I've spent so much already!

EdukatedRedHed

I hope you'll have a most enjoyable time spending more money! :D

I'm not a big shopper, but there are a few things I'd like to buy in Alaska.

Same here! I definitely want an ulu knife (maybe a few for gifts) and a Christmas ornament... maybe a nice fleece or sweatshirt, but that's it. I am definitely looking forward to the excursions that we have spent money on, though!

While I couldn't care less about jewelry, here are some of the things I'd like to bring back:

-Alaska calendar

-Things with Ray Troll's art (Soho Coho in Ketchikan) like a t-shirt, mug, mousepad, etc.

-Ulu knife

-Glacier Smoothie soap (Juneau)

-Artwork of Rie Munoz (Juneau)

-Souvenir book about the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad

-Jams and other food treats from Alaska Wildberry (Homer and Anchorage)

-Christmas ornaments

The other night I made a list of all the trip-related expenses already paid for, and it was a nice round figure. However, the list of things still unpaid (mostly for our 9-night independent land trip) was almost as high! :eek:

Hey EdukatedRedHed,

The Dw and I leave on our cruise 5/20. Flying out of Atl since we live in metro area. From looking on your roll call I see you are traveling with some other Southerners. So it is not so much as what to wear, what to buy, or which shore excursion. IT IS will they have grits?!!

Alaska has always been a pricy cruise and like you we've had a lot to buy. Needed binnoclars, and to upgrade the didital and movie cameras. But now have good stuff for the future. DW and I are really looking foreward to this trip. The pluses more than out weigh the minuses. Hope your cruise is smooth sailing and relaxing. May you have safe travel.:)

I'm going to check this out......

Juneau Artists Gallery

175 South Franklin Street

Juneau, AK 99801

Karen Housley turns clay into silver. The Juneau jewelry designer uses precious metal clays, developed in Japan, that are pure silver powder mixed with organic binders and water. When the clay is fired, the organic binders and water burn away, leaving her art in pure silver.

While I couldn't care less about jewelry, here are some of the things I'd like to bring back:

-Alaska calendar

-Things with Ray Troll's art (Soho Coho in Ketchikan) like a t-shirt, mug, mousepad, etc.

-Ulu knife

-Glacier Smoothie soap (Juneau)

-Artwork of Rie Munoz (Juneau)

-Souvenir book about the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad

-Jams and other food treats from Alaska Wildberry (Homer and Anchorage)

-Christmas ornaments

The other night I made a list of all the trip-related expenses already paid for, and it was a nice round figure. However, the list of things still unpaid (mostly for our 9-night independent land trip) was almost as high! :eek:

Hmm, your list sounds intresting.

Hey EdukatedRedHed,

The Dw and I leave on our cruise 5/20. Flying out of Atl since we live in metro area. From looking on your roll call I see you are traveling with some other Southerners. So it is not so much as what to wear, what to buy, or which shore excursion. IT IS will they have grits?!!

Alaska has always been a pricy cruise and like you we've had a lot to buy. Needed binnoclars, and to upgrade the didital and movie cameras. But now have good stuff for the future. DW and I are really looking foreward to this trip. The pluses more than out weigh the minuses. Hope your cruise is smooth sailing and relaxing. May you have safe travel.:)

I'm looking forward to it too ... however I am NOT looking forward to flying out of the ATL. :rolleyes: I tried my hardest to get flights out of Chattanooga or Nashville, but Atlanta was just so much cheaper.

It's not the layout of the airport, just the number of people!! But I'm going to be sneaky and do the T-1 gate security check-in instead of standing in that huge line in the atrium!! You should look into it! The T-1 security line is usually shorter and you can still hop the tram to the other concourses!!

I'm looking forward to it too ... But I'm going to be sneaky and do the T-1 gate security check-in instead of standing in that huge line in the atrium!! You should look into it! The T-1 security line is usually shorter and you can still hop the tram to the other concourses!!

What is T-1 security? More details please....:confused:

Hey EdukatedRedHed,

.:)

Personally, I am seriously thinking about bringing some grits of my own! While no true self respecting southerner relies on instant grits, it is much better than nothing! Now, if only I can figure out how to bring on a week's supply of Mountain Dew! :p

We've found the best souvenir on our 4 previous Alaska cruises to be our pictures!

They're really not that expensive and it's something that can be enjoyed over and over and over again! We do print the best ones (300 to 400) so we can enjoy and share them in a photo album but we also enjoy them on our computer as a desktop picture and use a slideshow of them as our screensaver.

So take lots of pictures so you can relive your wonderful cruise anytime you want! :)

I'm going to check this out......

Juneau Artists Gallery

175 South Franklin Street

Juneau, AK99801

Karen Housley turns clay into silver. The Juneau jewelry designer uses precious metal clays, developed in Japan, that are pure silver powder mixed with organic binders and water. When the clay is fired, the organic binders and water burn away, leaving her art in pure silver.

Thanks for the tip -- some beautiful things at the Juneau Artist Gallery website. Can't wait to see Mark Kelley's photography.

What is T-1 security? More details please....:confused:

Sorry! I meant to say just "T Gate" ... I'm at work and we have a program called T-1 and I must have had that on my mind!! :rolleyes: The T-gates are the gates you can actually walk to instead of having to take the tram. They have their own entrance off the main airport. Go to the airport home page and in the lower right it tells how long security waits are for both the main security point and the T-gates.

NancyIL, try to stop at the Alaska Wildberry story in Anchorage......for one thing, it is gorgeous.........I have pictures of my daughter in front of their amazing flowers on the porch - absolutely beautiful. They have a huge selection of jams, syrups, chocolates, and other foods (you can watch them processing the stuff there) plus they also had the best selection of really nice AK-made Christmas ornaments that we saw on the whole trip - and that was our last stop before the airport, so I had to do some last minute bag stuffing!

There are a number of really nice craft galleries near the docks in Ketchikan and Juneau.......saw some really pretty painted glass ball tree ornaments and lots of Russian-themed ornaments, beautiful jewelry, clothing items, etc. The Glacier Smoothie soap is expensive - but it is great stuff!!

Libby

Archived