Hawaii Cheat Sheet - compiled from many contributors on the forum

gloryb2god

Just an add on to the list. We went to Cheeseburger in Paradise in Waikiki as recommended on the list and the burgers were ok. We then tried Teddy's Bigger Burgers and the burgers were off the hook! So if you are looking for a good burger, try Teddy's!

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing that this list began in '07 with most of the recommendations, would it be wise to accept these suggestions as current and still applicable? With only one short day in each port, I don't think there is much room for trial and error. I definitely will print this out but will still do much more homework for verification.

• 3 months later...
Seeing that this list began in '07 with most of the recommendations, would it be wise to accept these suggestions as current and still applicable? With only one short day in each port, I don't think there is much room for trial and error. I definitely will print this out but will still do much more homework for verification.

True, but it does provide a great place to start the research. Lot's of good ideas.

Planning a May 2014 Pride of America cruise and I just found this thread...what a gold mine of information!!

Marlene

May is a fantastic time to do this cruise - wish we could do it again!

Can people rent cars at the cruise port in Maui?

No, but there will be shuttles that will take you to their respective stores. You should make a reservation as car might be scarce on the day of.

• 1 month later...

Hello

Thanks for all of the info!

We will be cruising to Hawaii in 2015 for two occasions. 1st being my 50th and the second is our 30th anniversary. What we wanted to do is renew our vows at sunset on the beach. Do you have any suggestions for this?

I have not picked a cruise line or specific cruise so I don't have any info on the nights we will be there. But any info would be great. I have not contacted any TA yet, I normally book our cruises myself.

Thanks for your help.

Hello

Thanks for all of the info!

We will be cruising to Hawaii in 2015 for two occasions. 1st being my 50th and the second is our 30th anniversary. What we wanted to do is renew our vows at sunset on the beach. Do you have any suggestions for this?

I have not picked a cruise line or specific cruise so I don't have any info on the nights we will be there. But any info would be great. I have not contacted any TA yet, I normally book our cruises myself.

Thanks for your help.

We are renewing our vowels (50th) on a Maui beach this Oct - ceremony will be done by Pastor Laki Kaahumanu, the great-great grandson of Queen Ka'ahumanu wife of King Kamehameha. He's the Head Pastor of Kaanapali Beach Hotel -Garden Chapel by the Sea. Very popular, great price, unique and fun!

His web link is below-if you Google him there are several videos of weddings he's done.

http://hawaiianroyaltyweddings.com/

Where in WI are you? We live just outside of Madison

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know where there might be this type of information but current??

Jancruz1

Before every cruise, I do my own research by looking through guide books and then googling each port -- there are often many tourism websites and it seems most ports have their own website. This is the case for Hawaii.

I do the research for my family, and my hubby and daughter will help vote on what we do (if we do plan anything...sometimes we just wing it). If I have further questions about a port, I would check here on CC about something specific.

Our last three cruises have been the Hawaiian cruise out of LA on Princess (between 2005 and last December) and there were a few things we've repeated (my hubby keeps wanting to check out the beach by the Hawaiian Hilton Village each time as that's where we stayed in Honolulu for part of our honeymoon, for example). Sometimes we even do a tour (the three of us absolutely loved the Hollywood and Waterfalls tour on Kauai on our last cruise).

So if there is something you've read on an old post, often it's easy enough to check with the Internet's help or just start a specific thread on this board.

The one thing I've heard might be changing soon in Hawaii (unless it's already being done at this time) is the Aloha Tower Marketplace and the cruise terminal right there are being torn down with the land to be used by a college for another purpose. We were told this by the owner of a kiosk at the ATM. That was sad for us to hear as we have always stopped by there to buy something (I think we've even purchased a matching aloha set of shirt and dress for hubby and me some years ago).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is our plans which are pretty much set, so here is our itinerary. We will report back after our cruise with the good and bad.

April 24 - Arrive - We hope to meet up with Melissa's cousin who is stationed in Honolulu and buy him dinner - DK's Steakhouse?

April 25 - Explore Waikiki- beach time - Dinner @ House Without Keys

April 26 - Ambassador Circle the Island and Polynesian Cultural Center excursion. (Long day and whirlwind tour but we will see alot)

April 27 - Waikiki Beach day - check-in to the Radiance

April 28 - Kauai - Hollywood in Hawaii - Movies and Waterfalls

April 29 - Kona - Body Glove Snorkel and Dolphin Encounter

April 30 - Hilo - Hilo & Kilauea Volcano

May 1 - Lahaina -Ka'anapali Beach Day - Lunch @ Fleetwoods - Dinner @ Old Lahaina Luau

May 2 - Waikiki - Arizona Memorial & USS Missouri

May 3 - 7 Seadays. Relax? Party? Reserve our next cruise. (Jewel of the Seas January 17, 2015 Southern Caribbean) Yea!!

May 8 - Victoria - Enchanting Butchart Gardens - Fresh Caught Fish lunch at port area - Irish Bar

May 9 - Vancouver - Depart for home - (BOO! HSSS!)

May 10 - Return to work? OMG! That will suck!!

Will admit I did not read all the posts, so this may be a 2nd vote.

Booked this in July 2013..... Wow x6 for the great operators and experience. Total line time is over 2 miles. There is a 3/4 mile line at the end. Check out their website: flyinhawaiianzipline.com

Wish we could have gone back-to-back. :D

[quote=

The one thing I've heard might be changing soon in Hawaii (unless it's already being done at this time) is the Aloha Tower Marketplace and the cruise terminal right there are being torn down with the land to be used by a college for another purpose. /QUOTE]

Did you mean the International Marketplace or the Aloha Tower? The International Marketplace is no longer there. :mad: It has been torn down. I can't believe they would get rid of the Aloha Towers.

[quote=

The one thing I've heard might be changing soon in Hawaii (unless it's already being done at this time) is the Aloha Tower Marketplace and the cruise terminal right there are being torn down with the land to be used by a college for another purpose. /QUOTE]

Did you mean the International Marketplace or the Aloha Tower? The International Marketplace is no longer there. :mad: It has been torn down. I can't believe they would get rid of the Aloha Towers.

Everything I've read says that the Aloha Tower is currently "in a state of disrepair" and no one is sure what the university's plans are for it. However, there seems to be agreement that local cultural groups will not allow it to be demolished as it is such a historical landmark.