Just back from the Triumph! (eastern)

djo631

We leave out this Saturday! I had heard with leaving grand turk so late it is hard getting ready for the 2nd formal night...were there alot of people dressed up or more casual because of the late departure?
I was just thinking that too. Not that I am a high maintenance gal, but I guess I'd still have to get on the boat earlier to get ready for dinner whether it was a formal night or not.

We sailed the Truimph back in March 2003. Nice ship but we did like the Glory better but maybe it was just the itinerary (western) on the Glory (4 stops). The Triumph new itinerary sounds great and would be one we would consider. We haven't done eastern for years and would be nice to go back especially without two days at sea at the end (something we don't care for).

djo631: Did the shower have the shampoo dispenser? We had that in our Miracle cabin and since it was Dove shampoo, it was handy. That's what I use at home. Just wondering. We'll be on the Triumph on December 1.

Yes, Shampoo and Body Wash in the shower dispensers. Not sure what brand I do not believe it was labeled. I shower hot & cold water control takes some adjustment. It is a manual control so you set the temperature, unlike the newer ships with a preset temperature dial. Use caution not to burn yourself as the hot water is very HOT!

JnK: We booked the San Juan trip right at the end of the pier. When you get off the ship and to the end of the pier, there will be plenty of guys trying to get you to take their tour. It's really not that bad, it only cost $20pp, so since I did not see much within walking distance, it was much cheaper than the $40 Carnival tour.

Travlngirl1996: For me personally, the fishing was a nightmare. The boat we booked was only a 30 footer, which was alot smaller than I thought. We paid $600 for a 6 hour tour which turned into a 3 hour tour due to the fact that I was sea sick and my father's back was taking a pounding due to the waves (which according to the captain were not that bad that day, about 1-3 feet). We did catch 1 barracuda on the way back in. Had two others on the line but they bit through the line. Needless to say the boat ride for me was horrible, but I am not that big of a boat person. I think we were about 10 miles offshore. Carnival had some fishing listed, but that was about $149pp for a 2 hour excursion.

acwillie: The ship leave Grand Turk at 8pm. We ate dinner at 8 and I did not notice people any "less" formal than they were the first night.

Hope this helps. Peggy, I wonder if we met on board????

Mark

We are sailing on the Triumph in July. All of the ships we have been on are beautiful and the dining is great. We decided on the Triumph because of the itinerary - HMC, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. This time we decided because of the ports. 4 ports is a plus to us and we are beach/snorkle people. Those fun days at sea are boring IMHO. Well one or two are OK.

Which week in July are you going?

Do you have pictures from your trip? I can't wait, after coming off the Legend I was a little nervous about going on an older ship again but the ports look so nice. I'm all about the beach!
We were on the Legend in December and I have to say that I liked the Triumph a lot better. We had a nice time on the Legend, but I just wasn't crazy about the ship.

I truely appreciate your response to my question. I still have time to decide if we'll do the tour through the ship or take an independant one at the pier. We've never been to San Juan before, so we would like to see as much of the city as possible. We're saving the beach & snorkling for HMC &/or Grand Turk. Thanks again! :)

To go or not to go??? :rolleyes:

Also look up http://www.worldwidefishing.com/stthomas/salt.htm and find the St. Thomas page, there are several other (bigger) boats out there.

Mark

Not to go. It seems fun to me, but I finally pursuaded my DH to go on a cruise. I would hate to have rough seas on his first cruise and turn him away from cruising for good. We will save this excursion for the next cruise :p .

JnK: We booked the San Juan trip right at the end of the pier. When you get off the ship and to the end of the pier, there will be plenty of guys trying to get you to take their tour. It's really not that bad, it only cost $20pp, so since I did not see much within walking distance, it was much cheaper than the $40 Carnival tour.

Travlngirl1996: For me personally, the fishing was a nightmare. The boat we booked was only a 30 footer, which was alot smaller than I thought. We paid $600 for a 6 hour tour which turned into a 3 hour tour due to the fact that I was sea sick and my father's back was taking a pounding due to the waves (which according to the captain were not that bad that day, about 1-3 feet). We did catch 1 barracuda on the way back in. Had two others on the line but they bit through the line. Needless to say the boat ride for me was horrible, but I am not that big of a boat person. I think we were about 10 miles offshore. Carnival had some fishing listed, but that was about $149pp for a 2 hour excursion.

acwillie: The ship leave Grand Turk at 8pm. We ate dinner at 8 and I did not notice people any "less" formal than they were the first night.

Hope this helps. Peggy, I wonder if we met on board????

Mark

Mark, I don't think we met. There were some people on our flight coming home that got on the plane and had cruise critic lanyards. Was that you?

I hear the Cabanas sell out quick, did you book when you got on board? What Cabana were you in.

What time did they let people off at Turks? We will be on in 16 days

I booked the Cabana shortly after getting on the ship (around 1pm). At that time there were only 3 other cabanas booked! We chose the grey one because it was on the far side of the beach where it was MUCH less crowded.

At Grand Turk, I think we got in around noon and debarked shortly thereafter.

Peggy: We flew home on AA at 2:55 from MIA. I did not have any kind of CC lanyard.

Mark

I Just booked an extended balcony above club Rio,is this a mistake???Are their bands there at night till very late?? The description says "dance the night away at club rio" YIKES! I definately don't want to hear the thumping late at night.(Well,not EVERY night) I'm sure I'll be up late a few nights,but I like the option of early sleep!

Having just gotten back from a Triumph Western cruise on 5/19, I would like to add my $.02. We had a Lido deck balcony room (deck 9). Saturday was fine, but on the next morning (Sunday), were met with the must pungent smell of urine! Our immediately thought was that someone had a BAD accident in the hallway. Even the cabin stewards complained! Finally, inquiring with our steward, we were told the plumbing system was malfunctioning, and would be fixed by the time we left Cozumel (Monday evening). It was eventually fixed and the urine smell dissapated. However, there were also smells of sewage on various areas of the ship.

Oh, and the pools / hot tubs were open all week, working just fine!

Archived