egypt visa

kdowneymd

I am somewhat confused about the need for a Visa in Egypt. We have a tour booked with DeCAstro for our one day visit to Alexandria. We arrive on a Royal Caribbeam ship. I thought that the ship took care of the Visa but now after reading the cruise documents believe we may be better off (ie waste less time in the mornign) if we arrange for our Visa before leaving the US. Do we actually need a Visa for our one day visit. Is the issuance of a Visa just a quick formality when leaving the ship or is it a complex task. Thank-you for any information

You do need a visa to enter Egypt. Ours was arranged on our ship. We sailed on Crystal. There was no waiting on it and the cost we reasonable. If you can get yours on the ship, that's what I would do in order to avoid having to mail your passport either to an agency or directly to the embassy for fear that it can get lost.

If it was me I would call the cruise line. Normally, there is a special deparment to talk with about it.

Keith

I plan on getting my own visa for Egypt. I wouldn't depend on the ship getting one. Here is a couple links that may help. I also have a tour with DeCastro in October. But have to wait until just three months before. If you get it sooner than that it will expire.

Delores

http://www.egy2000.com/ft40l.html

http://roadtoegypt.com/information/visas_passports.htm

I plan on getting my own visa for Egypt. I wouldn't depend on the ship getting one. Here is a couple links that may help. I also have a tour with DeCastro in October. But have to wait until just three months before. If you get it sooner than that it will expire.

Delores

http://www.egy2000.com/ft40l.html

http://roadtoegypt.com/information/visas_passports.htm

If the ship gets it I would just go that route. If they don't I wouldn't. I was just on a 109 day World Cruise and the ship got us about nine different visa while we were on board and it was totally transparent to us. There were two that could not be secured during the voyage which we knew about several months before and we used the cruise lines visa service to take care of it. But, if the cruise line tells you they can do this on board that is the way to go so you avoid mailing your passports back and forth which has the risk of getting lost.

Egypt was one of several that the ship got for us during our cruise.

Keith

We wrote before going on cruise the Egyptian Embassy in Berlin and have been told that there is for cruiser a special rule that you get it before leaving Alexandria.

We had the impression that this was already done the night before we left for Alexandria.

So we had about 20 USD on our shipaccount and no problem to get on our shore excursion.

For the worst case we asked our independent tour operator to release a letter of garantuee as stated in the Egytian law.

But nobody asked for!

Regards,

HeinBloed

I have a tour arranged with Memphis tours. I wrote them and asked about the Visa situation. Their reply was:

Concerning Visa, if all your group were traveling with American passports they will get visa at the port - no need to be worry at all - it is so easy - as we have arranged a lot of shore excursions before to a lot of clients and they took it upon arrival already - so do not be worry Jill, all of you will be most welcome.

I have a tour arranged with Memphis tours. I wrote them and asked about the Visa situation. Their reply was:

Concerning Visa, if all your group were traveling with American passports they will get visa at the port - no need to be worry at all - it is so easy - as we have arranged a lot of shore excursions before to a lot of clients and they took it upon arrival already - so do not be worry Jill, all of you will be most welcome.

We can confirm regarding Memphis Tours:

they give us the letter of garantuee we requested according to Egyptian Law. But none asked for to release the visa.

Therefore they are right: no need to panic: the ship will take care of it!

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and got a visa at the New York consulate after being told by both Royal Caribbean (both Crown and Anchor society and the cruise excursion desk)and the Egyptian consulate that one would be needed. It was a painless procedure, very quick and only $15 each. This way, even if they can be obtained in port we will nt have to wait in a line (hopefully)

No idea how RCI worked it out:

MusAlexErsterBlick-vi.jpg

There was NO LINE to access Alexandria once you had your visa.

All passports were collected by the Purser's office.

The night before we berthed at Alexandria our passports were delivered to our staterooms with the turn-over-service and the Good-Night-chocolate and everything was managed by the ship.

When we left our ship for the shore excursions there were few immigration agents having a look to the passport at the with little building at the fence... but no line... it was so smooth.

Our embassy asked us if we are cruisers. As we said yes: special regulation for cruisers on shore excursion applied.

But now you are safe.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Got it:

From website of Egyptian Embassy in Berlin:

Foreigners arriving in Egypt on board of ships are granted a permission to visit the country for 24 hours and catch their ship at the same port. They may also be granted a permission to enter for a visit not exceeding a period of three days before catching their ship at the port of arrival or at any other port.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Dear Traveler

Kindly note that based on the Updated info ,you will be able to get the visa entry stamp on your Cruise as your visit to Egypt will be short , and to be on the safe side i recommend the following ,

1- contact the Egyptian embassy in your country

2- contact the travel agent who issued your Ship trip

3- contact the Ship office directly

wish you enjoy your trip to Egypt

Regards

Travel adviser

Archived