cruise stops in Virginia, Maryland & S.Carolina

fllady

Can anyone give me some tour information and what is available to see and do in these ports of call. Thank you!:)

1- Norfolk, Virgina

2- Baltimore, Maryland

3-Charlston, South Carolina

If you Goggle Baltimore Inner Harbour you will find more than enough to keep you busy. The National Aquariem is in the Inner Harbour. Best to book ahead for a time and you can give the lines a miss. I think anyone would love a day here. Lots to see and do. Enjoy:)

B.

If you Goggle Baltimore Inner Harbour you will find more than enough to keep you busy. The National Aquariem is in the Inner Harbour. Best to book ahead for a time and you can give the lines a miss. I think anyone would love a day here. Lots to see and do. Enjoy:)

B.

Thank you!! 1 down 2 to go!!;)

Charleston, SC has enough to see to keep you busy for at least a week. You will want to try and take a plantation tour, then an open carrige ride around the battery section of Charleston to see all the wonderful old homes and maybe sneak in a ride out into the harbor to visit Ft Sumpter. Something about the start of the Civil War or the war of independence depending on which team you are talking with. Unfortunately, a short port visit will most likely allow for only one of the above. I vote for the plantation tour.

Charleston, SC has enough to see to keep you busy for at least a week. You will want to try and take a plantation tour, then an open carrige ride around the battery section of Charleston to see all the wonderful old homes and maybe sneak in a ride out into the harbor to visit Ft Sumpter. Something about the start of the Civil War or the war of independence depending on which team you are talking with. Unfortunately, a short port visit will most likely allow for only one of the above. I vote for the plantation tour.

The carriage ride though the old part of Charleston was fascinating. The historical part of town is very walkable, also there are several homes that you can tour and lots of good places to eat. We didn't have time to do any plantation tours, but I'm sure they would be good. The Fort Sumter tour is interesting, you have to ride a boat out to the island. Patriots Point has the Yorktown( retired aircraft carrier), a submarine, and a WWII destroyer, all of which you can go on. If you are only going to be there for a one ay port visit, I would opt for downtown... carriage tour, historic home tour, etc. that would probably be your best bet fotr the available time.

Thank you songanddance and 1827 cruise. Because my husband is disabled I think we'll do the carriage tour and after that see what we can fit into the day. 2 down and Norfolk VA to go!:)

Can anyone give me some tour information and what is available to see and do in these ports of call. Thank you!:)

1- Norfolk, Virgina

2- Baltimore, Maryland

3-Charlston, South Carolina

I happen to live in Norfolk. At the passenger ship Terminal you will find the Nauticus Maritme Museum and the battleship Wisconson you can tour. Downtown you have the Crysler Museum of Art, The McArthur Memorial where Geleral McArthur is burried. The Norfolk Zoo. The scope and Chrysler hall are nearby and have many concerts and sports events. A ferry ride across the river from the tour boat is downtown Portsmouth with several other museums. On the other side of Norfolk, next to the airport is the Norfolk Botanical Gardens. You are about and hour ride from Williamsburg and Jamestown. across the bay in Hampton is Langley's Nasa Air and Space Museum. It would help if I knew how long you will be in port. I have just scratched the surface. There are port tours by boat. Fort Monroe which is the only North American fort still protected by a moat. I hope this helps.

I happen to live in Norfolk. At the passenger ship Terminal you will find the Nauticus Maritme Museum and the battleship Wisconson you can tour. Downtown you have the Crysler Museum of Art, The McArthur Memorial where Geleral McArthur is burried. The Norfolk Zoo. The scope and Chrysler hall are nearby and have many concerts and sports events. A ferry ride across the river from the tour boat is downtown Portsmouth with several other museums. On the other side of Norfolk, next to the airport is the Norfolk Botanical Gardens. You are about and hour ride from Williamsburg and Jamestown. across the bay in Hampton is Langley's Nasa Air and Space Museum. It would help if I knew how long you will be in port. I have just scratched the surface. There are port tours by boat. Fort Monroe which is the only North American fort still protected by a moat. I hope this helps.

Thank you so much! I knew I could count on my CC friends to help us decide. We'll be there from 8am to 6pm, so depending on the weather and your help we have our day planned.:)

I'll take this opportunity to promote my own town. From Baltimore, Washington, DC is only a 40-minute $14 train ride and there are tons of sites to see in the nation's capital (Capitol, Smithsonian, monuments, White House), etc., etc., all for free.

Wow, I was going to post a list of Nofolk attractions but Screwball already did a great job! The link below will also give you some ideas of what special events are going on, etc.

Norfolk is a beautiful city! A few decades ago she was not doing too well but her citizens and leaders have completely turned her around and she's quite an impressive site to see today.

http://www.norfolkcvb.com/

Enjoy!

Cheryl

Oh, one new thing I forgot to mention. If DH is into World War II Aircraft, there is the new Virginia Beach Airport. It's a little drive from downtown Norfolk, but well worth the trip. It's a private collection of (last time I checked, 11 but growing) World War II aircraft. The entire collection including the airport is owned by one guy who opens it free of charge to people who want to see the planes. These are not museum pieces that just sit without engines, roped off 50 feet away from you. You can get right up to these planes. All aircraft are in operating condition and may be taken out anytime the guy feels like it. Since it's not a real popular place yet, even among locals, you will probably need a rental car. If you or DH are interested in more information e-mail me at:

ericvandervelden@msn.com

Eric

Hi,

Annapolis is a wonderful walking town and about a 30 minutes drive from Baltimore. The town itself is alot like Newport which your ship will also be visiting. YOu would have to rent a car for the day....Naval Academy is right there and a neat place to visit, you need a picture ID to get on the academy.

Baltimore has plenty to do too....the aquarium is great, the Maryland Science Center is also quite a fun place to visit. There is alot to do there for your day. Lots of places to eat. Pray for a nice, sunny day.

Take care,

Sandi

Thanks again to you all. This is a 16 day cruise with 11 ports, so I know we won't be able to do them all, but some of the things you all have told us about sounds great. Now like sandi1967 said, we are praying for nice weather!!:D

Jeanne, what sort of things do you like to do? If you like history, you'll find more than enough in all 3 cities. In Baltimore, you could visit Fort McHenry, just 5 minutes from the Cruise terminal and learn the story of the Star Spangled Banner, which was penned by Francis Scott Key as he watched the Fort get bombarded during the War of 1812. Even if you don't get there, look for the 15 star flag flying above the Fort as you pass just before you dock. You could visit any number of restaurants and crack some hard shell blue crabs. They're Maryland's signature dish.

Jeanne, what sort of things do you like to do? If you like history, you'll find more than enough in all 3 cities. In Baltimore, you could visit Fort McHenry, just 5 minutes from the Cruise terminal and learn the story of the Star Spangled Banner, which was penned by Francis Scott Key as he watched the Fort get bombarded during the War of 1812. Even if you don't get there, look for the 15 star flag flying above the Fort as you pass just before you dock. You could visit any number of restaurants and crack some hard shell blue crabs. They're Maryland's signature dish.

Very true, you can't visit Maryland and not have a couple of crabs and a cold beer along with them! I think that Phillips Seafood is in the harbor area.....

Take care,

sandi

Take

Very true, you can't visit Maryland and not have a couple of crabs and a cold beer along with them! I think that Phillips Seafood is in the harbor area.....

Take care,

sandi

Take

Funny you should mention Philips seafood, our cruise freinds also recomended them for lunch! And the crabs with a cold beer sounds really good!! :D

Signman, I think we will look over what you all have talked about and decide and do a little tour on our own. Because DH is disabled and it will MAryland will be one of our last ports, I am sure he is going to be a little pooped and so we'll play it day by day. Thanks again, because you gave us some good information of things close to the port and thats what we wanted.:)

I live in Charleston and have to say that I TOTALLY agree with taking the carriage tour. I am not sure if it's an excursion on the ship you'll be arriving in, but if so, I assure you that you can do it for less money on your own and it's easy to find the tour operators!

You could also do the "combo tour" as they call it and do the harbor tour as well.

Being that your husband is disabled, be advised that the streets in Charleston are not the easiest to walk on. There are a lot of cobblestone streets and just uneven streets and sidewalks. You can get around, but I wanted to forewarn you!

When are you visiting this area?

I live in Charleston and have to say that I TOTALLY agree with taking the carriage tour. I am not sure if it's an excursion on the ship you'll be arriving in, but if so, I assure you that you can do it for less money on your own and it's easy to find the tour operators!

You could also do the "combo tour" as they call it and do the harbor tour as well.

Being that your husband is disabled, be advised that the streets in Charleston are not the easiest to walk on. There are a lot of cobblestone streets and just uneven streets and sidewalks. You can get around, but I wanted to forewarn you!

When are you visiting this area?

Thank you for the warning. I truly appreciate that because there have been times we did a tour and he had to sit on the bus because of bad walking conditions.:)

You're welcome! Don't stay on the bus or ship.....definitely see Charleston. The carriage tour is one that you won't have to deal with walking on the streets. It's a beautiful city. Lots of history, sightseeing, and shopping. Great restaurants, too!

Also.....here are some links for the tours offered:

http://www.oldsouthcarriagetours.com/

OR the combo tour as I mentioned....

http://www.charlestonharbortours.com/tours.cfm

When hubby and I got married we took all of the guests on a carriage tour of the city and everyone loved it - and we're local residents!

Agree with the comments about Charleston sidewalks. Unfortunately they are all cobblestone, brick, flagstone, etc and very hard to walk on even if you don't have a disability! Agree with the carriage tour.

Go to the rooftop of the Market Pavillion hotel (on the corner of East Bay and Market not far at all from the port, 3ish blocks) and sit on the roof with a cool cocktail. The best views in the world!

• 2 weeks later...

HI, I just wanted to stop in and thank you all for such good ideas for touring. My roll call is happy also. We can always count on our CC friends to help us out. Hope I will be able to do the same for you all some time.:D

Archived