Entertainment Book ... Do check it out!

CC Help Michell

• Administrators

I wasn't sure about the Entertainment Book thing, even tho' tons of people here have recommended it. But when it went on sale for $9.99 plus S&H (total $14.99) I figured, what the heck, and ordered it last week. Just based on what we'd already planned (Polynesian Cove Luau, Deluxe Seating) right off the bat it saved us $58 off our previous booking (for 2 adults). There's also a "cuppin" (as Ron White says) for a free entree up to $24 at Canoes at the Ilikai (our pre-cruise Honolulu hotel), which I feel sure we'll use the first night, being too tired from a flight from the East Coast to go be adventuresome. So in one afternoon, for a $14.99 investment, I just saved us $72. We'll probably also do the Missouri tour at Pearl ($8 savings with 2 for 1) and a few other things as well. DO THIS!!!!

After our cruise we'll give or mail it to our friends who live on Oahu -- they can use it until Nov. 1 for local savings as well. If you don't have friends on Oahu, there are also a ton of coupons usable at national chains for food, home stores, etc.

Oh, PS -- if you are doing Germaine's, there are savings there too -- Germaine's is 25% off up to 4 adults, and the Polynesian Cultural Center is 2 for 1 admission (this doesn't appear to include luau).

There's also a 25% coupon for any one item in Hilo Hattie's. I purchased a great Hawaiian dress there & the savings paid for the book. Besides restaurants and attractions there are also discounts for shopping.:)

We are going on our cruise Nov. 26th, and I had absolutely no idea that all the coupons in the 2007 book would expire 2 months early. We can use nothing in the book except some of the fine dining coupons and a handful of others. :mad:

I'm sure that we will use at least one fine dining coupon (no expiration date on those) which will have the book pay for itself, so it's not a loss or anything, I'm just disappointed that I can't use more coupons. Nothing will be good for local shops, attactions, casual dining, tours, etc! They're taunting me! :)

I don't remember it saying anywhere when I ordered that it was only good until Nov. 1st, but please correct me if it does warn you! I really feel there should be some sort of heads up there, from the company. Or else it really should be the "only first 10 months of 2007 book."

If you are going before Nov. 1st, it's an amazing deal. If not, it's ok if you like fine dining.

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all the coupons for dining and attractions AND the part for fine dining (the punch card items) all expire on Nov. 1st 2007. The car rental coupons have and expiration of the end of year (or perhaps longer) and there might be a few other "national vendors" that have an expiration date of 12/31/07...

and as for the expiration date.... for as long as I can remember (and this is going back for over 10 years now) the book (card) was always Nov.1 through Oct 31. And the books usually become available in September (I'm kind of fuzzy here... some editions may become available in August and others a bit later).

And to the last poster.... what did you expect for $10 for the book... that it would be good for a full year (this is a distressed discount with only a bit less than 6 months left on book -- and at the bottom of the web-page it states -- albeit in small print-- that book expires Nov. 1, 2007)

RachieLynn...

my suggestion to you is for you to register the book in your home state zipcode and then you can use the card for fine dining establishments in your area. You can also print out local coupons for other discounts... that way you're not "out" the $10 you just paid.

cmjaffe... I will register my card in my home state, thanks for the tip.

When I ordered the book, I had no idea that it was only good until Nov. 1st...having never ordered one of these before. I don't see the expiration date anywhere on the website... it only says in small print that the next book (2008) could be shipped out in September if I wanted it. I went through and pretended that I was going to order another 2007, and I couldn't find that anywhere. Maybe I'm not looking well enough, but I don't feel that it should be such a mystery BEFORE you place your order.

It's not the $10 that bothers me, it's the fact that it is advertised as a 2007 book.

I did say in my previous post that I think we will be able to use some of the coupons, so I'm not trying to complain, I just want people who are vacationing in Nov-Dec to know that for the most part, they won't be able to use their book in Hawaii if they order the 2007 version. If I had known, I would have waited and ordered in Sept.

One more thing, I just looked at the book last night, and the fine dining coupons for the most part do not have the Nov. 1st expiration date. Some have none and some have Dec. 1st (I think). Most of the rental car coupons have an expiration date in 2008, actually. And the national retailers are (for the most part) good until Dec. 31st 2007.

At least I can use these.

Aloha,

I ordered one for my Oct. 20th cruise, and it arrived yesterday. There were two fine dining restaurants I was very happy to see: Sam Choy's Diamond Head and the Golden Dragon (in the Hilton). I ate at the Golden Dragon the last time I was in Honolulu, and I think it was the best Chinese food I've ever had! I am hoping that we get to at least one of these. If so, it will pay for the book. I must say that I did not know about the Nov. 1st expiration date either. Luckily, we will be home before Nov. 1st. (Oops.) I was happy to see the Hilo Hattie's coupon also. There are several of those in Hawaii. Besides Honolulu, they have stores in Hilo (duh), Kona, and in Li'hue on Kauai. I know there is one in Lahaina, on Maui. I'm not sure about Kahului. But, you get the idea. They're all over. If you go on their website, http://www.hilohattie.com, they have coupons you can print out. There are also usually Hilo Hattie coupons in those freebie coupon booklets in the airport (near baggage claim).

RachieLynn: I can understand that you would be annoyed. I've never noticed that they don't put the expiration dates on the website. (We knew about the dates because we had ordered our local one several years ago.)

You might call the EB customer service folks directly and tell them exactly what you've told us. It's possible that they would be willing to send you a 2008 Hawaii book for the inconvenience. (They may want to charge you the difference between the ultra-low price you paid for the 2007 and the basically full price the 2008 is selling for now, but they may be willing to ship the 2008 book at no charge as a "We're sorry." ) It couldn't possibly hurt to ask. As my DH often reminds me, "What's the worst that could happen? They'll say no. If you don't ask, you definitely won't get what you want."

Be sure to check out the nationwide coupons (grocery, hardware, etc.) because they can be used wherever you are. Also, the car rental coupons are good nationwide and don't expire until next June.

Hope you can work it out.

beachchick

We are going on our cruise Nov. 26th, and I had absolutely no idea that all the coupons in the 2007 book would expire 2 months early. We can use nothing in the book except some of the fine dining coupons and a handful of others. :mad:

I'm sure that we will use at least one fine dining coupon (no expiration date on those) which will have the book pay for itself, so it's not a loss or anything, I'm just disappointed that I can't use more coupons. Nothing will be good for local shops, attactions, casual dining, tours, etc! They're taunting me! :)

I don't remember it saying anywhere when I ordered that it was only good until Nov. 1st, but please correct me if it does warn you! I really feel there should be some sort of heads up there, from the company. Or else it really should be the "only first 10 months of 2007 book."

If you are going before Nov. 1st, it's an amazing deal. If not, it's ok if you like fine dining.

I know it's disappointing that you can't use all the restaurant coupons for your trip to Hawaii. But you can use the book's coupons for great rental car discounts. I bought a book for a town I don't even live near and won't visit, used the Enterprise car coupon and saved a bunch of $$ on a recent trip to Florida. Many of the coupons in the book are not location specific. Beachchick had a great idea too - it's worth a try.

For those thinking of ordering, you can go to places like ebates or fatwallet and click thru their site to the Entertainment site before purchasing your book and receive a $4 or $5 rebate, bringing the price down even further -

AND, it appears if you don't already have a fatwallet account, they're giving a $5 signup bonus. I have not used Fatwallet before, but I have used Ebates (I just got a $43 check from them the other day) and they are a very nice resource for saving $$. In fact, they do have a few travel websites you can click thru to and receive rebates...part of my last rebate check was for a cruise I took in March.

The book is very heavily filled with O'ahu places, mostly Honolulu. There really aren't very many coupons for the outer islands. But, any savings of $10 pays for the book, so go for it!

We get the book each year, use what we can for our three months on the Big Island and Maui during Feb-March-April, so we haven't had to worry about those pesky November expirations.

The Hilo Hattie's coupon is only good for a Hilo Hattie's label clothing item at regular price. We did so well on their sale merchandise that we never did use the 25% coupon in three months!

Enjoy the book....it's worth the $10.

• 2 months later...

Just to follow up on this, beachchick and everyone else:

I wrote the Entertainment Book people a nice letter at least a month ago after finding out that the 2007 book I purchased expired (mostly) by Nov. 1, 2007. I cruise on 11/23/07.

However, I just looked at my credit card statement and I noticed that they recently gave me a full refund! :) I didn't get a letter or anything, so it was a nice surprise!

Granted, it wasn't a ton of money, but I was really looking forward to using some of the coupons, and was disappointed when I couldn't. Now, I'm definitely going to be buying a 2008 book for Hawaii.

I got an entertainment book the last time we went to Hawaii (7 years ago) and used enough of it to pay for itself. I then mailed it to a fellow couponer who actually lived on the island at the time - a military benefit! Anyway, do the current books have anything on attractions on Maui, Hilo, Kona, or Honolulu that would be possible to use on one day trips? We are going on a cruise in September, and I'll be happy to take a partly used or non used book off your hands for the right price if there's something we can use or even if you just want to send a few of the coupons in an envelope, that might work out better for the limited ones we might be able to use ! No use letting them go to waste! Feel free to contact me at dspen1111@hotmail.com if interested or you prefer to talk off line. Thanks!

RachieLnnn: I'm glad that they refunded your money. It would have been nice to have a letter saying, "We're sorry. You're right, we should put the dates on the website," but a refund is better than "a poke in the eye with a sharp stick" (as the saying goes). Besides, you now have nationwide coupons you might be able to use, and they didn't cost you a penny. May I suggest that you wait until early fall to order the 2008 book? It's possible that as a registered/repeat customer, they'll send you the discount/special emails. We've already gotten one for $10 off and free shipping for the 2008 book. That would be a nice little savings.

beachchick

In case anyone is interested, there are several of these books available on ebay for .99 + $6 shipping. One is bid at $1.49 right now, but all the others have no bids and most auctions expire today. There's an 08 book for $35 too, in case you want to go that route.

In case anyone is interested, there are several of these books available on ebay for .99 + $6 shipping. One is bid at $1.49 right now, but all the others have no bids and most auctions expire today. There's an 08 book for $35 too, in case you want to go that route.

I didn't think that the 2008 books were out yet. Anyway I picked up the 2007 book, it was $7.99 plus $1 shipping and I got $5 back for ordering through a referral link. I am not at all impressed with it. Maybe I am picky about where I eat (I am) but none of the restaurants I plan to eat at are in there. I will probably use the B1G1F mini-golf coupon, so that will save $7.50 and pay for the book. They have a B1G1F offer for the Polynesian Cultural Center but you have to call to make a reservation and they can refuse it if they have too many reservations. Good idea about selling it on ebay after I get back. Actually, if anyone wants it, I'd be willing to sell it for a few dollars plus actual shipping and it will be almost unused.

We are there from 10/28 to 11/5 so the book expires before we return.

I'm looking for just one coupon in the book for the Germaines Luau. I think it's 20-25% off up to 4 for the Luau.

If anyone has the bookand they did not use or do not plan to use this coupon, could you please send it to me? I will pay for the shipping.

e-mail me at autumnsam at aol.com

Archived