Holland America Questions

alonzo14

Are the pools on Holland America ships fresh or salt water? Do they offer a Thermal Suite package? If so how much and what does it include? What is the official time for embarkation in Ft. Lauderdale? I also heard that you will not be let into the treminal until 11:ooa.m. for secruity reasons. Is this true?

Thanks so much for your input!!!

Not sure if this is the case for all HAL ships, but the Oosterdam and Zuiderdam pools were freshwater. Both offered a Thermal Suite package which was $40/day - a full-cruise package was offered the first day which was $150/person or $250 for 2 people. (I took advantage of this on the Zuiderdam - HEAVENLY - would do it again in a heartbeat.)

I'm not sure on your embarkation question. We arrived at the FTL terminal around 12:30 and were among the first in line for our cruise. I would guess they would not let you in too early simply because they are still clearing out the disembarking passengers from the previous cruise.

Have fun!

Thank you Curious. We are considering the Westerdam. What is included in HAL's thermal suite besides the heated loungers, hydrotherapy pool and sauna?

I know early embarkation is 11:00a.m. but I'm assuming the regular embarkation time is 12:00p.m. or 1:00p.m.?

Also is it worth the money to book a SY/SS category over a VA especially a VA aft cabin?

Thanks

Thermal Pools are fancy swimming pools. Basically the water is temperature controlled to approximately 98.6 degrees and the water is treated with vitamins/minerals. It is like taking a mineral bath in a small swimming pool rather than a bath tub. It also has some jets so it kind of resembles a whirpool as well. My guess as to why there is a charge is twofold: One so that HAL can make some extra money and secondly because it would be way too crowded otherwise.

On the Noordam the package included the thermal pool, the heated ceramic chairs, and a steam room. It was a bit pricey ($40 per day per person) but we did it on the sea day so we got good use out of it and had a great time. The heated ceramic chairs were my favorite. They have a nice view of the ocean as you sit in them.

It is true that HAL is not allowed to allow passangers into the Ft. Lauderdale Terminal until 11:00 AM for security reasons. I don't know if this is a HAL policy or a Fort Lauderdale Ports Authority Policy or a USCG policy. We have never had a long line sailing out of FLL though. Embarkation will begin after the ship has cleared US Customs and Border Patrol and all passengers have been disembarked. You will be given a boarding number when you check in w/ your documents and then take a seat and wait for your number to be called. Also, cabins should be ready about 1:00 PM and they ask once onboard that you do not go to your cabin until there is an announcement. We always use this time to get aquinted with the ship and to grab a bite to eat at the lido. Take the time to explore the pubic rooms which are great on any HAL ships. Just my suggestion. I think I will do the Art Tour that I downloaded on my Ipod from the HAL website for the Noordam during this time.

Jared

Jared

jtl513: Good comment!! I consider it seawater or saltwater made frseh by desalination!! Sooo are the pools on the Westerdam desalianized water?
Yes

Desal water, on land or sea, is "fresh", as in "no more salt".
Of course. It was a rhetorical question directed to the OP.

Hi!

We were on the Volendam for Spring break in March and pleased to find that the pools were filled with fresh water. Have a great night!:)

Pam

Yes - desalinated (or desalinized) sea water.

Thanks so much everyone. You have been most helpful!!! I may have more questions later. This is our first time on HAL. We liked the itinerary for December so we cancelled with Princess and booked HAL.

Hi!

I sailed on the Westerdam in Novemeber 2006. The pools had fresh water. We had a ball one day when it was a little rough and the water was moving from side to side. It was like being on a ride at an amusement park.

Enjoy your cruise. I don't think you will be disappointed. We loved our first HAL cruise and plan to sail on HAL again soon.

anne

anneinca: Thanks so much for the encouraging news!!! I'm really glad they are freshwater!!!! We have booked one of the most recent talked about deck 5 verandah cabins so we'll see what others have to say about these. I really don't mind them being covered as I don't need too much sun.

We have booked one of the most recent talked about deck 5 verandah cabins so we'll see what others have to say about these. I really don't mind them being covered as I don't need too much sun.
It's only the re-fitted Westerdam that may have the large overhang on deck 5 aft, and since you're boarding in FLL I know you're not on her! :)

Archived