

if you got off right at 9pm, get your luggage..stand in line for a taxi..20 to 30 mins to the airport...you might make it to check in by 10..but that's a lot of IFs. between 9am to 10:30am the port was a mad house...not NCL's fault, seemed to be NOT enough porters and taxis.

they are right about the long walk to every gate.

Hi,

We were on the Pearl in April and our 2 kids ages 8 and 11 loved the kids club. The counselors were great and kept the kids occupied and active. There were a couple of at sea days that we kept them out to rock climb and bowl. Don't worry the kids will have a great time. The Pearl is a fantastic ship with a lot to do. Enjoy your cruise!

I agree with the others saying that trying to make the 11:30 flight is going to be very hard. SeaTac requests that you arrive at the airport 2 hours prior to your flight time. With 3 cruise ships arriving at the same time that morning, there will be long (very long) lines getting to the airport and through security.

This would not be a fun way to end a wonderful cruise! Change your flight to later in the afternoon and take your time and enjoy a leisurely breakfast onboard before disembarking and heading to the airport.

SeaTac is the worse major airport in America when it comes to security, access and potentially long walks to the remote terminals, imho. You would think the city that builds more than half the jetliners in the world would have a better airport. Not:(

When was the last time you were at LAX, JFK, or Miami? I don't care how much more they charge to fly into Orange County as it is worth every cent to avoid LAX.

I don't understand why people say there is only 1 security line? There are 3 and you can go through any of them as the terminals are all connected beyond security. The lines are still long when you have 3 large cruise ships all docking at the same time.

!!!

We were on the pearl 3 weeks ago(hi Sabrina!..Nurse4heartkids)

we arrived at the port 9am, we were held on board until 10. 15 am they announced customs clearance, we had vip disembark tickets,(MINI SUITE does not get this) and we could not get off till 11.30 !!

a total disaster...BEWARE ..you may very well miss your plane, a LOT DID on our cruise..and rightly so, they were hostile.

we had a private shuttle booked and had to wait 45 mins at the port for that as well......they had been and gone, and had to come back.

I found this link on cruiseclues dot com:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=10q6e9zr.bhbwzg83&Uy=ksu8uk&Ux=0

If the link doesn't work, go to cruiseclues dot com and then click onto the NCL Pearl where you will find several terrific links to all sorts of info on the ship. We're in a minisuite this September - not only is the mini shown here, but all of the other staterooms as well.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Ciao,

W A W W

Ever reading these posts, I'm also a little worried about making my plane on time. We have a 1pm departure out of SeaTac, with a private shuttle taking us to the airport at 10:30am. Haven't flown out of this airport in a few years so can I drop my luggage off at the curb or do I need to go inside to the counter? I understand Delta has luggage pick up at the port-would this help matters? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ever reading these posts, I'm also a little worried about making my plane on time. We have a 1pm departure out of SeaTac, with a private shuttle taking us to the airport at 10:30am. Haven't flown out of this airport in a few years so can I drop my luggage off at the curb or do I need to go inside to the counter? I understand Delta has luggage pick up at the port-would this help matters? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey Baileybeau - we too have a 1pm departure on 7/1/07 (we're on the 6/24 sailing of the Pearl). I'm not worried about that departure time...and that's why I have travel insurance! :D So I don't have to worry about it! Now 11:30 I might be a bit concerned over, but 1pm I think is fine.

Baileybeau, I found this info on the Sea-Tac website:

"3. Is curbside check-in available?

Yes, for domestic passengers only. Several airlines charge a $2 per bag fee for this service. The fee does not include the tip."

We made it off the Pearl and to LAX for 12:30 flight with time to spare Sunday (7AM arrival and at the airport about 10AM) no Problem but we were the only ship in port that day. A lot of rushing around and waiting. During the cruise they offered a deal for $15 per person that they would take your bags, check them in at the airport for you, print boarding passes, etc and bring you to the airport. Great deal and was for several airlines but not Southwest. I would have jumped at the chance not to wait in line with luggage and then bring it in to Xray machine but we were flying SW. :( We paid $17 each plus a tip for a shuttle. If I were you I would check with them to see if this will be an option which would save you a lot of time if the bus would be leaving the ship on time. They also offer express which gets you off the ship 1st but you would need to carry all your bags off the ship with you. With 7 bags that was not an option for us. :o

Star7228 and Brunolvr,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I do have travel insurance and worst case scenario- that's what it's there for. I will pay extra so I don't have to wait in a line inside terminal to check baggage. Curbside check in is so much easier. Only a few more days til the Pearl sets sail for Alaska. CAN'T WAIT!! Happy cruising to you both.

They also offer express which gets you off the ship 1st but you would need to carry all your bags off the ship with you. With 7 bags that was not an option for us. :o

we took the express option (as we were told it was quicker than vip debarkation, which we could have used, as the brochure said "just go down the lift and walk off...wrong!!") they locked the lifts so we stood on the stairs with hundreds of others who took that option , and had to carry all luggage down six flights of stairs (as I quoted before..we could not get off till 11.30 !!

a total disaster...BEWARE ..you may very well miss your plane, a LOT DID on our cruise)

Kathy, after you got off (Dave and Rich were off at 7:45am) the line stopped at customs. Passengers that carried off their luggage were still in line at 9:00am and stopped at customs. Customs were inspecting all luggage at that point for US citizens. No idea why. At the luggage rooms Customs brought in the dogs and were pulling bags. It was crazy.

At SEATAC in Feb we were there for work and what a mess. Took us 2 hours to get through security and to the gate. Not to count the hour checking luggage. I would choose a later flight. :)

On our cruise in 2005 to Alaska, we flew out Delta. It appeared our line was the longest of any airline. Oh and the curbside service....someone said the line for that was about 30 minutes!

Again, please remember, if anything happens and you miss the flight, don't blame NCL. The blame would fall to SeaTac.

Also, wasn't there a story last summmer about the Star passengers being held for 3 hours after docking so that customs could check the papers for all of the crew before allowing anyone to disembark?

Thanks Again for all the great info !!!! I am working on changing our flight, but the reason I chose the 11:30 is the next flight is at 11:45 pm. That would put us back in Dallas @ 5:30 am. I am using Alaska Airlines Miles from my Bank of America Debit card. 4 Flights for about 350 bucks you cant beat that. Non Stop.

I do have travel insurance. Does it cover missed flights?

Thanks for the pics of the mini-suites :)

I can only contribute on the kids club question - we just sailed the Pearl and our 4 and 6 year olds LOVED the kids crew! They had a lot of really fun activities and they were thrilled to go to the club every night rather than sit through a long dinner. Only warning, people really line up as soon as the club opens - it was open from 9a-noon, 2-5p and 7-10p. It took awhile to check the kids in everytime, as people were very prompt with getting there right when it opened!

Archived