Tipping on excursions

It's been a while since our last cruise and I am wondering....what's the opinion on tipping for excursions? Do you tip at all? What percentage do you recommend if you do? We usually tip more than is expected for most things but I have no idea even what is "expected" or usual!

We are going on two excursions next week while in the eastern Caribbean: 1/2 day sail in St. Thomas ($300 for 4) and an all day tour with Bernard/SXM tours ($120 for 4) in St. Martin.

I want to bring cash to pay everyone but I don't want to bring a lot more cash than necessary.

Thanks for your input!!!

Yes we tip..........and it really depends on how good the guide was.........anywhere from $5 to $10 depending on length of tour, cost of tour and how good the guide was.........

of course have never taken a $300 tour.......so I can't tell you how much to tip on that one.......but I've never used a set percentage.

If we do a "ship's excursion" and we get what we pay for, we don't tip. If the guide goes out of their way to show us something extra, a tip is in order! A few bucks is fine. The tour people are making decent money--it's not like they are wait-staff! Above and beyond service deserves a tip--regular service on excursions, I don't think tipping is needed for mediocre!

Thanks so much for the perspectives! I believe that on both excursions, we are working directly with the owner. It sounds like reserving tips for outstanding service would be appropriate.

Thanks again!

You need to be aware of something. If you book through the ship the price is so inflated and a tip unless it is over and beyond is not necessary. On your own, you are saving tons and a tip is appreciated. When in jamaica we did a great tour with trevor Hudlin and spoke to others about tipping. They were going to tip based on the total he was charging us...but the total included the entrance to tubing... so when they realized that, they just tipped a certain percent of the tour price. Not the admission prices to certain places. Most private tours do not stick out their hands and make you feel uncomfortable with the tips. The only time this happened to us was when we first starting cruising and took a ship excursion and they never stopped talking about what we should tip them. Last time ever going through the ship. Now if I do ziplining and most are done only through the ship on Jamaica and St maarten, if the guides are especially wonderful i will tip. When we did the tubing and the guides worked hard to get my 2 kids out of the reeds on the side of the river, and helped them jump into the river from the river bank...this deserved a tip.

Archived