Just back from the Triumph! (eastern)

djo631

Just returned from the Triumph (eastern) on 5/12! My family and I had a great time.

Does anyone have any questions? I'll answer to the best of my ability.

I'll post a review as soon as things settle down around the house.

Mark

I see conflicting opinions on the physical condition of the ship. Can you give your opinion? Did you smell the sewage smell some are reporting? I'm considering booking the Triumph but wondering if one should wait until it has had a dry dock?

Thanks

I see conflicting opinions on the physical condition of the ship. Can you give your opinion? Did you smell the sewage smell some are reporting? I'm considering booking the Triumph but wondering if one should wait until it has had a dry dock?

Thanks

Mikel1733,

I found the ship to be in great shape! I never once smelled anything resembling a sewer smell while on board. Book it now! Its a great ship.!

Mark

Hi, I was on the same cruise as the op. I did notice a sewer smell a couple of times. But, it wasn't everywhere and it certainly wasn't all the time. Not a big deal. The ship is in good shape and they were always cleaning!

Would love to know the following:

1) Which nights were formal nights?

2) When was the past guest party?

3) What did you do in the ports? What would you recommend?

4) How was the entertainment? (did you visit the piano bar? how was the cruise director?)

5) Confirming blow dryer is in the bathroom and not in vanity drawer? And that you had the soap/shampoo dispenser in shower?

6) Can you also describe radio/music channels on the Triumph?

Thanks!

Froufie:cool:

Thanks

I would recommend the Glory, Valor, Conquest or Liberty and even the Victory over the Triumph. The Ship needs lots of mechanical repairs. You would be more comfortable on the newer ships. The cost is about the same so go for the one of the modern ships in the fleet. The Triumph is like driving a 1999 Car with a hundred thousands miles on it. It's a beautifull ship but needs help.

I have done 10 Carnival Cruises...that's my 2 cents worth.

Would love to know the following:

1) Which nights were formal nights?

2) When was the past guest party?

3) What did you do in the ports? What would you recommend?

4) How was the entertainment? (did you visit the piano bar? how was the cruise director?)

5) Confirming blow dryer is in the bathroom and not in vanity drawer? And that you had the soap/shampoo dispenser in shower?

6) Can you also describe radio/music channels on the Triumph?

Thanks!

Froufie:cool:

1) Formal nights were Monday (day at sea) and Thursday (Grand Turk)

2) Past guest party was on Wednesday (I think)

3) Ports. Wow almost too much to write here. HMC - Rented a cabana and had a great time on the beach and in the water, it is just too gorgeous to describe. Disappointed with the cabanna tho, missing a curtain, only 8 sodas for 6 people (cost was $219 for 4 people plus $45 per extra person), misters did not work well, tendering took what seemed to be a long time. St. Thomas - deep sea fishing with dad and dad-in-law, wife and moms went shopping and liked it. San Juan - Did private tour with a company that sits right outside the dock (San Juan tours I think). I enjoyed this very much, saw historical sights, brief tour of the capitol building. Grand Turk - Not much here. Shopping area just off pier, beach area right off the pier, nice pool at Margaritaville.

4) Entertainment - Several nice shows. One comedian was Eddie Capone, the "Godfather of Comedy". He was hilarious in his "clean" show, but we did not get to see his adult show the next evening because it was placed for some reason in the much smaller Club Rio (Deck 5 aft) instead of the main Rome lounge. CD is Paul Santley. He was so awesome. He is very funny and keeps you entertained. I have never seen the famous John Heald, but I cannot imagine that he is better than Paul.

5) Blow dryer is on the wall in the bathroom.

6) Music is standard pop music. I didnt listen to it too much. It wasnt like calypso music or anything like that.

Hope this helps

Mark :)

John makes you laugh everyday until you are bent over your seat in pain! John reminds me of the great Johnny Carson. He could put on a great show without ever needing a guest on stage.

San Juan - Did private tour with a company that sits right outside the dock (San Juan tours I think). I enjoyed this very much, saw historical sights, brief tour of the capitol building..........

Hope this helps

We're doing this cruise in September. Did you book the private tour in San Juan ahead of time, or did you decide to take a tour once you got to the pier. What was the cost of this particular tour?

I have been on Glory, Victory, and Triumph. I found the Triumph to be in as good a shape as the other two. Of course she is older than her sisters, but when I was on her last year, I found her to be clean, mechanically sound, and with a character that is all her's. As far as a sewer smell, I was all over that that ship from bow to stern and top to bottom, and never once noticed it.

She's a fine old gal, and i'm sure you would enjoy her as much as we did.

I have been on Glory, Victory, and Triumph. I found the Triumph to be in as good a shape as the other two. Of course she is older than her sisters, but when I was on her last year, I found her to be clean, mechanically sound, and with a character that is all her's. As far as a sewer smell, I was all over that that ship from bow to stern and top to bottom, and never once noticed it.

She's a fine old gal, and i'm sure you would enjoy her as much as we did.

Glad to hear! We are sailing on Triumph in June. Our only other cruise was on Celebrity's Constellation which is a gorgeous ship. Know not to compare the two since Connie is newer and more expensive to sail on. Looking forward to experiencing Carnival!

I'm expecting a little wear and tear. After all she's 8 or 9 years old, but I expect her to be a nice ship. HMC and Grand Turk are new ports for me, so they should be a treat.

Our previous cruises were on 2 Fantasy class ships which are probably older than the Triumph. I, too, expect her to be a nice ship. We did not choose our cruise for the newest ship. It was based on the price & itinerary.

The whole cruise will be a treat for us; larger ship than previously cruised with a balcony & never been to the E Carib.

1) - deep sea fishing with dad and dad-in-law, Hope this helps

djo please tell me:

1)How was the deep sea fishing?

2)Did you catch anything?

3)How was that boat ride?

4)How far out did you all go?

5)Was there a cheaper tour than the one Carnival offer?

Thanks for your help. We are seriously considering this excursion for our July cruise.:)

I am looking forward to going on the Triumph again! We did notice a smell on deck 6 midship, but I wont let that bother me. I just asked our TA not to book us anywhere near that area this time.

Did you have to do customs in St. Thomas? We have been there the last two cruises on the first one we didnt but on the second we did.

John makes you laugh everyday until you are bent over your seat in pain! John reminds me of the great Johnny Carson. He could put on a great show without ever needing a guest on stage.
Well, I agree, but unfortunately he's not on the Triumph now. He can't be on every ship (unless Carnival figures out a way to clone him). ;)

We've been on several Carnival ships and Triumph is one of our favorites. We'll be back on her for the third time next month and, while we booked this particular cruise mainly for the new itinerary, we are looking forward to being back on the Triumph.

I am looking forward to going on the Triumph again! We did notice a smell on deck 6 midship, but I wont let that bother me. I just asked our TA not to book us anywhere near that area this time.

Did you have to do customs in St. Thomas? We have been there the last two cruises on the first one we didnt but on the second we did.

Everyone has to go through immigration in St. Thomas because the first stop is Half Moon Cay which is Bahamas. Not a big deal, just stand in line and show passport or birth certificate and picture id. Line was long, but once they started, it moved really fast.

The smells were only in the one area, it wasnt really a sewer smell. I did notice that the room service trays were returned there it could have been from that. We never noticed much wear and tear but then again we werent looking for it either. It wont make or break my cruise, I am not there for the decor of the ship i am there for the fun and relaxation. :D

We didnt mind the immigration lines, there didnt seem to be too long of a line since we are Canadian. I know the line for the U.S. citizens was much longer, my SIL was in that line. I just wondered if we had to go through it on this cruise since one we did and the other we didnt. Hmmm I think the first one we didnt because we went to San Juan first?? and the second we went to Nassau first.....

We are sailing on the Triumph in July. All of the ships we have been on are beautiful and the dining is great. We decided on the Triumph because of the itinerary - HMC, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. This time we decided because of the ports. 4 ports is a plus to us and we are beach/snorkle people. Those fun days at sea are boring IMHO. Well one or two are OK.

We leave out this Saturday! I had heard with leaving grand turk so late it is hard getting ready for the 2nd formal night...were there alot of people dressed up or more casual because of the late departure?

Archived