Yusupovs' Palace ?

Hi

While in St. Petersberg I definitely want to see Peterhof and St.Catherine's Palaces, but what about Yusupovs ?

Have many people been there? Is it impressive on the inside and /or outside ? Is it interesting because that is where they tried to kill Rasputin? Is it worthwhile giving up something else to see this palace?

I would really welcome some thoughts on Yusupovs' Palace.

Many thanks.

Heather

Each palace is somewhat unique and has its own story. We did a 2 day tour with Red October and sometimes it became too much information. Our guide was excellent and really knew her stuff, but it does become a bit much at times. Peterhoff and Catherines are kind of "in the country" surrounded by beautiful grounds. As I recall, Yusopov is in town, more of a REALLY big mansion. But the story was interesting and to stand in the room where Rasputin was killed and hear the story is a unique experience.

I looked into including Yusopov, but left it out because of fear of overload - we are into the 'comfort tour' mode. I did look it up through the internet and found some good photos of the wax models. Not exactly Madame Tussauds, but interesting. Don't ask where I found it, just keep searching if you are interested :)

The palace is very impressive. The difference is that is not a imperial palace but just the city palace of a noble family. And to see that this family palace includes a theater with movable stage and 200 seats gives you an impression of the unbelievable wealth of Sankt Petersburg. Besides, there is the basement room where Rasputin was killed. It is an interesting story, although the room itsself is not spectacular. But the rest of palace surely is!

The Yusopov Palace is well worth a visit. It's central to St. Petersburg and extremely interesting. Because it is smaller than the huge grand palaces everything is more accessible and perhaps easier to appreciate. It is the palace where Queen Elizabeth & the Duke of Edinburgh requested to be entertained on a trip they made some years ago and I recall seeing a photo of them on display. Each part of it is well worth viewing especially the theatre and of course the room where the plot to kill Rasputin was discussed and carried out.

We did all 3 -- Peterhof, Catherine's Palace and Yusopov's. As someone already posted it is more of a "town mansion" and is different from the other two in that respect.

The theater is not to be missed. My teenage son enjoyed the basement with the wax figures; I thought they were kind of cheesy and would've liked it better without them.

Archived